Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd npower test Lords 16th-21st july

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
Thursday, 16 July 2009
npower Test Match Series.

Steve Harmison, whose fierce assault on the Australia batsman at Lord's set the tone for the 2005 Ashes series, may return to the England side for the second test of the current contest on Thursday (11 a.m. British time).

The two sides will play on the same pitch as in the first test four years ago and England will be tempted to include Harmison after their bowlers struggled in the drawn first test in Cardiff.

Harmison was added to the England squad as cover for the injured Andrew Flintoff, who will wait until Thursday morning before evaluating his injured right knee.

"Steve had significant contributions for us before, including in the 2005 Ashes, so that is something that is going for us," captain Andrew Strauss told a news conference.

Harmison twice dismissed Australia opener Phillip Hughes cheaply while playing for the England Lions and at his best he is still England's most threatening fast bowler.

Australia captain Ricky Ponting, who was struck on the cheek by Harmison in the opening hour four years ago, said Harmison would add hostility to the England attack.

"Being as tall as he is and a bang-it-into-the-wicket sort of bowler, you don't get too many pitched up," he said.

Strauss, whose team snatched a draw after being outplayed in Cardiff, said he had been happy with the team's fightback.

"We have got a nice little bit of momentum from that fifth day, which we are really looking to build on," he s

jimmypbha

Apr 5, 2009
NORTH STAND
England vs Australia 2nd Ashes Test Lords

In 2005 Australia won the test match at Lords but Harmison was our best bowler with 5 wickets.

Would it be great if Harmison does the same this time if he gets put in the team.

Can we win this test and get a lead in the series?

C'mon England!!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
2 threads merged.... we only need 1 on the 2nd test match!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The only change i'd make is Onions for Panesar if Pietersen, Flintoff and Broad are all fit

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can I ask a dumb question. Why has Hoggard disappeared completely out of the England reckoning. I gather his club figures are pretty good this year, but he doesn't seem to be even considered these days. Don't know how old he is, but I doubt he's passed it. anyone, please ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Can I ask a dumb question. Why has Hoggard disappeared completely out of the England reckoning. I gather his club figures are pretty good this year, but he doesn't seem to be even considered these days. Don't know how old he is, but I doubt he's passed it. anyone, please ?

I heard he wrote something critical about the management/coaching staff about a year ago when on the cusp of re-selection and was promptly dropped like a stone.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
COME ON ENGLAND. THIS IS THE ONE. well that and the other three of course.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
But what if Chappers starts a thread?!

No danger of that, I quite like this one.

Think Freddie and GBH will play, no Monty. I'd also like to see Onions in but don't think Broad should be dropped yet.

Actually, bollocks, he bowled awfully last test. Get Onions in.

Thought Bell would get a game also but he's been released.

Cook
Strauss
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Onions
Anderson
Harmison

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No danger of that, I quite like this one.

Think Freddie and GBH will play, no Monty. I'd also like to see Onions in but don't think Broad should be dropped yet.

Actually, bollocks, he bowled awfully last test. Get Onions in.

Thought Bell would get a game also but he's been released.

Cook
Strauss
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Onions
Anderson
Harmison

I don't think the selectors are ready to make such a bold move... sadly. Although if there is bounce is the pitch, then Broad's height will work in his favour.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
If Broad's done bad enough to be dropped than Harmison's done enough to never play again

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If Broad's done bad enough to be dropped than Harmison's done enough to never play again

Taking wickets for Durham and took wickets against the Aussies in the warm up game. Broad on the other hand bowled like an absolute twat in the first test.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Taking wickets for Durham and took wickets against the Aussies in the warm up game. Broad on the other hand bowled like an absolute twat in the first test.

As did our whole attack. As did Mitchell Johnson. Only Hilfenhaus bowled well. He took wickets against an Aussie attack in a practice match. He's been given many 2nd chances and failed, Broad's improved vastly in the last year and has had one bad test

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As did our whole attack. As did Mitchell Johnson. Only Hilfenhaus bowled well. He took wickets against an Aussie attack in a practice match. He's been given many 2nd chances and failed, Broad's improved vastly in the last year and has had one bad test

Can we afford him to have another?

Maybe it isn't time to drop him but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Onions in the side, who has at least been takig wickets for his county (40 wickets at 13) this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here