Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice - Haywards Heath/Wivelsfield/Burgess Hill

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
A couple of friends of mine are thinking of moving down this way and asked about Haywards Heath, Wivelsfield and Burgess Hill. To be honest i only ever pass through them, so i'm not best placed to comment.

What are they like to live in? My friends, who are in their early 30's and might start a family soon, have asked specifically about shops, pubs and restuarants.

They've also asked about noise from Gatwick? I figured that it wasn't a problem. (its a bit of an issue for them as they used to live in the Heathrow flightpath; drove them mad).

Thoughts?

cheers

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Burgess Hill and Wivlesfield might be a bit under serviced with pubs and places to eat for them.

Haywards Heath has a few nice resturants and bars. Nice old family houses as well ( although might be a bit more expensive than the other two ). I find BH a souless place.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Wivlesfield is acctually a VILLAGE thats no wher near the Station. Id choose Haywards Heath over Burgess Hill everytime!

As far as Gatwick goes, i you sit out in your garden and its quiet you can hear them but you dont even notice them most of the time.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I would choose either Hassocks or Hurstpierpoint over them places all day long.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Both Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill are bland. Quite pleasant places to live but nothing exciting about them. I went to school in one and grew up in the other.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Both Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill are bland. Quite pleasant places to live but nothing exciting about them. I went to school in one and grew up in the other.

I'd agree with that

The town itself is becoming busier but the town centre seems to be dying a bit with the recession e.g. the number of shops now empty

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Haywards Heath is overpriced because of the train links. IMO it's a godawful place full of snobs, but hey if that's your thing then why not try Horsham, which is a much prettier town, with better shops and an even bigger class of snob.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Wivlesfield is acctually a VILLAGE thats no wher near the Station. Id choose Haywards Heath over Burgess Hill everytime!

As far as Gatwick goes, i you sit out in your garden and its quiet you can hear them but you dont even notice them most of the time.
wivelsfield green is a village thats nowhere near the station , they are two distinct places.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Haywards Heath is overpriced because of the train links. IMO it's a godawful place full of snobs, but hey if that's your thing then why not try Horsham, which is a much prettier town, with better shops and an even bigger class of snob.
so predictable, its got lots of people who want a pleasant environment to live and bring up kids, with easy commutes to london, brighton and gatwick, its got no more or no less snobs than any other place.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I'd agree with that

The town itself is becoming busier but the town centre seems to be dying a bit with the recession e.g. the number of shops now empty

Which town are you referring to Robbie?

EDIT - just noticed your location is Burgess Hill.

Last edited:

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton

Ta.

Links to London is an issue for my friends. From that point of view Hurstpierpoint is too out of the way innit?

And would houses in Hassocks generally be more expensive than HH/BH/Wiv?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Spot on. Both are far better places to live than those other places.

Wivelsfield - MILES from the train station, very dull. Burgess Hill - slight improvements in recent years but still awfully boring and chavvy. Haywards Heath - dull dull dull with bells on.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ta.

Links to London is an issue for my friends. From that point of view Hurstpierpoint is too out of the way innit?

And would houses in Hassocks generally be more expensive than HH/BH/Wiv?
depends whereabouts in london your friend needs to get to , if its london bridge then haywards heath is the best choice as all FCC trains stop there, this is not the case with hassocks or burgess hill.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
The Wivelsfield end (Worlds End) of Burgess Hill is nice and is served well by trains as it also includes those trains that go via Victoria to Lewes and Eastbourne. Burgess Hill will the same as a lot of small commuter towns with some good housing and some appaling housing. The town centre is compact which can not be said for Haywards Heath and the parking is better, though as posters have saidit is struggling like a lot of smaller towns. For a better train service then Haywards Heath will win hands down but the station is not that close to a lot of housing unless you want to buy small 1930's sytle terrraced housing. Hope this helps

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Spot on. Both are far better places to live than those other places.

Wivelsfield - MILES from the train station, very dull. Burgess Hill - slight improvements in recent years but still awfully boring and chavvy. Haywards Heath - dull dull dull with bells on.
and reigate is fun fun fun ??

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Hurstpierpoint is close enough to Hassocks.

For the commuters Hassocks is better because there is a 20% chance of getting a seat on the train. From Wivelsfield or HH there is a 0% chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here