Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aaaah - Soul!

Soul Music - what do you favour?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sorry couldn't resist that! Soul music is what I am referring to of course. With the "Summer" arriving (maybe) I have burned loads of soul CD's to MP3 so that I can listen to them on shuffle play.

This has prompted me to set up this poll to see what soul music you NSC'ers out there favour. Your favourite soul track would be good as well if you would like to share that with us. Mine are "Dark end of the street" by James Carr of the slow ones and "I want you back" by the Jackson 5 (before Michael got seriously weird) of the fast ones.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Blimey. where do you start? Off the top off my head....

Take Me Just As I Am - Lyn Collins is a great track. Undisputed Truth are well worth a listen. Was given a Best of the Chi-Lites CD which is great - try Are You My Woman (Tell Me So) - you might recognise the introduction. Can't go wrong with a bit of Sly. Get Ready - The Temptations is one of my five favourite tracks of all time......

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
Hey! Get Ready is one of the best tracks every recorded. I have finally tracked down Get Ready by Delroy Wilson on 7", one of my fav. reggae tracks, WICKERD version.
But, in the poll, Alantic/ Stax wins it for me, The Meters, Booker G, Archie Bell and the Drells- all Killah!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
As has already been said - 'where to you start'. The much underrated Sly and The Family Stone who, with Isaac Hayes and the Isleys introduced the world to soul funk; the Impressions, both pre and post Mr Mayfield; Minnie Ripperton who died so young; Stevie the Wonder's run of classic albums in the 70s (Music Of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, Fullfillingness First Finale, Songs In The Key Of Life); and the ultimate - Marvin Gaye, What's Going On.

Well I could, but I'll leave it there.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Top Northern Soul tunes
Our Love Will Grow by The Showmen
I'll Do Anything by Doris Troy
Potion of Love by The Ambers
Out On The Floor by Dobie Gray
See You At The Go-Go by Dobie Gray

Top Slow Tunes
A Lovers' Hideaway - Al Green
No Room To Cry - Dobie Gray
Anyone Who Knows What Love Is - Irma Thomas
Walk On By - Isaac Hayes
I Don't Blame You At All - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
Just My Imagination - The Temptations

Dancing Tunes
I Just Can't Stop Dancing - Archie Bell & The Drells
Tighten Up - Archie Bell & The Drells
Helpless - Kim Weston

Top Singing Tunes for the shower
Walk Away Renee - Four Tops
Until You Come Back to Me - Aretha Franklin
Summer Breeze - The Isley Brothers

Then, of course, there's soul's magnum opus - Marvin Gaye's What's Going On. It's the sort of record that should be put on the NHS.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Wonderful. I thought I was the only soul head on here.

My all time favourite is Bobby Womack. I got to see him live the day after I was in Cardiff watching our play off final win. What a weekend. His LP The Poet (sometimes known as 'The Poet 1" - not Poet 2) is utterly brilliant and side 2 has been known to reduce me to tears.

I voted "all" becasue although I love Motown/Stax and Northern I am RREALLY into al things Philly at the moment - anything created or influenced by Gamble, Huff and Thom Bell. You can add Salsoul into that becasue the guys who played on those records all moved over from PIR after Kenny & Leon wouldn't pay them (see "A House on Fire" by John A Jackson - brilliant read).

I also like Disco and Boogie from the 70s and 80s and anything with the credit "a Tom Moulton mix" is worth checking out. Ive got a CD of called 'Philadelphia Classics" all 12" stretched versions he did of classics by the O Jays, Teddy P, the Intruders, MFSB etc. Absolute ecstacy. When I am not on NSC (or even sometimes when I am) I'm tuned in to the Internet Radio of Starpoint or Solar

Finally, just to show I am completely and unashamedly naff, I think Barry White was a bleedin' genius! You still can't get many of his original albums on CD - only bloomin compilations of the same old stuff but you can pick up some real funky gems he did or produced on obscure compilations - "Strange Funky Games and Things" & "Midnight and you" being 2 good examples.

I could go on and on about all this and may do if I don't exercise a bit of self restraint so......

Screaming J
(Our man outside the Lacy Lady Nightclub in a Ford Capri with a pair of slip on loafers, white socks and a Maze tape in the car stereo)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wonderful. I thought I was the only soul head on here.

My all time favourite is Bobby Womack. I got to see him live the day after I was in Cardiff watching our play off final win. What a weekend. His LP The Poet (sometimes known as 'The Poet 1" - not Poet 2) is utterly brilliant and side 2 has been known to reduce me to tears.

'Across 110th Street'

Damn hot soul... :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A good reason to bounce it would be that on BBC 4 on Friday from nine there is an evening of soul starting with an Otis redding bio, then an Otis redding and friends concert, then a collection of soul at the BBC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here