Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton accent

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I got told that I had a Brighton accent at the weekend. A little perplexed by that because apart from the Coopers of Rottingdean, I wasn't aware that such a thing as a discernible accent still existed in Sussex. We're all kind of RP middle-class or mockneys or if you're like me both. I can drop my tees and aitches after a few beers.

Also, I'm not from Brighton. I'm a West side homey. Born and raised on the mean streets of Worthing.

This barmaid seemed absolutely certain that such a thing exists still. Me - I'm not convinced. Waddya reckon?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As long as you don't pronounce the T in Brigh'on, then you're okay.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have frequently been told that I have a South African accent. I assume there used to be a Brighton accent, but with so many newcomers (calm down HB&B) to the town, it has been immersed in a medley of different speaks.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I come from Haywards Heath and upon moving to Brighton I definitely noticed a slightly different accent from the locals.

I know some people from Brighton on their seventies and their accent is a toned version of a London accent, not as harsh as a Cockney accent though.
Rural Sussex accents are much different so I've been told.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But if you listen to the old music hall recordings of Brighton's most famousest son, Max Miller, I still can't make out an accent and he lived here all his life.

(God Bless Him - invented alternative comedy, did our Max)

There's definitely ways of expressing words that I recognise but it's not really an accent. It's a type of southern English - definitely not estuary English and there's definitely a clarity in all the words and a sort of softness to the accent. The pronunciation of "our" as something more akin to "air"

See what you think:

[yt]qBUfMNBjBTI[/yt]

Piece of NSC trivia - I seem to recall reading an NSCer saying that Mary from the Dairy was about an ancestor of his

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Pronounce your 'ee's like an 'i' and your halfway there, eg. Where have you bin? Have you sin that?.

Pedant alert: it was the Copper's from Rottingdean, not Cooper's.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I know some people from Brighton on their seventies and their accent is a toned version of a London accent, not as harsh as a Cockney accent though.
Rural Sussex accents are much different so I've been told.

You are right about the rural bit, it is fairly easy to tell in West Sussex if someone is from the north or south of the Downs, those from the coastal strip tend to have a bit of a London twang whilst the Wealden folk have an accent more akin to 'ampshire.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Our 'accent', I'm told, emanates from Gloucestershire, and does not have the flat vowel sounds associated with 'Estuary English' which northern monkeys so easily mistake for everyone in the south of England.

A rural Sussex accent, on the other hand, is something else altogether.

Saying 'bin' or 'sin' instead of 'been' or 'seen' is something I seemed to have picked up from a very early age, and I've no idea where from.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...also dropping the letter H, as in 'orsham, losing the letter G if it appears in the middle of a word like Storrin-ton and pronouncing "th" as V...like in Worving.

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
Yes, there is a Brighton accent.

I grew up and lived in Mid-Sussex, worked in Brighton for a few years, I could easily tell who was and wasn't from the Brighton area in The North Stand by their accents.

Not sure if I could now after 8 years in exile.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not Sure about a Brighton accent but i have been told i have a Sussex/Cockney accent many a time and it definitely comes out more when drinking.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
it's not an accent. It is how everything sounds when it is pronounced PROPERLY

Absolutely. Everyone else has an accent, but having been born in Brighton, I'm "normal". Mind you, having lived in exile for 15 years, I notice some of the youngsters now have "southern hemisphere" accents, where the end of the sentence goes "up" - as if asking a question?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Absolutely. Everyone else has an accent, but having been born in Brighton, I'm "normal". Mind you, having lived in exile for 15 years, I notice some of the youngsters now have "southern hemisphere" accents, where the end of the sentence goes "up" - as if asking a question?

Ahh. Yes. Questionese, I like to refer it as.

Thankfully, it seems to be on the wane what with dire Aussie soaps no longer on telly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here