Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51
  1. #41
    the right one
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bridlington Yorkshire
    Posts
    6,752


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not true though, Football league attendances were up for the fifth season running last year reaching a 50-year high. And that's not the Prem, that's talking football league only.

    Football League attendances boom 5th year running
    Ok I accept that but Coventry have only increased their crowd by about three thousand since moving from Highfield Road. Is the increase in crowds only for certain clubs? Or is that across the board
    Join my Beer Group. Its in the Social Group section

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #42
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Location
      The land of chocolate
      Posts
      1,364


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by croydon seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Is our support bad though? I mean we rarely get below 5000 in the league and this has been the case for 10 years. How many third division clubs would still get gates like ours in our circumstance, the club have made the most of Withdean but it is an absolute hole that despite it's limitations still has a decent core base of fans.

      Not meaning to pick on Swindon but how many Swindon fans would turn up to watch their team at a Withdean style 'Stadium'? I suspect not bloody many, the fact that we still have average support in this division shows our potential imo.
      I agree to an extent. For the past few years Withdean has clearly not exactly been a selling point, yet the same old 5000 loyally turn up time and again. I meant our support has been nothing to write home about, apart from the late 70s, throughout our history, when our facilities were comparable to other clubs, not light years away as they are now.
      Don't make me run. I am full of chocolate.
    • #43

      0 Not allowed!
      Knob

      Build the bloody stadium and they will come, I'm tired of telling people about the potential of this club. I've been going since 1975 so I think I can speak from experience, the club was practically ripped apart in the late 80's and early 90's and thats why the crowds never came.

      I meet people locally every day who used to support the club but got out of the 'habit' when we left Brighton and then came back to Withdean. I'll tell you now there are thousands of people all over Sussex who feel the same.
    • #44
      Really Up the Junction DIFFBROOK's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2005
      Location
      Yorkshire
      Posts
      2,236


      0 Not allowed!
      I think our catchment area is a bit of a red herring. Mainly becuase its so easy to get to London. Therefore, although the Brighton area may be big, its very fickle. At the end of the day its all about the product. Which league we are, the ground, style of play etc. At the moment we play in an athletics stadium, in the 3rd division and playing poorly

      There are kids out there that want to see good football, but currently are being taken to see London sides. If we can win matches, move into the Championship with Falmer then yes we can easily get crowds of around 15,000.

      If we are in this league and playing poorly, then even with Falmer I think we are only talking about crowds of say 6-9000.

      The trick is to get into the Championship and stay there
    • #45
      Members Notters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Guiseley
      Posts
      24,520


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by burrish-gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I meet people locally every day who used to support the club but got out of the 'habit' when we left Brighton and then came back to Withdean. I'll tell you now there are thousands of people all over Sussex who feel the same.
      I hear this from loads of people too, but they are LIARS! The crowds in the last few seasons at the Goldstone were comparable to the crowds now. If all the people who say they used to go regularly before we went Gillingham actually did, we'd have been averaging 50,000!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something
    • #46

      0 Not allowed!
      The trick is to convert the maybes, Brighton seemingly has quite a transient population and alot of people move here from elsewhere (me!) Its very similar to the commuter belt along the M4. The majority of people who moved to Reading and Swindon were originally from London and supporting their local team was not in the family make up. My fathers family was from west London and were QPR. I only started supporting Swindon following a schools initative. With the building of Falmer the work really begins, the club needs to get out and about sussex and flog themselves, with falmer there is the potential to grow.

      As mentioned earlier I take my hat off to you for going week in week out to withdean, you do what you have to do but it must have been a ****ing chore on occassions.
    • #47
      Members
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      standing behind you while you type on your keyboard
      Posts
      40


      0 Not allowed!
      we do have delusions of grandeur, but so what.... isnt it better to dream of the championship than to have never dreamed at all ?
    • #48
      Nicola
      Join Date
      Dec 2005
      Location
      Soham, United Kingdom
      Posts
      4,405


      0 Not allowed!
      Doesn't everyone?
    • #49

      0 Not allowed!
      This comparison with gates in the 1980s or whenever is completely irrelevant, as crowds all around the league were lower then. Man Utd used to get 35,000, Arsenal 25,000. You can say we averaged only 7,000 in the old Division 2 but teams like Palace didn't get much more.

      Football now is a completely different animal and the Sky effect combined with decent stadiums & a higher profile for the game has seen crowds rise at most levels. With Falmer built then, it's easily feasible to imagine the Albion's gates being similar to someone like Reading
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.
    • #50
      HellBilly Psychobilly freakout's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      Brighton factually.....
      Posts
      17,685


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      With Falmer built then, it's easily feasible to imagine the Albion's gates being similar to someone like Reading
      I think it’s safe to say we’re in a different league now, on all aspects concerning Reading
      PsYcHoBiLlY fReAkOuT "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •