Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

going to london

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
hi all , the wife has treated me to a trip to london with our 2 sons age 18 and 15 for my 50 th birthday , we are watching a show and then have weds free , now i am a country boy so i dont have a clue so where should we go , ie natural history, british museum help please

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I think both the Natural History Museum and the British Museum are well worth a visit. Hopefully if it's a midweek day they won't be too busy so you can explore at your own pace.

I also recommend just having a nice walk along the river, I always enjoy it and I think it is nice to see all the buildings along there(especially the Art Deco one's like the Shell building at Waterloo). St Pauls Cathedral is also worth a visit and maybe even a trip up the recently restored monument, if your legs can take it.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
I think both the Natural History Museum and the British Museum are well worth a visit. Hopefully if it's a midweek day they won't be too busy so you can explore at your own pace.

I also recommend just having a nice walk along the river, I always enjoy it and I think it is nice to see all the buildings along there(especially the Art Deco one's like the Shell building at Waterloo). St Pauls Cathedral is also worth a visit and maybe even a trip up the recently restored monument, if your legs can take it.
thanks big and yes we are going tomorrow to the show (we will rock you) night in hotel then weds free till about 4 ish then train home

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
London Eye.:thumbsup:

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
hoping to do the eye and a museum but which museum?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Yep, south bank for me too, from St Pauls cross over Millenium bridge, and do Tate Modern, go to Gourmet Pizza in the square (forgotten name) have a beer outside the youngs pub on riverbank..tis all good.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
Take a walk along Southbank. Plenty of stalls to be had generally, but a nice walk nonetheless. Right along the riverside.

Where are you staying? This Wednesday?
yes this weds and staying close to the dominion theatre

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
hoping to do the eye and a museum but which museum?

Well I recommend Natural History as it was the one I went to last and really enjoyed, plus it's in a different area to say the British, which is right by where you will be seeing We Will Rock You, and I think it's good to get a nice sweep of different areas.

The Tate Modern can be worth a visit, depending on what they have in the turbine hall. Getting lunch on the southbank in the sun would be a very nice proposition too!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yep, south bank for me too, from St Pauls cross over Millenium bridge, and do Tate Modern, go to Gourmet Pizza in the square (forgotten name) have a beer outside the youngs pub on riverbank..tis all good.

Tate modern can be excellent, as someone pointed out it largely depends what the exhibit in the turbine hall is...on my two visits it was the sun and the slides...but the permanent exhibits are worth seeing in their own right. Not sure which square you mean, but if it is the one by St Pauls, it might be called something like Paternoster Square.

biggles

Feb 21, 2009
all sounds good , trouble is i get f***ing lost about 2 miles from my rural home so london god knows , all i know is train from chichester at 11 am land at victoria at 1 30 ehh then i guess cab or tube helllp

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Tate modern can be excellent, as someone pointed out it largely depends what the exhibit in the turbine hall is...on my two visits it was the sun and the slides...but the permanent exhibits are worth seeing in their own right. Not sure which square you mean, but if it is the one by St Pauls, it might be called something like Paternoster Square.

I also would recommend visiting the OXO tower but I'm not sure if it can only be visited if you dine in the (expensive!) restaurants there.

I would strongly recommend staying away from the area around the Dominion, having studyed at UCL for three years and spent many hours around Tottenham Court Road and Bloomsbury. There is little to see round there, best avoided!

Battersea Park is lovely and well worth a visit, may be a bit out of your way mind you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
South Bank if the weathers nice.

Although you are staying right in the centre, I'd get away from it for a stress free time.

Avoid Oxford Street, Leceister Square, Picadilly, Tussards anywhere like that. And sorry the wheel to be honest, just packed with tourists. Unless you get there at a time when there isn't.

I'll also recommend LB advice. Feels a bit touristy, but getting on one of the river boats down to Greenwich isn't to be sniffed at.

Rowdey also has it spot on.

Battersea park is IMHO the best park in London, but arkward to get to if you don't know your way around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here