Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
So the way I understand it is this.

1. His only experience of management is on FM08
  2. The entire team has left or is leaving
  3. He wants to recruit cheap local players and still stay up
  4. There is no money to get the ground up to the needed standard so they are going to have a few "events" to raise it

No wonder they are not happy

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If they go into the Conference in that state it will take a minor miracle for them to stay up at the end of the season, pity really as things were looking really promising up until a couple of weeks ago.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
So the way I understand it is this.

1. His only experience of management is on FM08
  2. The entire team has left or is leaving
  3. He wants to recruit cheap local players and still stay up
  4. There is no money to get the ground up to the needed standard so they are going to have a few "events" to raise it

No wonder they are not happy

I have a very limited knowledge of the whole situation but I really don't undertand how anyone can deel Lewes will be in a better position now than they would have been under the previous manager I do not know!

As far as i'm concerned Lewes fans are well within their rights to be very pissed off at the situation!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I have a very limited knowledge of the whole situation but I really don't undertand how anyone can deel Lewes will be in a better position now than they would have been under the previous manager I do not know!

As far as i'm concerned Lewes fans are well within their rights to be very pissed off at the situation!

The main problem is that there is not that many true "Lewes" fans. I would imagine that for the first few games they will have increased crowds, but once they start losing games badly these fair weather fans will bugger off.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The main problem is that there is not that many true "Lewes" fans. I would imagine that for the first few games they will have increased crowds, but once they start losing games badly these fair weather fans will bugger off.

Will the same be true for us unless we have a strong team to start at Falmer

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Difficult to define what a true Lewes fan is, they have climbed from County League to Conference in 10 years, I am guessing that there are very few watching now who can honestly claim that they have supported them throughout the whole time. There will of course be many who have been attracted in the last couple of years or so as the level of football improved and they continued to climb the leagues. The key to maintaining success is to build your fanbase as you rise, then hope to keep as many as possible during thin times, no different for the Albion than the likes of Lewes, Borough or Burgess Hill Town.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reading this thread makes the spending of money to improve the ground a complete waste for 1 season. Would be better off seeking permission to ground share 'while ground is being upgraded' then once they have been given permission put it on the back burner until Christmas.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
But what were Lewes supposed to do ??

They need 100's of £1000's to upgrade their ground, they then need to recruit players that demand anything from £500 - £1000 a week to compete at that level whilst 500-800 paying customers come through their new £15,000 turnstiles.

Numbers cannot add up, never.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I like Kevin and wish him well but the signs are not good right now. Not that anyone was going to have an easy time replacing Steve King whose status has rapidly risen from Special One to positively Sainted One ever since news of his departure broke. There are sound commercial reasons why the club couldn't sustain the sort of spending that finally got them promoted to the Conference but it's not going to be easy getting that message across. Especially when all this upheaval doesn't seem to include any new investment or the appointment of a manager with recent relevant experience of doing the job. So while I genuinely do wish Kevin well, I can't help but think Bob Booker would have been a far better choice.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm all for a bit of optimism, but how about THIS for positively deslusional on there !

"im upbeat because i know that this will all pull together in time. there will be decent players and im sure they will be added to as the season progresses.
its just that mistakes are still being made. the dressing room is a dressing room....so basic.
kk is in no position to promise the things the fans want to hear. its too early and frankly he needs all the help he can get.
i think some people will have been pleased that kk is approachable and not some aloof big name....and im certain he will be trying his hardest to succeed. there are at least three youngsters at the club, everyone forgets how good they were, who would never have got a look in before.........they will now. every kid in lewes will be well chuffed.
im upbeat because all the indications point to the survival of the club and given time, the best stadium in sussex. "

Gotta love that last bit...

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I'm all for a bit of optimism, but how about THIS for positively deslusional on there !

im upbeat because all the indications point to the survival of the club and given time, the best stadium in sussex. "

Gotta love that last bit...

When did they apply for a ground share with us at Falmer?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
There are sound commercial reasons why the club couldn't sustain the sort of spending that finally got them promoted to the Conference but it's not going to be easy getting that message across.

The Express interview with the directors seems to indicate that they knew a while back that they could barely sustain their level of spending at Conference South level, yet they kept throwing money around knowing that they wouldn't be able to keep it up at Conference level. They could have settled for being a mid to lower table Conference South side but instead they've chosen to spend the money, get promoted and end up playing at a level that they won't be able to compete at. Then they blame Steve King for it all and say they didn't want to go up in the first place. Seems a bit bizarre to me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When did they apply for a ground share with us at Falmer?

That is the logical solution first to share at Withdean and then Falmer. I know there would be problems getting permission to share at Withdean but I feel sure the problems would be less than they will encounter in upgrading the Dripping Pan. I think that even the residents of Withdean will not complain too heavily about them sharing with us for a short while as their gates will probably only be in the region of 800 to 1000 maximum.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
There was a theory:bla: on there last week along the lines of: That DK doesn't like the idea that Lewes are in the BSP now with Crawley,hence could possibly attract supporters away from Withdean, so has set it up for his brother-in-law Keehan to go in as manager, make a right royal f**k of it, do irrepairable damage to the team/club, so that Lewes drop back through the divisions.
And we think we get some looney tune theories on here!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here