Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long was it before Alex Ferguson won his first trophy at Man United?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Did Ferguson transform United to a team challenging for European qualification to a team that was in a relegation scrap?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He was appointed in 1986 and did not win a trophy until 1990 (The FA Cup). He did not win the league until 92/93. He was on the verge of the sack for a while, I seem to remember.

I do not think Ferguson is a decent example though as he has ALWAYS had more money than the vast majority of the teams in the top flight.

He was appointed in 1986 and did not win a trophy until 1990 (The FA Cup). He did not win the league until 92/93. He was on the verge of the sack for a while, I seem to remember.

I do not think Ferguson is a decent example though as he has ALWAYS had more money than the vast majority of the teams in the top flight.

Is the correct answer. :thumbsup:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Just imagine how much MORE success they'd have had if they'd been patient and stuck with Big Ron. :smokin:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fergie and Howard Kendall (first time) are the exception to the rule.
Should Charlton have stuck with Pardew ?
Villa with O`Leary ?
Claridge at Pompey ?
How long do you wait, not that I am advocating Adams gets the boot........ yet.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
don't be daft. do you think if coventry had stuck with adams they would now be top of the championship? didn't think so.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
There was a bad spell with Micky Adams last time around just before we thrashed Chester 7-1 where Adams job was being called into question.

The next season we went onto win the league.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We have this debate every sunday and monday after yet another dismal performance/result but the truth is Adam`s job is one of the safest in the leagues. No way is Knight going to sack him because of the money and because it makes him look like a complete twot.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There was a bad spell with Micky Adams last time around just before we thrashed Chester 7-1 where Adams job was being called into question.

The next season we went onto win the league.

Adams has signed another Zamora has he ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Adams is safe at least until springtime...... he may be dumped if relegation seems possible but equally, if we did get promoted how would we pay the required increase in wages ?
Dick will be happy with 5 th from bottom given the financial crisis

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
knight claims he spotted zamora by the way. just sharing. he also takes credit for cullip too

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
knight claims he spotted zamora by the way. just sharing. he also takes credit for cullip too

Culip played for Adams twice before he even came to Brighton so if Knight did say that then it makes him look a big old silly billy doesn`t it ?
Whoever first saw Zamora - whether it be Knight or Adams - just got lucky in my opinion. Neither has backed it up with any other great finds have they.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Adams is safe at least until springtime...... he may be dumped if relegation seems possible but equally, if we did get promoted how would we pay the required increase in wages ?
Dick will be happy with 5 th from bottom given the financial crisis

If we did get promotion ? Have you been drinking brake fluid again ?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
just telling you what he said. that is all.

to be fair we made some tremendous signings back then. carpenter, brooker, watson, oatway etc helped us monster the league under taylor in the second championship season.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Did Ferguson transform United to a team challenging for European qualification to a team that was in a relegation scrap?

So, if I take your point correctly, what do you think we challenged for last season? Please don't say you think we were challenging for the playoffs - it never looked remotely likely.

What would be fairer to compare is where we finish. Wilkins had us 7th and Adams has yet to finish a season. It would be spectacularly stupid if he didn't get to.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have always thought that the Zamora signing was rather flattering on Adams (and Taylor). Even Hinshelwood might have lasted a lot longer if he had Bobby at his disposal. Did MA personally find him and convince the club that we needed him? Did he see something in him that no-one else did?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Every successful club has a striker scoring 25 + goals. Murray and Forster might not reach that on their own but together we are likely to get about the same as say Zamora and Steel or Zamora and Hart did.

It's the rest of the team which has yet to gel but I think next season is going to be the one where we are more likely to challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish this season strongly as well.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
He was on the verge of the sack for a while, I seem to remember.

and it was this man who scored THE goal that ensured ferguson didnt get the sack:

Mark_Robins_new_655063.jpg

legend :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

he does have a habbit of doing that though - taking the credit for signings that work out rather well, and then distancing himself as much as possible from cock ups like turienzo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here