Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can a Pot Noodle go OFF ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got a Chicken & Mushroom Pot Noodle in my desk drawer here at work. Its been there a while, but I quite fancy it now - except I've just noticed its got a 'best before' date of September 08 printed on the side.

Surely this freeze-dried GUNK lasts pretty much forever dunnit ? I'm a bit of a MAVERICK though, so I'll probably just add the boiling water and risk all by devouring its noodley goodness anyway, regardless of any advice I might receive on these pages. I will report back with any adverse bowel contractions that may result, but I'm actually pretty confident of pulling this thing off with no unpleasant side effects (apart from the stinky breath and bits of sweetcorn stuck in the front teeth).

'Best Before date' ? - I LAUGH in your general direction.
'Food Poisoning' ? - I drop ICECUBES down the front of your vest

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Even if it did you wouldn't notice or maybe it is like a nice Cote du Rhone and gets better with age!!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No need to worry, Easy, no chickens or mushrooms were harmed during the making of your Pot Noodle. Not sure what the 'Use By' date is for cardboard, but I'm sure you'll be OK :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I found a nearly empty bottle of orange squash at the back of the cupboard yesterday, and, lacking much else at the time, poured it into a glass, diluted it and started to drink.

Thought it tasted a bit funny, then I looked at the date: September 2005 :lolol: Three and a half years out of date, give or take: anybody eaten/drank anything older than that?

Note to self: tidy cupboards more often....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I've just had a couple of mouthfuls of this thing, and I have to say, its absolutely ****ing VILE.
Therefore, quite clearly, it's completely normal. This 'best before' lark on Pot Noodles is an utter waste of ink.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Best before dates are completely arbitrary anyway, it's not as though the item is going to suddenly reach that date and then decay. It's just stores attempting to maintain their reputation, and they're bound to err significantly on the side of caution.

Use by dates on perishable foods are a bit different I guess, personally I probably wouldn't go for a packet of prawns that was a week past, but I don't suppose even something like chicken is going to become inedible at midnight on the day printed on the packet.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A 'Best Before' date just refers to the quality of the product - ie the manufacturer reckons it doesn't quite as "nice" after that date.

If it was a 'Use By' date, you're chancing your arm if you scoff it after then!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
& how come all these mineral waters that have been filtered for millions of years through sandstone and/or volcanic rock have a 'Best Before Date' of sometime early next April? ???

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The danger, i imagine, is for it to ever go ON. It starts off off and looks to stay that way, ashamed of itself if it ever gets written favourably of in tastebud-pleasure or wet-me-and-eat-me-i-dare-you magazines you see in culinary newsagents.
They're a bit like a child born to be a referee or PE teacher, whistling their concerns to disinterested parents or forever carrying a sack of unwashed spare shorts of an elephantian size, in terms of being wrong from day one and not pretending to be anything but.
If i see a new flavour (of P Noodles, not unlikeable bairns), then i have to admit buying and trying. The magic of the word "new" i suppose.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They're a bit like a child born to be a referee or PE teacher, whistling their concerns to disinterested parents or forever carrying a sack of unwashed spare shorts of an elephantian size, in terms of being wrong from day one and not pretending to be anything but.

What MB said :lol:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is what Salmonella looks like. Come to think of it, not a lot different to Pot Noodle. Happy eating.

siod_salmonella_04.jpg

There's no chicken in Pot Noodles, they're vegetarian...

It's too dry to go off man, you could eat that shit a 100 years from now and it wouldn't harm you, only the flavour would be impaired.

And if I'm lying I'll eat my piles.

I'd love to know where you get your scientific evidence.

Ok. There's this program on Virgin on Demand TV Choice and there's this Scientific program called What if...? Or What does...? Or some shit like dat and they did experiements on food going off. The bag of salad went off really badly in a week but he could still eat powedered chicken rice stuff 7 years later cos there was no water in it, so no bacteria could grow that easily.

So now you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here