Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to boycott the ARGUS once and for all....

Cadman

Jul 7, 2003
I'm fed up reading all the drivel posted on here about the Argus.

For a local paper it is excellent quality and has deservedly won awards on more than one occasion.

Your only beef is that it doesn't have 30 pages about the Albion every night and the match reporter isn't a lifelong Albion diehard who can't believe that we are not automatic Premiership members.

I have been watching the Albion for 45 years and find the Argus coverage pretty good. I read it most nights and find it very informative on local issues and events. I look forward to its new format with interest.

Just because we are playing rubbish this season, there is no point in taking out your frustrations on the Argus. You'd do much better to take it out on your normal reading material of the Sun and Sunday Sport.

Up the Albion

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
bosnian said:
If we all moved to a different part of the country, I ask you this, would you support a different football team?
Enough said!!

I know of a few Albion supporters who weren't born in Sussex but moved here from a different part of the country.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My sisters boyfriend came over from Jersey to go to uni in Sheffield and settled down here with her. He now goes to most home games and as many away as possible and is an avid fan.

Some of you were lucky enough to meet him at QPR.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Rougvie said:
So the 'new look' Arsegas is going to contain the following........

'A daily full page of Premiership news', so we can forget about them covering much non league LOCAL football news, and no doubt that bastard of a RETARD Naylor will water down Albion coverage in favour of the glamour of the Premiershit (and a few jollies up to London etc etc), as if we didnt have enough over saturation in the national media (where it belongs) of the Premiershit, we now have to put up with it in our so called LOCAL paper.

'A weekly coloumn from (their words) 'Albion fanatic (?!) cum house husband Mike Ward. Yet again over saturation, and its not as if we dont already get enough of his rather tedious ramblings about this, that and the f***ing other !! I wonder if Harty has been given the boot in favour of Ward who quite frankly (despite his good work on Falmer) is really getting on a lot of peoples tits ??

So all in all a total f***ing sell out for the people of Sussex who still buy this shit (I admittedly bought one tonight pissed walking up Dyke Road) and I really hope that they sink into oblivion this time.
Spot on Rougvie, Just what i thought when i read that.

bosnian

Jul 31, 2003
Yorkie, I'm not suggesting that, I'm saying that Ward was an arsenal supporter, moved down to Brighton and has then become an albion supporter.
I couldn't even consider supporting a diffrent team.
When he's on src he talks crap, he's column in the matchday programme is also crap, and no doubt he's new column in the argus will be crap.

The Argus is a poor paper full of poor, cynical journalism. It does very little to support the Albion, a sports desk with sports writers who quite clearly don't care about the Albion, and as for its 'Albion For Falmer - An Argus Campaign' - that's like this site having a banner saying 'Get Out More - A North Stand Chat Campaign'.

The sad thing is it would be very easy for them to turn this situation around. I'm not saying they should be completely biased or employ Krispies to file match reports for them from the south stand, but I've seen some cracking local newspapers with journalists who clearly want the club to do well, and it's great to see a small amount of bias and passion in match reports. The Sheffield Star and the Lancashire Evening Post are two off the top of my head that do this quite well.

Apologies if you don't like me saying this Matt, but The Argus should have made Matthew James the Albion/cheif football correspondent when he was with them. He's a true Albion fan with enough journalistic quality to be able to balance a bit of bias with some quality, appropriately objective reporting. They'd probably double their readership if they did this - I for one would buy The Anus on a regular basis if they got an Albion fan as the football correspondent.

xx

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Everyone is talking about Ward, nobody has mentioned ALBION LEGEND Gary Nelson has signed up and will be writing a column on Fridays.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
bosnian said:
Yorkie, I'm not suggesting that, I'm saying that Ward was an arsenal supporter, moved down to Brighton and has then become an albion supporter.
I couldn't even consider supporting a diffrent team.

To be fair he was a lapsed Arsenal supporter who hadn't been to a match in years.

I have converted my Sheff Wed husband to the Albion.
He doesn't try and write for the programme or the Argus though :lolol:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Mike Ward was originally from Brighton and had no interest in football. He moved to London to work for the Mail. He really only got seriously interested in football when he moved back to Sussex as I understand it.

Gary Nelson's column should be excellent reading and I am looking forward to that.

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
Ward - is a gooner plain and simple!

I wasn't born in Sussex, but I supported and still do suport my local team, and see them whenever I am home - but as those who know me I am Albion through and through (after only 8 years - not bad).

