Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange Bloke on Roundabout

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
There's a bloke who stands at Maresfield McDonalds roundabout every morning when I drive past at c7.30am. Would love to know what he is doing.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Good bounce! I remember him as Burlington Bertie as well, used to see him when we were down visiting my Nan in Worthing. I was very young at the time and recall being quite scared of him, from reading this thread it seems that I had no reason to be concerned.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
My Dad used to call him The Duke Of Shoreham, and we always used to wave at him.

Local legend :bowdown:

Another one, in Brighton this time, was Desmond. Tall black fellow, always off his head on alcohol - a gentle giant, and a regular around the Clock Tower area. He used to amble into Virgin Records quite regularly, and mumble to people with headphones on, sitting on the beanbags. RIP Desmond, and 'Horace'. :angel: :angel:

I forgot about this poster. Is he back under a new name?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I used to work the Bar at the Bridge pub in Shoreham and he used to do his roundabout stint then come in for a few halves of bitter, always very well spoken and definitely answered to the name of Horace even if it was not his true name. Overtly eccentric but harmless enough, always saluting drivers who gave him the beep, though wasn't so polite to those who jeered him. Remember talk at the time that he used to be a bit of a boxer, maybe just rumours. He also used to ride a vintage motor cycle at times as well as his pedal cycle.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
In the late 80s and early 90s there was a guy who was basically angry at everything, if you walked towards him he would shout at you and wave a platic bag at you, he was scruffy unkempt, wore a grey Mac whatever the weather and mainly walked along the seafront from the pier to the old dodgems at Peter pans .

A easy target for winding up and as I worked in the Concorde for a while saw him on a daily basis,struggling to fend off normality as we know it with a vengeance.

It was hard to strike up a conversation with him but later found out apparently he was suffering with PTSD and had been in the Falklands serving our country, which in those days upon return no doubt the country decided to forget about him .

I'm sure those of a certain age know who I'm talking about , I stopped seeing him around 1992 and have no idea what happened to him but in his own way he certainly was a character to remember .

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
There was an old bloke in the 90s who would walk along the double yellows on the road and wave at the bus drivers who would always wave back. Always had a smile on his face and often whistling. Forgot about him until I saw this. Cheerful chappie.

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
There's a bloke who stands at Maresfield McDonalds roundabout every morning when I drive past at c7.30am. Would love to know what he is doing.

I’ve always wondered why he stands there.
Has he been dropped off or waiting for pick up?
Not as if its a great place to stop and pick him up.
May have to time our journeys slightly later.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
There was an old bloke in the 90s who would walk along the double yellows on the road and wave at the bus drivers who would always wave back. Always had a smile on his face and often whistling. Forgot about him until I saw this. Cheerful chappie.

I remember him well, he had short grey hair and a strong jaw. He lived near me in Brunswick Square in the late 80's. Always said hello to me ( and every bus driver).
There was the "Have You Got 10p?" man, who would swiftly reduce the amount to a penny and operated around the Clock Tower and Dukes Street. I walked past them every day on my way to work.
I miss these characters.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
In the late 80s and early 90s there was a guy who was basically angry at everything, if you walked towards him he would shout at you and wave a platic bag at you, he was scruffy unkempt, wore a grey Mac whatever the weather and mainly walked along the seafront from the pier to the old dodgems at Peter pans .

A easy target for winding up and as I worked in the Concorde for a while saw him on a daily basis,struggling to fend off normality as we know it with a vengeance.

It was hard to strike up a conversation with him but later found out apparently he was suffering with PTSD and had been in the Falklands serving our country, which in those days upon return no doubt the country decided to forget about him .

I'm sure those of a certain age know who I'm talking about , I stopped seeing him around 1992 and have no idea what happened to him but in his own way he certainly was a character to remember .
Sounds like Ted Arnold

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I think this article is from 1966 or around then as it mentions he is 43 and Ive read he was born in 1923. The article also mentions mods and rockers which also fits around that time...

Horace Duke2.png
20231120_144306.png
20231120_144332.png
20231120_144413.png
20231120_144537.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here