Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to boycott the ARGUS once and for all....

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
My dad always buys it everyday! i admit i do have a look at it but if he don't buy it for what so every reason then i won't! i won't give a single penny to the arsegus

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Lord Bracknell said:
NewsNow isn't the most reliable of sites.

I give you their latest story on "Brighton & Hove Albion":-

PLUCKY LONGTON REFLECT ON DUBIOUS DECISIONS

RUGBY BY MARTIN SPINKS

12:00 - 20 January 2004

Luckless Longton slipped to another defeat in National Three (North) after failing with a late rally at the climax of their 10-8 reverse at New Brighton.

... etc

To be fair Lord B thats wrong. Its not a BHA site, its a site that picks up on "Brighton" and then gives a link. Your reference is related to rugby and New Brighton, I would have thought most Albion would notice that fact.

Sorry, I have my pedantic hat on today and don't have shares in NewsNow.

Just to reiterate, the Argus is crap.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
London Irish said:
What kind of paranoid nonsense is that? Someone puts a minority viewpoint on the Argus and you start checking up on him? Long live free speech, eh?

It was a joke Mr Sanctimonious. :shootself

Wozza said:
It was a joke Mr Sanctimonious. :shootself

Oh sorry, how hilarious!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Stopped buying it a couple of years ago.

The coverage is crap - and as for Thursday's Albion section...............just don't get me started.

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
No response from Harty then ? (Hand that feeds ?)

Back in the fanzine days I'm sure something would have been said about the Arsegas contents.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
chemical brother said:

Apologies if you don't like me saying this Matt, but The Argus should have made Matthew James the Albion/cheif football correspondent when he was with them. He's a true Albion fan with enough journalistic quality to be able to balance a bit of bias with some quality, appropriately objective reporting. They'd probably double their readership if they did this - I for one would buy The Anus on a regular basis if they got an Albion fan as the football correspondent.

xx

I'll second that!

I do buy the Argus because I like to read local news and my (more) local rag, the Mid Sussex Times is utter rubbish containing little in the way of news! I am, however, unhappy at the Argus introducing a page on the Premiership - there's enough thrust down our throats in the national newspapers and media, without having to suffer it in what is essentially a local paper.

With regard to Mike Ward, he is a journalist (for the Star) and the fact that he supports the Albion now is good enough for me. It's actually great to see someone changing their allegiance to a Nationwide club rather than, more usually, the other way round!

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Harty said:
Incredigull I've submitted my last column biting the hand that

:(

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Harty, if thats your last column then this situation is very very bad indeed.

My problem with Ward is not that he changed allegiance, but how certain sections of the media have designated him as 'the voice of the Albion' which is an appalling state of affairs, fine write a book, make a few quid, good luck to you, but an awful lot of 'lifelong' Albion fans are getting a bit tired of you and your 'so called' humour.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Harty said:
Incredigull I've submitted my last column so how can I be biting the hand that feeds?

Why ?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Cadman said:
I'm fed up reading all the drivel posted on here about the Argus.

For a local paper it is excellent quality and has deservedly won awards on more than one occasion.

Your only beef is that it doesn't have 30 pages about the Albion every night and the match reporter isn't a lifelong Albion diehard who can't believe that we are not automatic Premiership members.

I have been watching the Albion for 45 years and find the Argus coverage pretty good. I read it most nights and find it very informative on local issues and events. I look forward to its new format with interest.

Just because we are playing rubbish this season, there is no point in taking out your frustrations on the Argus. You'd do much better to take it out on your normal reading material of the Sun and Sunday Sport.

Up the Albion

You are Simon Bradshaw and I claim my five pounds.

Incidentally, if you don't like the new look Arsug, why not try emailing

pdavidson@london.newsquest.co.uk?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
After nearly 5 years its time to move on, I've enjoyed my time on the Argus, pissed a few people off, including Messrs Knight and Perry, but that was always my remit.
Thanks to everyone for all the support I've had from the Albion fans/Argus readers, especially from a number of people on NSC, I really have enjoyed it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Harty said:
After nearly 5 years its time to move on, I've enjoyed my time on the Argus, pissed a few people off, including Messrs Knight and Perry, but that was always my remit.
Thanks to everyone for all the support I've had from the Albion fans/Argus readers, especially from a number of people on NSC, I really have enjoyed it.

Is it time to reform the 'BISA' ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ernest said:
Is it time to reform the 'BISA' ?

A serious question. BISA never had any formal membership. I think Attila put it something like "If you think you want to be a member of BISA, then you are."

However, I'd certainly be all up for an independent Albion supporters' organization.

Yes, I know, I know - The Supporters' Club is independent, but I can't help but feel there is the need for something else. That said, I've held these views for a few years but am far too lazy to get off my arse and do anything about it.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I think we definately need an independant supporters org, the BISA people are now the club and its an unhealthy state of affairs.

I know most people here are 100% behind the set up but it is always a good thing to have a body that question whats going on.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
You are Simon Bradshaw and I claim my five pounds.

Incidentally, if you don't like the new look Arsug, why not try emailing

pdavidson@london.newsquest.co.uk?

Even better, you could e-mail Simon Bradshaw himself at: simon.bradshaw@theargus.co.uk

As I said previously, I am very unhappy about the new-look Argus having a page on the Premiership. The Falmer campaign has become at best luke warm and at worst almost non-existent. A local paper should be concentrating on the local team. The Premiership is done to death in the national newspapers, it's not needed in the Argus. This is another snub for the Albion and its fans.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I am proud to say that I have not bought the Argus in bleedin' ages. I, for one, will keep not buying the filth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here