Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Rents

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
I think it was a grave mistake to not give Rents a short-term contract to prove his worth. Wilkins shot the poor lad's confidence to pieces. He has a great left foot, is quick and could have developed into a very useful player. I don't see what Loft has that Rents doesn't apart from a flashy haircut.

I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up at a L1 club or works his way up from L2.

What does everyone else think?

And does anyone know if he has been snapped up or any rumours about where he is heading?

Rents had several chances and didn't take them. He has looked pretty awful, even at reserve team level, for much of the past two years and doesn't seem to have developed at all.

Personally I think it was the right decision as I don't think he has it in him to play at league level. I think it was a far bigger mistake not to retain Mayo, as his performances at the end of the season proved he can still do a good job.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Wont be snapped up by a league one club I wouldn't have thought. Lower league 2 maybe. Will probably be good enough for league one in 2 or 3 seasons though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'll say this for Sam Rents - he's obviously a nice guy, as his mates are very loyal to him, always sticking up for him on here.

They're wrong though. He's not good enough. Best of luck to him elsewhere.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Richards showed what to expect from a left back at this level of football. Rent's will proberly do the county circuit.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Rents had several chances and didn't take them. He has looked pretty awful, even at reserve team level, for much of the past two years and doesn't seem to have developed at all.

Personally I think it was the right decision as I don't think he has it in him to play at league level. I think it was a far bigger mistake not to retain Mayo, as his performances at the end of the season proved he can still do a good job.

I concur

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Game of opinions innit, as Kylies Stunt Arse, I don't think I agree with a single word of that post.

I really rated Rents, and certainly above Mayo! He seemed more than comfortable getting forward, his delivery from wide left was a lovely compliment to Cox, because Rents could go on the overlap and swing it in with his left, while Cox always had has to cut back onto his right.

I'm sure last season saw a denting of his confidence because we seemed to have an endless list of alternatives at left back rather than giving Rents games. But for what my opinion is worth, he just needed to get a bit stronger to aid his defending, and that would have seen us with a cracking young left back.

I hope and expect him to work his way back up to this level over teh next few years. But a knock-back can sometimes do for a player permanently.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
even if you dont rate rents he still better than alternitives we have atm as we currently have no left backs at the club, i would of like to see him kept on to cover at least until the end of next season.

IF we sign richards or another left back and they get injured what are we going to do? as i cant see us signing TWO left backs, most likey play someone out of postion what a great idea!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
rents has his chance when richards went back - he was poor against both millwall and yeovil. whether he deserved more time to settle down is debatable

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
even if you dont rate rents he still better than alternitives we have atm as we currently have no left backs at the club, i would of like to see him kept on to cover at least until the end of next season.

IF we sign richards or another left back and they get injured what are we going to do? as i cant see us signing TWO left backs, most likey play someone out of postion what a great idea!

'Currently' is irrelevant. We don't need anyone at the moment so the fact that we have no left backs doesn't matter. It WILL matter when we start the next season. Let's see who we have then and IF we have no-one better than Rents or Mayo we can complain.

My view is that to progress in this division, neither is good enough. Kerry's best days are gone and I never saw Rents do anything to make me think he would be of a good enough standard, much as I hoped he would be.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
always rated him but the few times he's been given a chance this season he's been shocking-the way footy works is you hav to take these chances and if not you do end up at clubs like crawley...remember him being woefull up at the Den...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
a year ago I thought he was a prospect but he seems to have gone backwards ...........which happens with youngsters starting out. Could well re-group, get his career moving, and come back to haunt us in the future.

Think it was the right choice to let him go now though based on reports of his performances and if he does make it in the future all power to his elbow.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I saw ONE reserve game this season, and sadly for Rents, he was the worst player on the pitch. And this was in an Albion team that included 4 youth teamers, Doug Loft and Shane McFaul.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He did some quality free kicks and corners, just check out the free club DVD.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that he will make a left back, not big enough or strong enough, but should consider playing on the left of midfield where his crossing ability would be of greater value.

herman gelmet

Not the tosser
Jan 20, 2008
worthing
Wilkins shot the poor lad's confidence to pieces.
Did he?
In Wilkins defence. I'm not sure you can accuse a manager of that, just because he didn't think a player was good enough. Thats like saying he should weaken the team so he doesn't hurt the feelings of a professional footballer.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I saw ONE reserve game this season, and sadly for Rents, he was the worst player on the pitch. And this was in an Albion team that included 4 youth teamers, Doug Loft and Shane McFaul.

Was that the Southampton game towards the end of the season? I think by that stage he was probably completly disillusioned having been frozen out and knew he didn't have a future at the club. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here