Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alton Towers

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
I'm driving up there tomorrow night and going to the park on Tuesday, and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the best rides are or the best order to do it or anything, I've not been there before.

Cheers:drink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Go for the fast ride tickets where available.

The one that does the vertical drop is very good but is best on the fast track ticket.

Whatever happens go on Nemesis, the best ride I have ever been on (so far) basically cause you are suspended so you can't see where you are going as with a normal roller coaster and the track in front of you. When you get to front of the queue for Nemesis join the additional queue to be on the front of the ride for an extra 15 minutes it is well worth it.

If you like getting wet the log flume is good and the rapids as well.

Have a good day - it's a great laugh and there should be less queues term time on a weekday.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I've always been told to go anti-clockwise. Apparently most people go clockwise so you have a better chance of getting on rides.
This will however, mean that you start with Oblivion. It's pretty much kill or cure if you're unsure. Nemesis is great and personally I like the Black Hole.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Cheers for that, definately sounds like a good day! We've got 15 odd of us going up there coz we've finished A-Levels and are hoping for a good day! Sadly, I am the only one who can drive so i have to drive the whole way...d'oh!!!

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Oh yeah, has anyone been on that "Air" yet, i've seen a video of it and it looks crazy! Unlike anything else i've ever been on!:D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I doubt you'll need to queue that much - some friends went a week or so ago mid-week and went on Oblivion 15 times

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
I liked Oblivion best, for sheer headrush, but it's over pretty quickly. Air is pretty wild (best at the front, but you have to queue for longer) as is Nemesis. If you get there early, go on these rides first, the waiting times when the crowds turn up later are lengthy.
Ripsaw, Submission and Runaway Train are also pretty good.
Once you've been on these, just go round the park in a circle, and get the remaining rides in. You'll do them all in a day, even visiting at peak season like you are.

Have fun!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Have they still got the Corkscrew running up there, 'cos that it is a proper old school coaster, and the Beast was fun 'cos they didn't strap you in. Sorry if either of these fine coaster are no longer there, as they were wicked when I went there nearly ten years ago (and I was very drunk too, which made them even better!! )

:drink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Corkscrew was there around 2 to 3 yrs ago.

I remember going there and that was the ride at the time.

Showing my age a bit.

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Corkscrew was there last year but Beast wasn't. Surpassed by Air and Nemesis, I'm afraid.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Beach Hut said:
Corkscrew was there around 2 to 3 yrs ago.

I remember going there and that was the ride at the time.

Showing my age a bit.

Hope the Corkscrew is still there as it's a bit of a national icon, and was used as part of Alton Towers branding for years.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
If that's one that was there about 20 years ago odd then it is still there, read about it in some leaflet. God, a ride thats older than me, is it safe?!!!!:p

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
It does creak and clank a little, yes.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
[BIf that's one that was there about 20 years ago odd then it is still there, read about it in some leaflet. God, a ride thats older than me, is it safe?!! [/B]

My car is nearly that old and it's safe (well it passed it's MOT again), and I suspect the Corkscrew is better maintained!!!

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think you'll find it should be there unless it has been dismantled for Air.

I remember going around 12 years ago and there was this really strange ride where you where catapolted at a fast speed up and arc and then came down backwards.

Positively "chunk up" type ride, didn't last long as it wasn't there the next time I went.

I hope to go next year as my eldest "qualifies" for the big rides, went to "Parc Asterix" at Easter and he could go on "Goudrix" and thought it was fantastic.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That one you just mentioned was "Thunderloop" I think. Has that gone? That's a shame - i thought it was superb!

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
If you're getting there early then it's the best time to get on the front of rides. Nemesis and Air are fairly close together, but Oblivion is over the other side of the park.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here