As for the Argus, personal choice really - I don't buy newspapers - save the trees I say - except any round Village way!

if I had to buy a newspaper it wouldn't be the Argus!

rool

Jul 10, 2003
chemical brother said:
The Argus is a poor paper full of poor, cynical journalism. It does very little to support the Albion, a sports desk with sports writers who quite clearly don't care about the Albion, and as for its 'Albion For Falmer - An Argus Campaign' - that's like this site having a banner saying 'Get Out More - A North Stand Chat Campaign'.

The sad thing is it would be very easy for them to turn this situation around. I'm not saying they should be completely biased or employ Krispies to file match reports for them from the south stand, but I've seen some cracking local newspapers with journalists who clearly want the club to do well, and it's great to see a small amount of bias and passion in match reports. The Sheffield Star and the Lancashire Evening Post are two off the top of my head that do this quite well.

Apologies if you don't like me saying this Matt, but The Argus should have made Matthew James the Albion/cheif football correspondent when he was with them. He's a true Albion fan with enough journalistic quality to be able to balance a bit of bias with some quality, appropriately objective reporting. They'd probably double their readership if they did this - I for one would buy The Anus on a regular basis if they got an Albion fan as the football correspondent.

xx

Well said :clap:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cadman said:

For a local paper it is excellent quality and has deservedly won awards on more than one occasion.

Your only beef is that it doesn't have 30 pages about the Albion every night and the match reporter isn't a lifelong Albion diehard who can't believe that we are not automatic Premiership members.

I have been watching the Albion for 45 years and find the Argus coverage pretty good. I read it most nights and find it very informative on local issues and events. I look forward to its new format with interest.

Just because we are playing rubbish this season, there is no point in taking out your frustrations on the Argus. You'd do much better to take it out on your normal reading material of the Sun and Sunday Sport.

Up the Albion

Are you Andy Naylor's mum by any chance?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Bought it today for 10p.

I wanted to have a closer look at a fit bird in a shop and I'd already been in there once and I had to buy some water that time, so I thought the Argus was the cheapest thing in the shop the second time.

She was fit so it was worth it.:jester:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cadman said:

Up the Albion

Can't agree.

The points being made are not about the Albion's coverage in the paper (which incidentally is inadequate); in fact you have missed the central issue by quite a distance. It's about the journalistic integrity and penchant for inaccuracy.

The 'awards' it wins are mainly within the Newsquest group. It has been losing its readership quite heavily for a few years - mainly since Newsquest took over about 10 years ago. Apparently the figure is something like 40%, mainly because people don't like it.

The re-launch is probably their last throw of the dice. Don't be surprised if the Argus has a new owner in the next couple of years.

NewsNow isn't the most reliable of sites.

I give you their latest story on "Brighton & Hove Albion":-

PLUCKY LONGTON REFLECT ON DUBIOUS DECISIONS

RUGBY BY MARTIN SPINKS

12:00 - 20 January 2004

Luckless Longton slipped to another defeat in National Three (North) after failing with a late rally at the climax of their 10-8 reverse at New Brighton.

... etc

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The Large One said:
The points being made are not about the Albion's coverage in the paper (which incidentally is inadequate); in fact you have missed the central issue by quite a distance. It's about the journalistic integrity and penchant for inaccuracy.

Yep - thats exactly my point too - although youve said it far better than I could have - care to be a journalist?? :lol:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Couldn't agree more - The Anus is unbelievably cr*p. Living way out west, my local rag is the "Bath Chronicle" (no jokes, please). Bath is a city of circa 60k, and the local paper is at least twice as thick as the Anus, despite Brighton & Hove housing well over triple the population, and actually being a pretty "happening" place. How do those journalists manage to put together such a hopeless newspaper on such a regular basis.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Cadman said:

Up the Albion

Bozza, can we have an IP check on this user please?

Wozza said:
Bozza, can we have an IP check on this user please?

What kind of paranoid nonsense is that? Someone puts a minority viewpoint on the Argus and you start checking up on him? Long live free speech, eh?

I really can't believe the bile the Argus gets on NSC. The Argus does have strengths and it does have weaknesses, but very few postings on here get near to discussing what they are.

I glanced at the Argus today and was interested to see Piercy's injury may only be a 3-week lay-off, and also that McGhee has decided not to gamble his last loan signing on a midfielder.

What do people want from the Argus? Saying that Naylor should be boycotted because he is a Stoke supporter is as ridiculous as saying Oatway should be boycotted because he is a QPR fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here