Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Teacher Asks You To Do Homework on a Person Who Has Changed The World

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You are ten years old in an SE London junior school. You are given the choice of

Rosa Parks
Martin Luther King
Nelson Mandela

Who do you chose? Or do you say oh I would prefer to do something else there is obviously a racial agenda to this, is this any way for ten year olds to be educated? Or do you just get on with it oblivious to how you at TEN, are being manipulated by well meaning but idiotic racists.

Anyone who cares to tell me this isnt happening all over London and we are lucky to live in such a tolerant society and oh how smugly say we are streets ahead of America in our enlightened race relations, if so please feel free to state your reasons for these views below.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't understand. Is this a poll? I vote Nelson Mandela, anyone who names themselves after a Specials song is alright in my book

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
would you of heard of these people at 10years old in a SE london school? at that age (if I was 10 now) I'd probably say David Beckham!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You are ten years old in an SE London junior school. You are given the choice of

Rosa Parks
Martin Luther King
Nelson Mandela

Who do you chose? Or do you say oh I would prefer to do something else there is obviously a racial agenda to this, is this any way for ten year olds to be educated? Or do you just get on with it oblivious to how you at TEN, are being manipulated by well meaning but idiotic racists.

Anyone who cares to tell me this isnt happening all over London and we are lucky to live in such a tolerant society and oh how smugly say we are streets ahead of America in our enlightened race relations, if so please feel free to state your reasons for these views below.

Why do you have a problem with it? Would you say the same if it were three white people? Consider, if you will that trained, experienced teachers and education authorities may know what they are doing.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Are you sure there's not supposed to be some sort of racial agenda to this, and what I mean by that is a clear line in the curriculum that says this is about black history, not sneaked in the back door like you think. If it is just history in general then those options are stupid. No columbus, no Isaac Newton ???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why do you have a problem with it? Would you say the same if it were three white people? Consider, if you will that trained, experienced teachers and education authorities may know what they are doing.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Good old nibble. Thats cheered my up. Education chiefs knowing what they are doing.... brilliant.:lol::lol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Rosa Parks
Martin Luther King
Nelson Mandela

No Al Jolson ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Are you sure there's not supposed to be some sort of racial agenda to this, and what I mean by that is a clear line in the curriculum that says this is about black history, not sneaked in the back door like you think. If it is just history in general then those options are stupid. No columbus, no Isaac Newton ???

you obviously do not have much experience of modern inner london junior schools. black history month is just the high water mark of this agenda, a bit like december and christmas is to our all year round relentless consumerism.

i know all about the curriculum, where schools are 70%+ black, white middle class teachers feel the need to make it more 'relevant', the implication being you relate better to people who share your skin colour. A dangerous and very foolish way to look at the world, and one that certainly does not help ethnic minority children, in my view.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you are quite mad.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Rosa Parks
Martin Luther King
Nelson Mandela

Rosa Parks definitely not. Rather like Gavaril Princip (the man who shot Archduke Ferdinand) she's famous for one particular action and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as King or Mandela.

I'd probably say King for his work with the Civil Rights movement. Definitely one of the greatest people of the latter half of the 20th century.

I do agree it is a bit narrow. Probably a better three would be Martin Luther King, Muhammed Ali and Lenny Henry, that way you've got three people from different fields as opposed to just politics or political activism.

Presumably these kids are being guided in their studies.

There's a KS3 set of worksheets available to schools that features men and women who are possible role models for young people ...

