Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex v somerset hove june 16th-19th lvcc.

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
Well tomorrow see's us back at hove and the home debut of new leg-spinner Pushy hopefull will get up there for all 4 days .

Piyush Chawla says his eight wickets rather than his maiden hundred gave him more satsifaction after he inspired Sussex to their first Championship victory of the season.

The 21-year-old Indian leg-spinner took 6-152 yesterday to set up a ten-wicket win over Worcestershire at New Road.

It followed his unbeaten 102 on Saturday when he became the first Sussex batsman to score a century on debut since Neil Taylor in 1997.

Chawla said: “I definitely enjoyed the wickets more. Batting was very easy on this track and bowling was not. It is difficult to take wickets and I had to bend my back a lot to get something out of the pitch.”

Worcestershire were on course to save the game when Chawla took three wickets in 13 balls.

He added: “When you break a partnership you are always likely to get two or three quick wickets. James Kirtley got a crucial wicket and then I got three very quickly which was very good for the team and for me.

“I was very tired at the end. I have played in England before but never on a pitch as slow as that.”

Chawla will make his home debut against Somerset tomorrow but Kirtley is struggling with an ankle problem and could be replaced by Jason Lewry.

Coach Mark Robinson said: “We got what we wanted from Chawla which is the potential to change the course of the game.”

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Big Game as a win will put us right up there, a bit ominous looking at the the top 10 ten county players right now;

PCA County MVP
15 June 2009 00:34
PTS
1 de Bruyn Somerset 253.6
2 Kieswetter Somerset 251.96
3 Yardy Sussex 241.33
4 S Davies Worcestershire 233.07
5 Chapple Lancashire 231.29
6 Dalrymple Glamorgan 229.33
7 Trego Somerset 226.85
8 Trescothick Somerset 223.9
9 Schofield Surrey 222.3
10 Ervine Hampshire 221.64

The Professional Cricketers' Association

I think their away record may let them down in the Championship, looks like its down to captain marvel.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am desperatly trying to avoid working and the weather looks great so may have to disapear for a couple of hours over to Hove with the laptop and try to look busy.

Anyone got any news on squads or tossing yet.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
no news as yet. Unlikely Luke will play tho and he wasnt named in the squad anyway.

Also Today we have the Glous v Notts friends prov game. Who do we want ?? id prefer Glous personally

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
no news as yet. Unlikely Luke will play tho and he wasnt named in the squad anyway.

Also Today we have the Glous v Notts friends prov game. Who do we want ?? id prefer Glous personally

On BBC it has Luke in on the staring XI

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
DR Smith, MH Yardy*, JD Lewry, AJ Hodd†, MJ Prior, LJ Wright, RSC Martin-Jenkins, PP Chawla, MW Goodwin, CD Nash, EC Joyce

Interesting. No Collymore - presumably we're going to open with Lewry and Smith.

That's a hell of a batting line-up - 10 players have made first class centuries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
hmm - only one out and out seam bowler :shrug:

I make it four: lewry, smith, tucker and wright

Do you mean out-and-out fast bowler? We do indeed have only Lewry - and he's not exactly rocket pace.

I hope there's plenty of spin in the pitch otherwise I can see Somerset getting 500+ on this.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I make it four: lewry, smith, tucker and wright

Do you mean out-and-out fast bowler? We do indeed have only Lewry - and he's not exactly rocket pace.

I hope there's plenty of spin in the pitch otherwise I can see Somerset getting 500+ on this.

Yes that's what I meant. Apart from Lewry the other 3 could be regarded as allrounders - i.e they probably wouldn't get in the side for their bowling alone.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sussex team
DR Smith, MH Yardy*, JD Lewry, AJ Hodd†, MJ Prior, LJ Wright, RSC Martin-Jenkins, PP Chawla, MW Goodwin, CD Nash, EC Joyce
Somerset team
PD Trego, DA Stiff, MTC Waller, AC Thomas, JC Hildreth, JL Langer*, ME Trescothick, C Kieswetter†, AV Suppiah, CM Willoughby, Z de Bruyn

Somerset won toss and bat

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes that's what I meant. Apart from Lewry the other 3 could be regarded as allrounders - i.e they probably wouldn't get in the side for their bowling alone.

RMJ probably could but no, I wouldn't rate the chances of the other two in grabbing a bowling place - although it's worth noted that we signed Wright as a bowler who could bat, rather than the other way round. His bowling has not really progressed since then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here