Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF Giant Flag

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Some of our fans are currently trying to organize a giant flag for our forthcoming trip to Wembley.

Am I right in saying that you had a few problems with your flag with regards to getting permission to take it into certain grounds?

Were you able to take it to the Millennium Stadium (I'm sure I remember it being there)?

Did it need some sort of safety certificate, or did I dream it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Some of our fans are currently trying to organize a giant flag for our forthcoming trip to Wembley.

Am I right in saying that you had a few problems with your flag with regards to getting permission to take it into certain grounds?

Were you able to take it to the Millennium Stadium (I'm sure I remember it being there)?

Did it need some sort of safety certificate, or did I dream it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't think you did dream that, I would assume it would need some sort of fire safety certificate. Sadly our flag is no more, and that is the other thing you need to be aware of, storage and transport are a big problem for the larger flags!!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
I don't think you did dream that, I would assume it would need some sort of fire safety certificate. Sadly our flag is no more, and that is the other thing you need to be aware of, storage and transport are a big problem for the larger flags!!

I've already warned the guys who are trying to get one organized about the problems you had with regard to storage and transport, but they don't seem bothered.

I have a suspicion they will be refused permission to take it to Wembley, but they've already started collecting for it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
wembley wont let you hang it as there isnt anywhere! top tier there isnt much gap between the boxes and it will obstruct the view!

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
does anyone have any quality photos of the old flag?

:thumbsup:
flagatswindoncb9.jpg

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
wembley wont let you hang it as there isnt anywhere! top tier there isnt much gap between the boxes and it will obstruct the view!

We didn't hang our flag up at cardiff, i seem to remember through my random alcohol drinks goggles that it was passed around the bottom tier for a while.

We approached the safety officer at the Millennium Stadium and got permission to take it in and have it moved across the heads of Albion supporters in the lower tier. My recollection is that we were only allowed to do this before kick-off and arrangements had to be confirmed in advance about where and when it was to enter the stadium, how it was to be kept during the game and how it was to be removed at the end.

In reality, it was all a bit of a nightmare - especially post match, when nobody seemed very inclined to help carry the thing back to the coach on which it had travelled.

It did have a fire safety certificate that was obtained at the time it was made.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
REMF Tribute 11th September 2002
The flag being passed through the South Stand and placed on the Withdean pitch for the one minute silence before the Exeter City game to mark the first anniversary of 9/11 and the death of Albion supporter Robert Eaton RIP

n505017762_391517_8241.jpg

n505017762_391518_8586.jpg

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
A few grounds didn't let us take the flag in, not that many. Some allowed us to place it over empty seats at the away end (like Sunderland), others allowed us to pass it over our heads. The Millennium stadium were fine about it in the end, although it went around upside down!
d30_05_2004-31709.jpg

I seem to remember that if there were any reservations or objections from the various groundsmen around the different stadiums then a presentation of the fabled fire safety certificate allayed all their fears and they let the flag in.

fireproofcertsmall677.gif

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
On a side note, walking out on the pitch at the Bournemouth centenary game leading the flag procession and experiencing a standing ovation from all the Albion fans, then holding the flag during the minutes silence for Robert Eaton was a moment I will never forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here