Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stripey Nigel

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I was speaking to a Charlton fan at my work on friday and whilst discussing Charlton beating the scum on Tuesday he referred to palarse fans as "stripey nigels". I'd never heard this term before, is it's usage common and what exactly does it mean? Only it doesn't strike me as particularly insulting.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I think the gist of this is it's a put down to Palace's claims to be a Sarf London club with all the macho swaggering associated with that when truly their fan base comes from Epsom and other such Surrey commuter towns - i.e your name isn't something cool like Gaz , Wozza or Dazz but actually is far more likely to be Crispin or Nigel.

Before outraged Garry from Penge shoots me down I'm just explaining my understanding of the origin rather than saying it has any basis in fact.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think the gist of this is it's a put down to Palace's claims to be a Sarf London club with all the macho swaggering associated with that when truly their fan base comes from Epsom and other such Surrey commuter towns - i.e your name isn't something cool like Gaz , Wozza or Dazz but actually is far more likely to be Crispin or Nigel.

Before outraged Garry from Penge shoots me down I'm just explaining my understanding of the origin rather than saying it has any basis in fact.

Yeah that sound plausible seeing as how he mentioned that Millwall fans call them that as well.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nigel is reference to Nigel from Eastenders.In other words they have no firm.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
Palace's fan base comes from far and wide, obviously there is a large amount in the South London area, but on the other hand there are as mentioned a fair proportion in Surrey, Sussex and Kent. Its the geography of the club i suppose.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
And you have to laugh about Charlton fans calling anyone Nigel, i have never seen so many Norman's at a game as i did last Tuesday night at the Valley. And it is a tad rich as most of their support is bussed in from the Kent Medway Towns

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here