Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

do the Post Office accept COINS when paying into a bank account?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I've got bags of £1, 50p, 20p to put into my bank.....payed in notes before at the PO but just wondered if they turn people away with bags of coins. Stupid question I know but this world is a strange old place!
ta

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you have bags of £1 coins they may not take them at the Post Office , banks or retail outlets with the news today that 1 in 20 £1 coins are fake.

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
pay in what you like, its all money.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Some banks will also charge a fee if you have lots of coins bagged up.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Some banks will also charge a fee if you have lots of coins bagged up.

yeah thats whats turning me away from a bank, I have to go well out've my way to go to the bank in Brighton (Co-operative) so wanna use Shoreham PO or if they say no then Shoreham Lloyds and risk a charge :annoyed:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I don't get the logic of banks charging customers to lodge coin, considering they charge retailers a fee to GET coin in the first place... and hence need to get coin in. If its pre bagged in the correct amounts thats another boost for them. My own bank charges a fee if you're changing over 50 quids worth, but not if lodging it. They happen to provide some of the UK PO's banking services but I don't think their exact fee structure will have copied over!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't get the logic of banks charging customers to lodge coin, considering they charge retailers a fee to GET coin in the first place... and hence need to get coin in. If its pre bagged in the correct amounts thats another boost for them. My own bank charges a fee if you're changing over 50 quids worth, but not if lodging it. They happen to provide the UK PO's banking services but I don't think their exact fee structure will have copied over!

Banks charge business accounts a fee to deposit money irrespective of whether its notes or coins which is something I complained about but that contributes towards them making huge profits.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Banks charge business accounts a fee to deposit money irrespective of whether its notes or coins which is something I complained about but that contributes towards them making huge profits.

Not all of them

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not all of them

Possibly not but I was with Nat West and my account was held in Ewell when we had the pub in Guildford and I paid into Nat West in Guildford they charged me to credit the money to my account in Ewell . When we found out we transferred the account to Guildford and as we moved pub we moved the bank account to that town.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Charging you to lodge money in the "Wrong branch" of the same bank is reprehensible. My bank has moved to a system where accounts are basically locationless; I suggested moving my account to the branch I always use from my old branch (which I've been in once in four years) and they said it wasn't possible let alone needed - it just affects which sort code you've got; thats all.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well it's hardly a secret that the banking industry have been taking the piss for centuries now.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
yeah thats whats turning me away from a bank, I have to go well out've my way to go to the bank in Brighton (Co-operative) so wanna use Shoreham PO or if they say no then Shoreham Lloyds and risk a charge :annoyed:

Hey Marc - If I remember correctly you live in Sh'm ... I've never used it, but there's a machine up at Tescos Holmbush that takes all coins. I think it gives you some sort of credit voucher to use in the shop. Don';t know if that's any use to you.

While I'm on the line, do I remember correctly that you have (or have done) grown your own chillies ??

TD.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
My little lad has a money box bursting with shrapnel, when we payed it into his account at HSBC they had one of those "coinstar" type machines that you pour it into and they then credited his account with the chitty you get.

Good idea that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here