Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-Abd is urged to sign Albion deal

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
Elabd Is Urged To Sign Albion Deal (from The Argus)</title>

Albion assistant Dean White has urged unsettled utility player Adam El-Abd to stay.

El-Abd, left, has yet to sign a new two-year contract, offered to him last month.

The versatile powerhouse is meeting his agent this week to discuss his future.

White said: "We would like Adam to stay, without a doubt. He wears his heart on his sleeve and I am sure the club will do everything they can to resolve the situation.

"He's been a big part of our season. He is a real Brighton player and fan through and through.

"They are good people to have around."

El-Abd has established himself as a first team regular since Dean Wilkins took charge.

He missed only four League matches last season and the 23-year-old, currently sidelined by knee ligament damage, has made 43 appearances in all competitions this season in a variety of positions.

White said: "You can shift him around, which is sometimes to the detriment of Adam himself really. We ask him to do so many things.

"He does a job for us whereever he plays and he has been invaluable for that reason.

"You can go away from home sometimes and, if you want to stiffen things up, stick him in the middle of midfield.

"He can play right-back, left-back, centre-half, he will play anywhere for you, he's that type of lad. He's a real model professional."

Former Aldershot striker Jonny Dixon, substituted on his full debut in the second half at Luton on Saturday, is back in the reserves at Southampton tonight.

Albion Reserves (from): Sullivan; Winterton, Rents, Beda, Pearson, McFaul, Reid, Loft, Fraser, Dixon, Gatting, Martot, Wills, Foreman, French, Bryant.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why is he unsettled and what is the problem then? Is it all the agent's fault again?

Bertin, Hammond, O'Callaghan...now it seems El Abd as well...do all Albion players have shite agents who need to be shown the door by the Albion????

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
Why is he unsettled and what is the problem then? Is it all the agent's fault again?

Bertin, Hammond, O'Callaghan...now it seems El Abd as well...do all Albion players have shite agents who need to be shown the door by the Albion????

It does make you wonder. I dont like what agents are doing to the game i must say. I always thought el-abd was Brighton through and through and he has had i good run in the side this year and performed well. I cant see why he would be unsettled unless the agents are painting a picture of the grass being greener away from the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps he just would like a little more money than is currently being offered. Just because a player doesn't sign the first contract offered to them doesn't necessarily mean that he is 'unsettled' or that his agent is beelzebub.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is his agents job to hold out for as much money as he can get the player but the problem appears to be they dont seem to know when they have reached the upper limit that DK will offer.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Have you ever known an agent to be anything less than a total cuntchops, from football player agents to letting agents to recruitment agents to agent orange?

Who says he's unsettled? I thought he said he likes it at Brighton and would worry about his new contract at the end of the season.

He's right to talk to his agent and consider other possibilities but that doesn't necessarily make him unsettled.

Maybe the Argus embellishing the story a little - again?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The lad's ambitious has started to get good reviews; has been abused by Albion "fans" in the past; plays at the worst stadium in the football league.

How dare he look to see if there is anything better :shrug:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. From where I'm sitting our prospects for promotion contention in 08/09 look good.

2. He has got to be on the shortlist of potential Albion captain when Forster steps down and, by extension, potentially the man to lead the Albion out at Falmer.

3. Until last season he was very much a reserve team player in a lower half of the table side.

4. Bournemouth are in the shit, so if that's one less South Coast option should things go tits up.

5. Recent history shows that Dick Knight rarely fucks up contract negotiations and many who have left regret it.

There is no reason why a reasonable deal can't be struck. He IS expendable, but I don't want to see him go.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think El Abd has been one of our better players this year and really hope he signs. Reading the article, I don't see where it says he is unsettled except in the headline. The Argus stirring again?

The only worry is that he may want to become a regular centre half rather than a utility player and, if Elphick and Lynch stay and play well, he is probably back up. Hope that does not make him want to leave as he has been really good this year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Despite him calling everyone in the South Stand a wanker, he's a decent enough utlility player. Wouldn't want to see him leave.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's one of those where he is probably better than some of the younger players, but they are likely to be better than him in a year or two.

Added to that he gets the utility player role and you can see why there's scope for discontent, but then that's why you have a manager. Wilkins needs to read the "Ferguson on Phil Neville" manual.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
From what I've heard, the issue is more positional. I believe that he sees himself as a centre half and does not want to be pigeon holed as a utility player - which is understandable. It's not dissimilar to the Gary Hart situation. It's tough for the lad who has done great but has to compete with Lynch and Elphick for two berths. I'm sure it will get sorted out as he seems to love the club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The lad's ambitious has started to get good reviews; has been abused by Albion "fans" in the past; plays at the worst stadium in the football league.

How dare he look to see if there is anything better :shrug:

He is a 4th rate player; the Albion are better than him... he abused the fans... bye bye El-Abd...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
From what I've heard, the issue is more positional. I believe that he sees himself as a centre half and does not want to be pigeon holed as a utility player - which is understandable.

No its not.
He is part of a fairly small squad, and as part of that squad he has to be prepared to be flexible enough to fit into the team wherever Wilkins deploys him. He should consider himself fortunate that Wilkins considers him such an asset to the team to continue picking him. IF he's getting uppity and not signing the contract because he wants to dislodge Elphick or Lynch at CB, then he is a twat, and he can f*** off.

I'm sure that can't be the case though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here