Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those serious-faced runs by losing goalscorers

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've got to say, we've had our differences (Glenn Murray)...but that is stunning.

Take a bow.

Why THANK you :blush:

What we need now is a name for the unnamed hero at the other end, the goal-tender who, having done a stunning sequence of match-saving reflex saves in the space of a couple of seconds, angrily assails any fellow defender who dares to congratulate him on his goal-tending prowess. If he were to assail an opponent in such a manner it would often lead to a straight red.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
you see a keeper/goaldown retriever getting tangled up in the net and each other about as much as you see halleys comet, but thats brilliant too. Adds an added level of ridiculousness to the run back to the centre circle afterwards.

Man of Harveys I am glad you have raised this, I tip my hat to you. It has always cracked me up too.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Why THANK you :blush:

What we need now is a name for the unnamed hero at the other end, the goal-tender who, having done a stunning sequence of match-saving reflex saves in the space of a couple of seconds, angrily assails any fellow defender who dares to congratulate him on his goal-tending prowess. If he were to assail an opponent in such a manner it would often lead to a straight red.

Gob - Stopper?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Couldn't we call such a run "A Sheppey"

Tough, grimly determined but ultimately futile.

I'll get my coat.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just seen a classic goaldown retriever from Norwich on SSN - THREE players all tried to pick up the ball!
:lolol:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Goaldown Retriever should be mentioned using a Jeremy Clarkson voice.

Clarkson: 'and Geoff Horsfield is the Goaldown Retiever'....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
lol that was funny they had just made it 4-2 with a few minutes to go

Another 4-2, and...

I also like the way they usually SLAM the ball down dramatically on the centre spot and hurry back to position in preperation for kickoff

...check...

This always amuses me. Especially as having presumably played the game for decades, you'd have thought they would realise the game can't actually begin until BOTH teams are ready, and since the opposition is invariably dawdling along in an effort to preserve their slender lead, such preparation is usually pointless.

...check!

[yt]9XFspdbS2tI[/yt]

Sir Sarcy

Hip-Hopopotamus
Jul 10, 2003
The Field
I seem to recall Roy Keane performing a classic Goal-Down Retriever in the 1999 CL semi final when United played Juventus.

He was obviously suspended for the final and with United down at the time the goal, although important for the team, was in a way irrelevant to him.

Anyone who can be bothered to track the clip down can take the glory

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Top bouncing Bozza

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Can we also have a term for when goalkeepers make a spectacular save, then go ballistic at whoever is nearest to them, often for no apparent reason? Kuipers is an expert at this. I've always been bewildered by this phenomenon, as if they are somehow angered by their own save.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can we also have a term for when goalkeepers make a spectacular save, then go ballistic at whoever is nearest to them, often for no apparent reason? Kuipers is an expert at this. I've always been bewildered by this phenomenon, as if they are somehow angered by their own save.

I think its a case of:

"Do you realise, has it even OCCURRED to you, what a goalkeeping GENIUS I have to be playing behind you mugs ? Now I've bailed you out again this time but I'm not JESUS CHRIST. Now SORT YOUR f***ing MARKING OUT".

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8

Post Dramatic Save Syndrome - PDSS

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Anyone see another classic moment today in the Burton game? One of their players managed to miss from literally three inches out - the ball squirting off the side of his foot and rolling square across the goalmouth.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he slid into the goal and got his studs tangled in the net. So with the camera trained on him to see his reaction to the miss, he was pathetically trying to tug his foot free.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bristol Rovers put in a perfect Goaldown Retriever on Saturday, as did Wolves when (on MOTD 2) when they pulled one back against Sunderland.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Could the mods not delete the winning response so that this competition could run longer?

I mean,we could have had countless reasonable terms dreamt up for this phootball phenomenon,but some smartarse gives the winning name away right at the start.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
It's brilliant when players do it. Then when play restarts again, there straight out of the blocks, running after the ball, like they've never run before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here