Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest Stranglers Songs

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There' so bloody many I know but give us a list. Select the best songs from the unchallenged greatest band of all time

Down in the Sewer
Walk on by
Tank
No More Heroes
Princess of the night
Sweden
Dagenham Dave
The Raven

Rattus Norveigus is without doubt the greatest debut album of all time, nothing can match the powe and might of this superb offering.

Pop Idol generation . does yourselves a favour and listen to this masterpeice.

GG

Is she trying to get out of that clitor*s , Liberation is what I preach preacher man

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Walk on By - one of the best ever cover versions

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This band were in the " punk " era but were so far ahead of anyone at the time in terms of talent and musicianship it was frightening. Walk on by is the greatest cover version ever made no question.

I loved them at 15 and I still love them at 41 !.

GG

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is she trying to get out of her clitor*s
Liberation for Women is what I preach preacher man.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Peaches
Golden Brown

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I cannot believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.

My dad listens to them and it was one of the tapes I used to nick off him.

Always the Sun is by far the best Stranglers song.

I also like Peaches and Golden Brown.

My dad says Golden Brown.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I've never really been a fan, and can't really point to a favourite track as such. But having seen the band play at Guilfest this year I thought I'd say what a great set that put on. It was like listening to the soundtrack of my childhood, so many nice memories.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Grip
Peaches
Walk on by

The best track by a mile is:

Nice 'n ' sleazy

There is no better track for playing at full volume in the car. the instrumental break is fantastic in a small space.

Was it Nice 'n sleazy that the strippers came on stage for at the Stranglers gig at the Brighton Centre in '78 79?

They were rough as I recall !!

harold robbins

Jul 5, 2003
"Grip" is an absolute masterpiece.....well up there in my all time top 10. Closely followed by"Straighten Out" - saw them do it live at the Top Rank circa 1979 and thought it was one of the most greatest live perfomances I`d ever seen .......I still do.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
When I was 13, and we had a CDT class at school (Craft, Design and Technology...), our teacher said we had to make a metal 'model' of any image we liked (within reason).

Most people chose a football or a flower or something like that - I chose the Stranglers 'rat' image...

I don't think the teacher (a Canadian hippy) could quite understand....... :lolol:

There's also photos of me in the summer of 1983 at: my aunt and uncle's house; a Dorset beach; the top of a church tower in Oxfordshire, wearing my Stranglers 'rat' sweatshirt which I had proudly received from the fanzine...

The photos are a bit :blush: now, showing a barely pubescent 13-year-old, but I must have been one of the coolest 13-year-old kids around at the time...!! No Wham! T-shirts or Spandau Ballet mullets for me, oh no..

BTW - greatest songs -

No More Heroes
Hangin' Around
Peaches

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here