Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coaching Staff follow up

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In a follow up to this:

http://northstandchat.com/showthread.php?t=155465

Is that it? I don't mean to waste time with a post that as I type seems to essentially be a long winded "really?", but the article in the argus shortly after Russell had his contract officially extended seemed to suggest there would be much more significant changes, that roles would change.

Was the scale of the changes overblown or has there been some confusion about where the wholesale changes were being made (i.e. squad not backroom)?

(Edit, I'm trying to find the article at the moment, having trouble so apologies if my memory is playing tricks on me).

Edit 2:
Found it!

Now Slade can plan for future From The Argus)

Change will not be confined to a major revamp of the playing staff. The backroom staff, although remaining in place, will have redefined roles.

The structure for the treatment and preparation of players will also be overhauled following the retirement of long-serving physiotherapist Malcolm Stuart.

Slade said: “The medical department will probably see the biggest change. That has got to be looked at quite clearly.

“It might well be that we have two physios to deal with the first team and the reserves and anything else we need.

“I think there has to be a separate fitness and conditioning department, rather than personnel sort of having a dabble at different roles. That needs defining and needs to be done properly. I am a great believer that if you do something you have got to do it properly.

“The technical side of the football club – the analysing, the information that we get – needs absolute definition and what we can do within our financial constraints.

“I am looking at all that, the complete structure, objectively. Dean (assistant manager Dean White) and Bob (reserve team manager Bob Booker) will work within that structure.

“It’s okay saying you want to be a Championship club but you have to have a structure and gear up for that – it doesn’t just happen.

“That’s massively on my agenda, to prepare the club from a staffing point of view and off-the-field as well as on the field.

It sounds like there's more to it than simply hiring Watson and Joyce. Granted, this isn't the influx the other poster seems to be expecting, so I guess I'm taking his question and changing it to ask whathas happened regarding Slade's plans as above?

Last edited:

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I think you've read a bit too much into this. The medical department has been restructured with Matt Miller changing roles to fitness and conditioning coach, Jim and Watto coming in as physios and there will be another addition in the medical dept.

Other than that, Russ said "I am looking at all that, the complete structure, objectively." So I he looked at it objectively, and is happy with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here