McNulty to play without kidney protector

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Albion ace defies the docs

12:20pm Saturday 18th July 2009

Comments (3) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

Jim McNulty will shun medical advice and play without a kidney protector when he resumes his career with Albion.

McNulty lost a kidney in a freak collision with an opponent in the Seagulls’ home defeat by Crewe in February.

He is on course to return to first team action in September or October but the defender does not fancy the idea of safeguarding his surviving kidney.

McNulty revealed: “I have been offered and advised to wear a kidney protector, because if my other kidney took a bang now I would probably die.

“That is a blunt thing to say but it’s the truth. They probably wouldn’t be able to get a kidney in that quick but I don’t think I want to wear one.

“I don’t like the feeling. I just think it will hinder the way I play.

“I haven’t tried one but I have been told about them and I’ve looked at them on the internet.

“I know rugby players use them but I think I am going to choose to just play again without one.

“I’ve had a few conversations with the doc about it. I have been told it is a one in a million injury, so I’m praying it’s not not going to happen to me twice.”

McNulty is being guided by club doctor Tim Stevenson and new physio Jim Joyce as he works his way towards a full recovery.

The 24-year-old leftback is running and kicking a ball again but he is not allowed to take part in full training sessions yet.

“September-October time is when I’ve been told I can be looking to challenge for the first team again,” he said. Obviously, I want to push sooner, but if I get back by that time I’ll be happy.

“Jim hasn’t dealt with this injury before but he has got some knowledge about it.

“There was a goalkeeper at Torquay and a physio friend of his got him back to fitness, so it helps to have someone who knows what is involved in getting a player back after this.

“I’m doing sprint work and trying to put muscle back to get back to my playing weight and fitness.

“I am striking and passing a ball now and that was a big mental step. You feel like you are getting somewhere.

“The next step is contact training. I have started warm-ups with the lads but when they go off and do possession and it gets a bit physical I have to pull out and that is tough.”

Maybe he should try it first to be on the safe side?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
If he's going against medical advice then he's being very stupid. His medical insurance won't cover him if he has to stop playing because someone knees him in the other kidney, and required dialysis/transplant - or the other scenario - he'll die! It was enough of a freak incident for him to lose one kidney that he's got to consider the "worst case scenario".

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If he's going against medical advice then he's being very stupid. His medical insurance won't cover him if he has to stop playing because someone knees him in the other kidney, and required dialysis/transplant - or the other scenario - he'll die! It was enough of a freak incident for him to lose one kidney that he's got to consider the "worst case scenario".

Na'h , one in a million accident , wont happen to him again.

If it makes him a worse player by being restricted with a protector then he should 100% play without one.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Probably just another Argus space filler.

D

Deleted member 2719

I know what he is getting at as i never played with shin pads as i thought i would lose my pace but after a season playing against West Sussex finest hard men and my shins being black and blue week in week out i finally found some light weight pads and adapted to them.

I would urge the lad to protect his kidney and it may also give him extra mental strength not to back out of any tackles.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I don’t like the feeling. I just think it will hinder the way I play.

I haven’t tried one but I have been told about them and I’ve looked at them on the internet.

are we sure he did'nt lose a few brain cells along the way?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
What are the odds of being the first player in history to lose two kidneys in freak footballing accidents?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
What are the odds of being the first player in history to lose two kidneys in freak footballing accidents?

It's one in a million multiplied by one in a million - unless I'm mistaken, that's 1/1,000,000,000,000.

In other words, slightly more chance than some of the racing tips on here over the years.

D

Deleted member 2719

I expect there will be some Keane/Vinnie Jones type player looking to hit the Jackpot as they see it, can't see it worth the risk, i am sure if he trained in this protector he would soon get use to it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
One of my best mates was born with only 1 kidney, and has always played football, rugby, mountain biking, and has never worn one of those things (at least I don't think so!). Surely its the same situation.

And doesn't everyone have only 1 heart? What if a player took a studs up challenge that punctured it or something (perhaps beyond the realms of medical possibility).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sure he has talked it over with the medical people and they have gone over the pros and cons. As far as his insurance is concerned sure the club will just have to pay more, don't think a player can play without insurance as part of FA rules

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Mr McNulty, you're being an arse. There is not a person on NSC who doesn't love the man, and there is not a single person on here who wants to see the guy get injured again... and if there's ANY way he can help protect himself, where's the debate?! Just wear it, he'll get used to it. There's no point taking a chance. You can only lose!...

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Bit foolish really.

Ok, so it would be VERY unlikely for him to suffer the same injury again. But IF he does, the consequences don't bear thinking about.

PUT IT ON Jimmy!!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
feel i have to agree with the overall sentiment on here but feel obliged to add that he says wearing one would be uncomfortable, but surely more comfortable than the piss taking when he wears short sleeve shirt and gloves?!!!!!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here