Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Companies/brands you remember that no longer exist

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
The Townsend Thoresen reference on another thread got me thinking. I don't believe they exist any more, presumably due to their unfortunate habit of leaving the back door open on their ferries.

So on the subject of long forgotten brands or companies: I give you- the Betamax video :clap:

betamax.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What a great thread idea, Edna.

British Caledonian Airways, Southern Sound, TVS, Radio Brighton, Southern TV, Presto, Fine Fare, Gateway, Rediffusion, Oracle, TSB, Midlands Bank...

I'm sure there's plenty more from my childhood.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The South Stand roof used to be adorned with Rediffusion boards, then shortly afterwards their new TV channels 'CableVision'.

I'm voting Michael Robinson my Rediffusion Player of the Year for 1980/81.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
The South Stand roof used to be adorned with Rediffusion boards, then shortly afterwards their new TV channels 'CableVision'.

Which reminds me: I'm pretty sure the reward for winning the Albion's Player of the Season back in the late 1980s was always a Rediffusion 14" colour television. Courtesy, probably, of Radio Rentals.

Woohooooooooo!

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
On the ferry vibe; do Sealink still exist?

Bought out by Stena Line, according to Wikipedia.

Townsend Thoresen was rebranded P&O Ferries. Apparently by the time they salvaged the wreck of the Herald of Free Enterprise from off the coast of Zeebrugge, the company had already scratched the TT logo from the funnel, so concerned were they by the impact of the disaster on their brand.

Priorities, priorities :nono:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
People have problems over the years the Midland Bank has very good ears...

Was that really their advertising campaign? btw were they also the 'listening bank'?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Townsend Thoresen reference on another thread got me thinking. I don't believe they exist any more, presumably due to their unfortunate habit of leaving the back door open on their ferries.

So on the subject of long forgotten brands or companies: I give you- the Betamax video :clap:

betamax.jpg

Whilst we at home had to suffer the inferior format of VHS, the professional Betamax format, Betacam went onto to become the industry standard and is still being used to this day.

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
British Rail
432px-BR-logo.svg.png

and

(one for the geeks)

the blue and yellow InterCity 125 locomotives, as promoted by Sir Jimmy Savile, with the slogan This is the age of the train
inter125.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
are Farah Slacks still going?

edna krabappel

Jul 7, 2003
Happy Eater restaurants

HappyEater.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports