Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glassing someone in face for no reason - a year in prison

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Without sounding like the Daily Mail how the **** can you only get a year for this?

A trainee plumber broke a pint glass in the face of an innocent pub customer, leaving him needing 22 stitches.

Bradley Hemsley, 20, told police he forgot he was holding the glass when he went to punch victim Philip Durrant.

Mr Durrant was attacked without warning during a fight at The Railway, Burgess Hill.

At Lewes Crown Court Hemsley, of Walmer Crescent, Brighton, admitted wounding.

He was sentenced to one year in custody suspended for two years.

Hemsley must carry out 200 hours of unpaid work in the community and he was banned from the pub for two years.

He must also pay £1,100 costs.

The court heard the two men were at the pub in Burgess Hill on the night of September 22, 2006, when violence flared at closing time between two groups of customers.

Mr Durrant, a bank worker, was not involved in any of the trouble but he was attacked by Hemsley and left bleeding heavily from wounds to his nose and forehead.

Nicholas Hall, prosecuting, said after his arrest Hemsley admitted to police he had thrown a punch at Mr Durrant, who he had never met before.

Mr Hall said: “He said he didn’t realise he had a glass in his hand.”

Jeremy Wainwright, defending, said Hemsley, a trainee plumber, apologised for his actions and had acted out of character.

Judge Anthony Scott-Gall said: “This was a reckless wounding.

“He will be scarred, almost certainly, for life and no doubt mentally as well.

“This was a feckless, stupid act that was out of character.

“Anybody who rams a glass in somebody’s face commits a very serious offence."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Suspended. He will never serve time if he behaves himself now.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Does the victim get the opportunity to sue the attacker now?

Surely a scarring on the face for life must be worth compensation.

Last edited:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
Oh my god, I think I know of him. Haven't seen him for years.

Absolutely terrible, should of got a lot longer but it's almost what we've come to expect.

Where is the actual article from?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Scott-Gall strikes again, this guy is more inconsistant than Frank Lampard swapping from blue kits to white ones.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
A guy i used to go to school with in Horsham got off with a similar charge. He glasses a guy in a local nighclub, pilled out of his head etc and claimed he threw the glass to the floor and it bounced up and cut the guys face. Most ridiculous defence I have ever heard.

Only got off with it because none of his friends would testify against him.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
the railway went downhill fast since Theresa and Andy left a number of years ago.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I still have the scar under my chin from when I was glassed nearly 30 years ago.

The guy who did it wasn't even charged - a year sentence sounds pretty tough to me.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
and you can get fined up to £5000 for leaving your bin out too long. ha ha! this country has gone to rat shit

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here