Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most surreal atmosphere at a game?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I know that we had surreal atmosphere everyweek during the Archer era but what is the most surreal atmosphere you have experienced otherwise at any game you have attended?

For me it was a midweek game last August while on holiday in Rio. I took advantage of a cheap trip to the Maracana to see Fluminense v Corinthians. Given that these are two of the biggest sides in Brazil and the match was played in the biggest stadium in the world I thought it would be a great experience. It was certainly different, but not what I expected. There were only 2000 fans in a 200,000 capacity stadium! Weird

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Juventus v AC Milan in the Italian Cup Semi Final in the Stadio Della Alpi with no more than 1500 people in the stadium. Quiet as the proverbial mouse and damn freezing to boot.

Away at Swansea in the first round of the LDV a couple of years ago. 87 of us on the huge away terrace (bigger than the North Stand). Well strange trying to get a chorus of GOSBTS going.

Wimbledon away last season was also a bit strange, with only about 500 of their fans spread all over Selhurst.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
milwall LDV a couple of years back , the only one sitting in the block :lol:

Many years ago in Australia I went to an "Australian XI" versus Dynamo Zagreb "friendly". Around 7000 Croatian exiles were in the ground. The guest of honour was introduced before kick off. The Yugoslav high commisioner.....who was a Serb! The exiles spent the whole game below the main stand baying for his blood. One of the ring leaders even a megaphone to get his point over! He finally left during the second half, Bellotti style, when his amply fed wife collected a direct hit from a banana! :lolol: The match itself was shit. Nobody paid any attention to it anyway.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
League cup game against Southampton on sept 11th. The football really didn't seem that important.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The match at home against Swindon Town - April 1989.

It was the week after Hillsborough, and no-one knew quite how to react, or how much to react to any given situation. The teams came out to 'Let It Be' and very muted applause. The teams lined up around the centre circle, and when the music faded, the minute's silence began. Very moving, very surreal.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
80's Seagull said:
League cup game against Southampton on sept 11th. The football really didn't seem that important.
true ,to much sadness and confusion , i didn't have a clue what was going on

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The rearranged York City game in 96, after the original one was abandoned. Mid morning on a Tuesday with about 1000 people, from what I remember. Most involved person in the North Stand being a Carlisle Utd fan desperate for us to win. (Or lose, I can't recall. But the result was very important to him anyway).

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
USA versus England at Foxboro stadium just outside Boston. Bench seats, no roof, USA beat us 2-1 :ohmy: lots of Irish shirts. Very weird, and I had just flown in that day and went straight to the game from the airport.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Beitar Jerusalem v Wimbledon at the Goldstone. I think it was in the Inter toto - just highly surreal, no one seemed in the least bit interested and it finished 0.0. Dullest game on record.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Deadly Danson said:
Beitar Jerusalem v Wimbledon at the Goldstone. I think it was in the Inter toto - just highly surreal, no one seemed in the least bit interested and it finished 0.0. Dullest game on record.

Was anybody at the other Inter to bob cup games, I remember a turkish team playing Spurs (i think) loads of turks in the north stand if I remember and they were bloody noisy

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
September 11th was strange.

Swindon Town 89 was also very strange, also the fences had been taken down in response, I think most people just felt very sad.

The York game, the tension was so high, but I don't think many people knew what was about to happen. I was never happy about the following newspaper reports describing us all a hooligans, never really got redressed I don't think.

Then again, the atmos at Hereford was surreal in its own way, the loudest support I've ever heard, and all we wanted was a draw.

The Wookiee said:
Was anybody at the other Inter to bob cup games, I remember a turkish team playing Spurs (i think) loads of turks in the north stand if I remember and they were bloody noisy

I went to the Tottenham-Luzern game. Lovely sunny day - No programme, no team sheet, one team packed with current internationals, the other packed with a load of Northampton Town players who were not taking summer holidays abroad....................................................

QUALIFYING STAGE
Group 2 [1.FC Köln]

Rd 1 (24-25/6) Östers 0-0 Köln; Tottenham Hotspur 0-2 Luzern
Rd 2 (01-02/7) Rudar Velenje 1-2 Tottenham Hotspur; Luzern 3-2 Östers
Rd 3 (08-09/7) Östers 3-1 Rudar Velenje; Köln 2-2 Luzern
Rd 4 (15-16/7) Rudar Velenje 0-1 Köln; Tottenham Hotspur 1-2 Östers
Rd 5 (22-23/7) Luzern 1-1 Rudar Velenje; Köln 8-0 Tottenham Hotspur

1.1.FC Köln 4 2 2 0 11- 2 8
2.FC Luzern 4 2 2 0 8- 5 8
3.Östers IF (Växjö) 4 2 1 1 7- 5 7
4.Tottenham Hotspur 4 1 0 3 3-13 3
5.Rudar Velenje 4 0 1 3 3- 7 1

Group 10 [Bursaspor]

Rd 1 (24-25/6) Beitar 0-1 Charleroi; Wimbledon 0-4 Bursaspor
Rd 2 (01-02/7) Kosice 1-1 Wimbledon; Bursaspor 2-0 Beitar
Rd 3 (08-09/7) Beitar 3-5 Kosice; Charleroi 0-2 Bursaspor
Rd 4 (15-16/7) Kosice 3-2 Charleroi; Wimbledon 0-0 Beitar
Rd 5 (22-23/7) Bursaspor 1-1 Kosice; Charleroi 3-0 Wimbledon

1.Bursaspor 4 3 1 0 9- 1 10
2.1.FC Kosice 4 2 2 0 10- 7 8
3.SC Charleroi 4 2 0 2 6- 5 6
4.Wimbledon 4 0 2 2 1- 8 2
5.Beitar Jerusalem 4 0 1 3 3- 8 1
:cool:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Anyone remember the game at Stoke on "Black Wednesday" back in 1992? Weird atmosphere. The government had just put interest rates up to something ridiculous (15%+ ?) and everyone before the game was just wondering how they were going to pay their mortgage. Just a buzz of conversation going around the place. Only time I can remember the government's fiscal policies affecting a game's atmosphere as we contemplated our exit from the Exchange Rate Mechanism. And I think we drew. 1-1?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here