Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It was seven years ago this month... (FANS UNITED)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It was seven years ago this month...

...that Richard Vaughan, a young Plymouth Argyle fan wrote on North Stand Chat about the way Archer and Bellotti were running the club into the ground. His post suggested that fans from around the country should come to the Goldstone wearing their own home team's colours.

So began Fans United.

I think a little (albeit belated) appreciation for Richard and his sense of solidarity and support...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

What are your memories of 8 February 1997?

Italiaseagull

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney
Re: It was seven years ago this month...

The Large One said:

Very very good ones. I especially remember the Eintracht Frankfurt fans in the North Stand, was brilliant of them to travel so far. :clap: :clap:

edna krabappel

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Fog.

Wondering what this so called Fans United Day would turn out like, expecting maybe a couple from the nearest league clubs.

Then driving up to the ground and seeing a car load of Norwich fans broken down at the roundabout at the top of Dyke Road and Snaky Hill. And being asked for directions to the Goldstone from half way along the Old Shoreham Road by Wolves and West Brom fans. THen we realised it was going to be something special.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Driving all the way from Aberdeen to a Job Interview at Gatwick the day before (which 2 weeks later I got) then staying at my Nans in Hove, who I hadn't seen for 6 years !!

The drive was done in my very first car, a mini, and it cost me £21 all the way down in petrol.

Changed days !!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
A truly Momentous time...."Respect" to everyone involved and to those fans who took the time to visit "The mighty Goldstone".

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

The Large One said:

Good and bad.

My birthday is February 9th and I'd organised a house party for the 8th after footy. Woke up in the morning to find my bathroom ceiling on my bathroom floor due to a leak from the upstairs flat!Major running around to get it made safe before going off to football.

The footy was brilliant. Not too many memories however due to the afore mentioned birthday party in the evening. All round a jolly spiffing day though !

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The memories.............

brighton.gif

:angel: :angel: Rip Goldtone!:angel: :angel:

edna krabappel said:
Then driving up to the ground and seeing a car load of Norwich fans broken down at the roundabout at the top of Dyke Road and Snaky Hill. And being asked for directions to the Goldstone from half way along the Old Shoreham Road by Wolves and West Brom fans. THen we realised it was going to be something special.

The last sentence of that just send a tingle up my spine.

Aside from the obvious I'd like to echo your first comment: fog.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
amazing day.

best moment for me was standing at the back of the northstand and seeing everyone hold their different scarves aloft. has there ever been such a mix of football fans ANYWHERE, EVER?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Old Trafford every saturday...all the fans there travel from miles to watch there team!!!

:clap2:

Trotster

Jul 9, 2003
Threshers
Fantastic Day, Fantastic Support - still got the certificate that was handed out on the day on my bedroom wall

Classic quote from it- 'No man is bigger than the club he purports to serve.'

Drooper

Jul 6, 2003
Uckfield

What are your memories of 8 February 1997? [/B]

I remember being surrounded at the game by all sorts of region accents, all having a great time exchanging friendly banter.

I think the scousers banter was one of the funniest things I have ever heard,

it was difficult to focus on the game as the crowd was far more entertaining that day...

Bloody great day

:bhasign:

:ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf:

Drooper

Jul 6, 2003
Uckfield

What are your memories of 8 February 1997? [/B]

I remember being surrounded at the game by all sorts of region accents, all having a great time exchanging friendly banter.

I think the scousers banter was one of the funniest things I have ever heard,

it was difficult to focus on the game as the crowd was far more entertaining that day...

Bloody great day

:bhasign:

:ascarf: :ascarf: :ascarf:

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Wondering what this so called Fans United Day would turn out like, expecting maybe a couple from the nearest league clubs.

Same here. I lived in Cambridge at the time, and thought it sounded like a nice idea, but wouldn't really come to much. I remember walking up Sackville Road and thinking it looked no busier than usual, then turning into Old Shoreham Road and seeing thousands of football fans in every conceivable strip queuing to support our team. It still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when I think about it.

The adrenaline rush on the part of the players must have played a huge part in the great score, and given that we stayed up on goal difference that season, without Fans United we'd probably have gone down.

My favourite banner of the day was 'Real Madrid say "Archer Out"'

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
i wasnt there unfortunatly but reading this thread brings a tear to the eye, this thread could make north stand gold yet. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here