MARGARET PASTON
HILDA OF WHITBY
JOAN OF ARC
ELIZABETH I
BESS OF HARDWICK
OLAUDAH EQUIANO
HARRIET TUBMAN
MARY SEACOLE
FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE
ELIZABETH GARRETT ANDERSON
ELIZABETH FRY
EMMELINE AND CHRISTABEL PANKHURST
MARIE STOPES
ANNE FRANK
JESSE OWENS
MAHATMA GANDHI
ROSA PARKS
MARTIN LUTHER KING
GOLDA MEIR
MARIE CURIE
AMY JOHNSON
HELEN SHARMAN
CECILY SAUNDERS
NELSON MANDELA
MAYA ANGELOU
UNSUNG HEROES

An individual classroom teacher will obviously make their own selection from this list, but to claim that there is an inevitable "racial agenda" that will "happen all over London" is NONSENSE.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Rosa Parks definitely not. Rather like Gavaril Princip (the man who shot Archduke Ferdinand) she's famous for one particular action and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as King or Mandela.

I'd probably say King for his work with the Civil Rights movement. Definitely one of the greatest people of the latter half of the 20th century.

I do agree it is a bit narrow. Probably a better three would be Martin Luther King, Muhammed Ali and Lenny Henry, that way you've got three people from different fields as opposed to just politics or political activism.

Rosa Parks was a well known troublemaker on buses. She would smoke in the no smoking section, leave her shopping bags in the aisle for people to trip over and would then talk to the driver when it was clearly signed that this distracted them. It was never about race.

ps and she was a fare dodger.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What a turd list. Where are some of the English greats? Inventors? Leaders, War heros?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Whilst he's a icon for many people, I struggle to see how Mandela has changed the world...Yes he's a great man in most respects but what's not reported is his staunch objection to contraception in South Africa which, as a result of HIS policies as President has meant that the number of people in South Africa with HIV/AIDs is higher than any other African country. In addition, little fuss is made of his and South Africa's support for Mugabe in Zimbabwe.

So when people say he's changed the world, some may argue not necessarily for the good.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Presumably these kids are being guided in their studies.

There's a KS3 set of worksheets available to schools that features men and women who are possible role models for young people ...

MARGARET PASTON
HILDA OF WHITBY
JOAN OF ARC
ELIZABETH I
BESS OF HARDWICK
OLAUDAH EQUIANO
HARRIET TUBMAN
MARY SEACOLE
FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE
ELIZABETH GARRETT ANDERSON
ELIZABETH FRY
EMMELINE AND CHRISTABEL PANKHURST
MARIE STOPES
ANNE FRANK
JESSE OWENS
MAHATMA GANDHI
ROSA PARKS
MARTIN LUTHER KING
GOLDA MEIR
MARIE CURIE
AMY JOHNSON
HELEN SHARMAN
CECILY SAUNDERS
NELSON MANDELA
MAYA ANGELOU
UNSUNG HEROES

An individual classroom teacher will obviously make their own selection from this list, but to claim that there is an inevitable "racial agenda" that will "happen all over London" is NONSENSE.

yes sorry mate you are right what a f***ing idiot I am looking for excuses to bring race into this due to my own issues. Thank f*** there are people like you out there to tell me this isn't so.

Let's hope next term they are reading The Emperor's New Clothes eh.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My ten year old's class are also writing biographies at the moment. My lad is doing his on Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
What I don't understand about this thread (and please excuse my ignorance) is why does it matter?

Yes they are all role models from either the American civil rights movement or apartheid South Africa, but does this matter? Would it have been better if a white person was in this list?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
So far this year my seven year old has been focusing on Samuel Pepys. And Judaism.

And I echo Strings' query. They're all black, yes, but why does this mean a racial conspiracy is in place?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Henri Paul

If he hadn't bent the bosses Merc we would still be able to buy The Daily Express without having a picture of Princess Di slapped on the front 2-3 times a week

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What I don't understand about this thread (and please excuse my ignorance) is why does it matter?

Yes they are all role models from either the American civil rights movement or apartheid South Africa, but does this matter? Would it have been better if a white person was in this list?

how about Adolf Hitler ?... he changed the world for the better by the WRONGS that he did. Without him would we have NATO/United Nations/the EEC ?

Face it, inter-country war in Western Europe is now almost certain to never occur again. Also, Hitler's actions led to the creation of Israel.. would that have happened without him ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here