Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chillies, Toms & Sweet Pepper growing

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Right its geek time and I've finally got around to getting my crops pictures on my PC!!
I've got roughly 50 Chillies growing split into about 6 or 7 varietys including Scotch Bonnet, Thai Super Hot, Hot Cherry, Ring Of Fire, Spagna & Demon Red. Plus a Tabasco which I over wintered from last years crop, standard Mixed Peppers of which I've got 4 in one grow bag and 3 in normal pots, then two different Tomatoes in San Marzano & Patio Orange.

I sowed (sewed?!) the chillies/peppers in early Feb and the toms in March, so far everything is flowering nicely so not too far away from the glorious fruiting stage.

Hothouse was £75 from eBay, 3mX2.5mX2.1m so a very decent size, it did blow down once on a windy day so really had to anchor the bastard down again but it seems to stand upto strong winds now thankfully! this pic was taken a few weeks ago as i've since altered the layout due to plant expansion!
DSC00001.jpg

Toms at the back with Sweet Peppers in the foreground:

DSC00051.jpg

Tabasco on the floor:

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00045-1.jpg

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
what chillies do you grow? do you do any of them scotch bonnet ones?

Dave...........

I've got roughly 50 Chillies growing split into about 6 or 7 varietys including Scotch Bonnet, Thai Super Hot, Hot Cherry, Ring Of Fire, Spagna & Demon Red. Plus a Tabasco which I over wintered from last years crop, standard Mixed Peppers of which I've got 4 in one grow bag and 3 in normal pots, then two different Tomatoes in San Marzano & Patio Orange.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
id love to grow chillies (ive got an addiction to em)
however, everytime i plant something in the garden, the dogs rip it up :down:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am way behind you in the growing stakes, only transferred my tomato plants into their growbags yesterday...my chilli plants are way smaller than yours, only half a dozen leafs or so, my cucumber plant (only growing one this year after my experience last year) is just about ready to plant up.

On the positive side I will probably have courgettes within about 10 days or so, there are plenty of flowers on my plants and a few small fruit already starting to appear, these are maybe an inch or so in length.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'm trying to grow leeks, beetroot, spinach, rocket, basil, and various other herbs but am having trouble even getting them to germinate.

This is possibly a combination of too cold and wet weather at the time of planting (or crap gardening), but I have also been told that conditions over the last couple of years have resulted in general poor seed quality as well.

I have a couple of (cheap) small polythene hothouses but I find the polythene rips far too easily. I would like a proper greenhouse but they all seem a bit too expensive or the wrong size for where I have space.

Am I too late to plant aubergines now?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My next door neighbour, who grows enough potatoes to feed a small army, swears by them being ready when they go into flower...I only grew a few last year, not being a massive potato eater, his theory worked for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've got roughly 50 Chillies growing split into about 6 or 7 varietys including Scotch Bonnet, Thai Super Hot, Hot Cherry, Ring Of Fire, Spagna & Demon Red.

Not heard of some of these, tho all sound interesting and most sound FIERCE :flameboun

Can they be grown indoors, say on a sunny window ledge?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Not heard of some of these, tho all sound interesting and most sound FIERCE :flameboun

Can they be grown indoors, say on a sunny window ledge?

yeah no problem

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Ah, right. Cheers. Might give it a go :thumbsup:

too late to sow now but B&Q do sometimes sell the odd chilli plant so worth a look, or buy one off me :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
too late to sow now but B&Q do sometimes sell the odd chilli plant so worth a look, or buy one off me :thumbsup:

As a complete novice in these things, I'm thinking...

a) I'm thinking that the challenge and the fun is in the growing and nurturing. And I'm sure you'll agree. Tho your photos do look great for sure. But buying one in would just be cheating IMHO. Besides, I have previous. Many moons ago, just to piss off the bosses, we used to grow ten foot high sunflowers in the office. Oh, and gourds. Gourds that could be trained to go up one wall, across the ceiling and down the other side. 'Orrible misformed freaky fruit unuseable things they were, tho quite spectacular in their own way :lol:

b) I'm thinking that chillies don't know what month it is, and can therefore be fooled into thinking its some other month.

Might be wrong tho... :dunce:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah the pleasure is mainly in the growing and then the fruit producing at the end, but buying in now when the plants are just flowering means you'll still get to see growth and nothings better than picking off that first riped chilli.
As its a window sill you could sow now but chances are it wont flower & fruit in time, depends on the variety as some are easier to grow than others. Out of 4 Tabasco I sowed May last year only one plant went to fruit (the one i've overwintered) and even now he's not flowered yet this year!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
yeah the pleasure is mainly in the growing and then the fruit producing at the end, but buying in now when the plants are just flowering means you'll still get to see growth and nothings better than picking off that first riped chilli.
As its a window sill you could sow now but chances are it wont flower & fruit in time, depends on the variety as some are easier to grow than others. Out of 4 Tabasco I sowed May last year only one plant went to fruit (the one i've overwintered) and even now he's not flowered yet this year!

Cheers for advice. Will post pics of me efforts. For I have EVEREST double glazing and I am fully confident :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here