Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne - advice needed

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
My sister's thinking of moving to Eastbourne. I haven't been there since my schooldays over 20 years ago, so couldn't really answer her when she asked me which are the best bits of town to look into.

Can anyone give me some tips and advcie to pass on, cheers!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Dont move there!!!

Serious note - think the old town is one of the nicer areas. Avoid the streets near the town centre that are full of scouse smackheads..!!

avoid langney/shinewater/willingdon trees, maybe look out for meads/old town as desired areas. town centre is half decent and half awful - avoid particularly the langney road and pevensey road areas (unless you love crack, cheap lager and being harassed) but around upperton is very nice - large victorian conversions, loads of room, nice parks around as well.
eastbourne can be a pricey place to live but is bloody lovely, especially in the summer!

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
i live in Eastbourne, the best places to live are probably Meads and Old Town

Note- Stay away from Roselands and Langney!

Albion Rob

i live in Eastbourne, the best places to live are probably Meads and Old Town

Note- Stay away from Roselands and Langney!

The bits around Firle Road, Cavendish Avenue and and Belmore Road are worth a look. Would agree about avoiding Willingdon Trees, Shinewater, Kingsmere and big parts of Hampden Park (although the bits near the park are nice).

Meads and Old Town are the nicest bit although avoid the estate around Royal Sussex Crescent.

I've lived there all my nice and it is a nice place, especially in the summer. Relatively low crime, fairly clean, nice seafront and plenty of places to eat. Not many decent pubs, though.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Old Town and Meads recommendation from here as well. Not the cheapest area to live though. Avoid Hampden Park due to the poxy level crossing making going anywhere nearly fecking impossible.

Also, Eastbourne's Tourist Board appear to be trying to lose the "Costa Geriatrica" image by hosting events like Eastbourne Extreme and building skate parks and things. If your sis has a young family then there are a lot worse places to live. If she's nearing retirement, there are a lot worse places to live.

Signed,
Eastbourne Tourist Board. ;)

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Oh, and the bit up crematorium hill on the left hand side (can't rememer the name of it, but I think it's where the number 8 goes) has some really nice houses, so presume it's not a bad place to live.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Oh, and the bit up crematorium hill on the left hand side (can't rememer the name of it, but I think it's where the number 8 goes) has some really nice houses, so presume it's not a bad place to live.

up round Mendip Avenue?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Thanks everyone – this is all good stuff!

As someone who lived in Willingdon Trees for over 20 years, can I just say that only some parts are rough and it is no longer as bad as it was but probably still worth avoiding. Langney Point, Meads, Willingdon and Old Town as mentioned are nice but pricey. We were priced out of moving back to Eastbourne and found houses much cheaper in Hailsham - only 6 or 7 miles north. Stick to North Hailsham/Hellingly/Horsebridge where we are and you get very nice houses in very nice areas cheaper by £20000 or so than the equivalent in Eastbourne. Our 3 bed semi with garage and conservatory is worth about £200000 now - probably £220000-230000 in Eastbourne now. Just avoid central and southern Hailsham like the plague - it is the same as Kingsmere/Shinewater/Whitehawk/Moss Side!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I live in the town centre and like others have said some is good some is bad. I am just down from the pier and it is not to bad, though can get a little noisy at weekends.

Meads / Old Town are the best places to live, but this is reflected in the prices. Also nice is Upperton and West Hampden Park.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Is she gonna be renting or buying and whats her situation? Just her, living with friends, family? Budget?

Married with a little boy, looking to buy - coming down from London so budget will be reasonable!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here