Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal Drink Drive Limit

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
1.5 pints shou7ld be ok, but then maybe not as above depending on size, food eated etc.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can the police do random stops now then? I thought they had to have a reason to stop you.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can the police do random stops now then? I thought they had to have a reason to stop you.

In terms of purely stopping you, they can do it pretty well whenever they like. They don't HAVE to have a specific reason, though in practice, there will generally be a purpose to it, unless a particular operation is underway.

To require a preliminary test (ie breath or impairment test), they have to reasonably suspect that

1) you are or have been driving, attempting to drive or are in charge of a motor vehicle with alcohol or a drug in your body

2) you are or have been driving, attempting to drive or are in charge of a motor vehicle and commit a moving traffic offence

3) Or you've been involved in an accident.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I was chatting with a friend at the weekend who was "randomly" stopped by the Police twice in the space of half an hour last week, so it seems like they are upping the campaign to keep tossers off the road this Christmas...good on em I say!

The Police won't usually stop people without a reason, no matter how random it might seem, my friend was informed that she had been stopped because she was driving too slowly...having slowed down because the road was icy! On the second stop she told the cop that she had just been stopped, he got on his radio and confirmed she wasn't trying to pull a fast one...then let her go on her way!

If anyone thinks it is safe to drink and drive then I sincerely hope that you only kill yourself and not some unwitting bystander!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Scored ZERO when tested last week...said i hadnt had a drink for a week but copper insisted on testing me...what are your rights to refuse a test ?

i beleive refusal to provide a sample means you can be arrested and have a blood test at station. if you havn't had a drink then i cant see the problem in providing - you have nothing to hide and the police are only doing their job

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
i beleive refusal to provide a sample means you can be arrested and have a blood test at station. if you havn't had a drink then i cant see the problem in providing - you have nothing to hide and the police are only doing their job

As far as I'm aware, failing to provide a sample carries the same penalty as drink-driving - otherwise people knowing they were over the limit would simply refuse to be tested and get away with it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you refuse and there's reasonable grounds to suspect you have been drinking (ie you smell of alcohol or your demeanour suggests you've had a sherbet or two), you commit the offence of failing to provide, and will almost certainly be arrested.

Once you get to a police station you will be given the option of providing an evidential sample of breath, or possibly blood/urine depending on the circumstances, and if you refuse that, you will get charged with failing to provide, simple as.

Some people think they can fool the equipment, by sucking instead of blowing, or by holding their breath, or by not breathing sufficiently and claiming it's the machine that's wrong. Trust me, we know when you're not doing it properly so don't waste my time :lolol: For what it's worth, it's always better to get the sample done, as if you don't, you'll probably get charged with failing to provide anyway, which carries the same penalty. Whereas if you actually do provide the sample, it may come back within the limit and you're no worse off.

Festive driving advice from your friendly local copper :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Other things you may be interested to know, should you be the sort of person who takes the odd chance:

-you don't have to fail a breath test to be arrested for drink driving. You can simply be nicked on suspicion of being unfit to drive, and then required to give an evidential sample at the station

-if you crash and pretend to be unconscious or injured to avoid giving a breath sample, they can take blood off you at hospital and analyse that instead

-the old 2p coin in your mouth thing is a classic urban myth, albeit one that a miraculous number of people seem to fall for (think about it...)

-you don't actually have to be driving to get nicked- if you're seen trying unsuccessfully to start the car, or, as another example, you fell asleep pissed in the driver's seat by the roadside, and had the keys in the ignition, you could still be committing an offence. Bear this in mind if you're thinking of kipping in your car after a party...

-as the radio adverts suggest, if you do get busted, you'll most likely spend the rest of the night in a cell, as even once charged, they won't release you until you've sobered up sufficiently that they don't think you'll go straight out and drive again.

Seriously, it's a crappy thing to do, as drink drivers never seem to kill themselves, only others
:(

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
The limit is 35 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.

Don't you have a couple extra on that for leeway ?

Seem to remember Lewes cops nicking me whilst sitting in my car with keys in passenger footwell, waiting for mate to get me.
Done a roadside test, fail - down Lewes Station for the full machine, and gave a 36 reading, but was told thats OK, off you pop..
Then had to walk back to my car and drive it home, as too late for lift/taxi etc..:censored:

shabba

Dec 22, 2004
Bookham
Buy yourself a brethalyser at brethalyser.com, from £80, then you can't go wrong. Personally I can drink a bottle 0f wine and 2 hours later passs a breath test!............................................but I'm nearly an alcoholic!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A police inspector once gave me a bit of advice When stopped and asked if you have been drinking say NO they may believe you and say ok drive safetly and goodnight or they may make you take a breatherlyser it is 50/50. If you say YES but I have only had 1/2 of shandy they are legally bound to give you a breatherlyser. So your 50/50 becomes a dead cert test.

The simple answer is do not have 1 drink I believe the limit should be zero at least then you would know the answer to questions like this.

Nadger

Sep 4, 2003
Brighton
I have no problem just stick to SDL (Standard driving larger) i.e. Carlsberg/Carling had 5 pints before been tested and passed with flying colours only worry if you're on the real stuff Stella / 1664

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have no problem just stick to SDL (Standard driving larger) i.e. Carlsberg/Carling had 5 pints before been tested and passed with flying colours only worry if you're on the real stuff Stella / 1664

Quite possibly the worst piece of advice I've ever read on here...

.. and there's been a few.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here