Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seaford Prep Schools. Did you attend?

D

Deleted User X18H

No!! But when travelling down to Cornwall earlier this week First Calss of course I walked my 20 month old through the train as he was getting a bit fidgety when we walked past the buffet in to Standard Class he started gagging and crying !! We quickly scarpered back to Coach H before we caught fleas!! Hope that helps

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
No!! But when travelling down to Cornwall earlier this week First Calss of course I walked my 20 month old through the train as he was getting a bit fidgety when we walked past the buffet in to Standard Class he started gagging and crying !! We quickly scarpered back to Coach H before we caught fleas!! Hope that helps

Interesting but not much help. Thanks anyway. Any thing else interesting to add

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
St W. Mid 70s. Hated it. It no longer exists. I also know someone who was a matron at Newlands.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Used to live next door to Ladycross and a mate of mine next door to Normansal.
In uni summer vacations we both worked at Micklefield girls school, another school sadly gone. Old maps of Seaford show a huge no. of private schools, only one I know still going is Newlands and that nearly closed recently.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Newlands '79 to '82.
I now live in a caravan in the corner of a scrapyard.
That's a lie actually.
It's more like at the side, half way down.
My living conditions may seem squalid but you'll notice my spelling and punctuation are spot on.
Thanks for that Newlands.

D

Deleted User X18H

Interesting but not much help. Thanks anyway. Any thing else interesting to add
Not really I just thought this thread was a bit elitest I mean Prep School!!! My son didn't really gag when we wandrered into standard class .............although I did a bit.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Not really I just thought this thread was a bit elitest I mean Prep School!!! My son didn't really gag when we wandrered into standard class .............although I did a bit.

Nothing wrong with elitism. It's the choice of those who have sufficient means which school their child attends so long as that school is willing to accept young Jonny or Fiona in the same way as those who can afford the price of a first class rail fare should travel first class if they so wish without feeling guilty about it.

Apr 17, 2009
Rural East Sussex
Not saying that all private Schools offer a better standard of education, but on the whole one might suggest they offer a better standard than those state schools in run down deprived areas. Some state schools are fantastic and produce outstanding results, Mascalls School in Paddock Wood as an example. My arguement is that people should not be ridiculed if they wish to put a child through Private education. I went to a very forward thinking establishment that offered facilities second to none. It cost my parents alot but that was their choice and all should respect that. My best year of education was spent at Lewes Tech, Mountfield Rd. A mixture of Private and State School pupils. Great fun and most people got on well.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Not the prep school, but in '78 Newlands opened "Newlands Manor" in an adjacent building (3 years, 3rd formers to 5th formers). I think the first term of operation was the spring term, but I joined as the first intake of 5 formers in the Sept '78 and stayed for the year to do my O Levels. The Headmaster of Newlands Manor was a certain MJ Smith (who had previously been a maths teacher and deputy head at Shoreham Grammar School).

That year of Newlands Manor consisted of about 40 kids, with just 8 of us in the 5th form (5 of which were boarders and 3 day-boys). There was usually only 2 or 3 of us in a class, depending on your choice of subjects for O Level. I was one of the prefects and head-boy by default (I tended to get rolled out to do presentatins or take assembly etc.)

I did my O Levels in summer '79 and left. Don't really know what happened to the school after that - but I did play Seaford Head golf course recently and you can see the Manor building from up there on the cliffs.

Dandyman

In London village.
Not saying that all private Schools offer a better standard of education, but on the whole one might suggest they offer a better standard than those state schools in run down deprived areas. Some state schools are fantastic and produce outstanding results, Mascalls School in Paddock Wood as an example. My arguement is that people should not be ridiculed if they wish to put a child through Private education. I went to a very forward thinking establishment that offered facilities second to none. It cost my parents alot but that was their choice and all should respect that. My best year of education was spent at Lewes Tech, Mountfield Rd. A mixture of Private and State School pupils. Great fun and most people got on well.

In fairness Lewes Tech had little to offer in the way of compulsory buggery or SM disciplinary methods.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Newlands '79 to '82.
I now live in a caravan in the corner of a scrapyard.
That's a lie actually.
It's more like at the side, half way down.
My living conditions may seem squalid but you'll notice my spelling and punctuation are spot on.
Thanks for that Newlands.

I also went to Newlands.

As you say, the English language taught was superb.

The headmaster was Mr Chittenden, and he had a Great Dane, and a lovely daughter called Jane, who was a big thrill, being a boys only boarding school.

A certain pupil there at the time was Neil Bamber, son of Mike, who at time owned the Albion.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I also went to Newlands.

The headmaster was Mr Chittenden, and he had a Great Dane, and a lovely daughter called Jane, who was a big thrill, being a boys only boarding school.

A certain pupil there at the time was Neil Bamber, son of Mike, who at time owned the Albion.

I remember Chittenden. If you read my post above about Newlands Manor, I have just remembered that at some point in my year we had a fire in the kitchen and had to use the Prep school for meals for a while. I also now remember using the firing range of the prep school. I too have vague recolections of Chittendens daughter.

Oct 2, 2008
I also went to Newlands.

I was there at more or less the same time. The Great Dane was called Sultan and Jane was the subject of many a schoolby fantasy. I loved it there and remember it very fondly.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
I was there at more or less the same time. The Great Dane was called Sultan and Jane was the subject of many a schoolby fantasy. I loved it there and remember it very fondly.

This is like friends reunited!!

I've still got one of the school photographs that is of the whole school.

Remember, taken by the tennis court with the camera that panned in an arc?

I'll fish it out and find what year it was, and pm you, be fun to see if we knew each other....

...unless you were Mallock junior who baited me, the bastard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here