Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Potts

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was on this day in 1978 when 'supersub' Eric Potts scored 2 in the last 2 mins to turn a 1 goal deficit into a 2-1 win for Albion v Sunderland. He hadn't been on long either.

Just thought i'd say, like.

:ascarf:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It was on this day in 1978 when 'supersub' Eric Potts scored 2 in the last 2 mins to turn a 1 goal deficit into a 2-1 win for Albion v Sunderland. He hadn't been on long either.

Cheered me up that has, remembering that game.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
bloody hell i was at the game

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
flippin eck, I was there.

it was immense, the north stand was packed.

i ended up on the east terrace on the shelf. the north east corner was absolutely rammed with machams.

eric potts was almost a lughing stock at the time, a limp weak, ginger out of form winger - and feck me he came on and equalised and the place went wild (I mean like 30000 wild) and then he bagged the winner and people didn't know whether to shout, scream, laugh or cry! an amazing day out, great memories.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
hey, Mr Potts, fame at last, your own thread!

The real Eric would be in Albion's 'ginger 11' (maybe we haven't quite got 11 yet) but he was a typical winger who, on his (rare) day would run rings around teams.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
i was there as well.remember game against Millwall,2 down at half time won 3-2,millwall supporters trying to get into directors box.did eric potts play in that game as well?

The Millwall game was the season before he joined. looking at that season, Albion only used 20 players in the whole season.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I was there too, bit worrying to find out it was over 30 years ago, it doesn't seem like that long ago :shrug:

I was in the North Stand, it was absolutely jam packed and I remember getting squashed to bits when we scored the first goal, then I hadn't even made my way back to my original place on the terrace when we scored the second. Didn't Eric Potts get a few late goals around that time so we called him supersub?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Was at both the Sunderland and Millwall games .
The team playing in that era ( '75 - '79 ) always looked capable
of getting back into the match whenever they went a goal or 2 down .

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

Yup, I remember it well. I was on the East Terrace along with quite a few MACAM's. They were a good bunch of lads and called their keeper 'The flying pig', can't remember who he actually was. Some of them actually cried at the final whistle.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I was there! Think it was the first time I ever saw Eric score.... and then he did it twice.... we went ape!!!! Bet he never scored twice again for us.

Freddie mate... have you got all this marvellous data written down or have you got photographic memory?

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Yup, I remember it well. I was on the East Terrace along with quite a few MACAM's. They were a good bunch of lads and called their keeper 'The flying pig', can't remember who he actually was. Some of them actually cried at the final whistle.

Their 'keeper-who looked as if he had eaten quite a few pies-was Barry Siddall.

I watched this game with a Sunderland-supporting mate from Uni, so I found it all very funny as you can imagine.

As has been said, that team could always come back in a game-as opposed to the 72/3 lot who would crumble during a game (see the Milwall v albion YouTube thread).

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was there! Think it was the first time I ever saw Eric score.... and then he did it twice.... we went ape!!!! Bet he never scored twice again for us.

Freddie mate... have you got all this marvellous data written down or have you got photographic memory?

I remember him scoring the only goal at blackburn in a cracker of a match but, without checking, cannot be sure if it was the season
before, it certainly was later in the year, April i think.

As for my memories, well I look at the site that gives scores on a certain day and see what triggers the old memory. Sometimes I check the odd fact but. in the main, it's just how i remember it. I think your memory is honed to certain times and mine is pretty good from 67 -79 but then I got kids and grew old!

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Yep Eric Potts for me.

He always caused us problems when he played for Wednesday.

If I remember rightly he scored against us when we beat Wednesday 3-2 in a night game which saw us get promoted to DIV 1.

Without doubt the best atmosphere ever in the North Stand. The surges crushed the air out of me and the singing was deafening. Pitch invasion at the end. Great memories.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep Eric Potts for me.

If I remember rightly he scored against us when we beat Wednesday 3-2 in a night game which saw us get promoted to DIV 1.

Without doubt the best atmosphere ever in the North Stand. The surges crushed the air out of me and the singing was deafening. Pitch invasion at the end. Great memories.

I was at that game and the late late goals against Sunderland game. Both were fan bloody tastic

I am pretty certain he did score for Weds, maybe the opener?

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Yep Eric Potts for me.

Possibly my most favourite Albion game ever…deafening in the North and a strange sense we were going to win that game no matter what!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here