Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the legal requirement for Steward to Fans Ratio?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
It is my turn to RANT about stewards and how useless they really are!!!

What is the point of them?? Why do the club employ them/so many? Surely the club can save money by employing 1 or 2 stewards per block instead of 7 or 8.

There was ponchogate for starters, but that was only for the away end. But whilst that was going on, there were 7 or 8 stewards in their nice array of coloured dayglow jackets all standing on the running track having a good old chinwag and cups of tea at the foot of H and J Blocks - surely a WASTE of money employing them!!

Then you get the same 2 miserable "crowd dynamics engineer officer technicians" (because they don’t want to be called stewards) in orange jackets telling people to sit down at the first hint of any atmoshpere being generated. This whilst the other 6 or seven stewards continue their chat about whos going to win dancing on ice later on, ocassionally pointing at people standing up to put their jackets on, and signalling to their mates to have a word with them for standing during a game.

There is one steward that winds me up more than any, he thinks he is billy big time, and threatened to throw me out for getting angry at the "Wilkins out" brigade during the Cheltenham game. But I think his greatest achievement ever was during the Gillingham game, when a couple of fans refused to sit down and he said "I don’t care if your ****in disabled with no arms or legs, Im going to make you sit down"
I asked him why he used that phrase as an example, and he said it was because he has to get to the game a whole TWO hours before kick off, in which time he is not allowed to smoke, so he gets more angry - What a :tosser:

RANT over, how great were the team on Saturday, and I cannot wait for t'Huddersfield game.

Bring it on!!!!!

Dandyman

In London village.
Personaly, I was OUTRAGED that not only did the frightful oiks forget my hamper once again but they also forgot my half-time Pimms and roast badger sarnies, too.

Any more of this DISGRACEFUL attitude on their behalf and I will be forced to tumble down their cottages and have them evicted from the estate.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you don't have stewards though, you'd have to have police instead.

Which is a lot more expensive...

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
If you don't have stewards though, you'd have to have police instead.

Which is a lot more expensive...

which is fair enough , but the original point still stands - is there REALLY that much need for so many EVERYWHERE

one or two per block would suffice with a few down by the running tracks and a handful outside after the game is about right? the amount of games i've easily seen the amount of stewards outnumber the amount of fans is soul destroying/frightening/unneeded

Jan 30, 2008
which is fair enough , but the original point still stands - is there REALLY that much need for so many EVERYWHERE

one or two per block would suffice with a few down by the running tracks and a handful outside after the game is about right? the amount of games i've easily seen the amount of stewards outnumber the amount of fans is soul destroying/frightening/unneeded
no, ive seen them standing there and what a pathetic sight it is, a right bunch of misfits

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you minimise the policing at games- which is the case at most Albion fixtures- then you have to have x number of stewards in proportion to the crowd instead. The other problem the Albion have is due to the unique layout of Withdean, and the fact that at least half of the South Stand crowd leave via the front of the stand, many of whom start to make their way down before the end of the game.

When you have hundreds of people standing on the running track watching the last few minutes, right next to the pitch and more importantly players and officials, then there has to be a large number of stewards in case anyone decides to try and get on the pitch or at people involved in the game.

I know it hasn't happened yet, but I guess it's a legal requirement "just in case".

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
The minimium requirement is one steward for 'fixed posts' - exit gates, control room, emergency positions etc - plus 1 per 250 spectators. Works out between 75-80 per match. Generally there are between 90 - 100 on duty at any match.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
It is my turn to RANT about stewards and how useless they really are!!!

What is the point of them?? Why do the club employ them/so many? Surely the club can save money by employing 1 or 2 stewards per block instead of 7 or 8.

Have to employ them by law or games can't go ahead and there is an average of 1.5 sstewards per block

There was ponchogate for starters, but that was only for the away end.

Club decision not the stewards

But whilst that was going on, there were 7 or 8 stewards in their nice array of coloured dayglow jackets all standing on the running track having a good old chinwag and cups of tea

Water in tea cups as out of bottled water

at the foot of H and J Blocks - surely a WASTE of money employing them!!

Different types of stewards most who aren't there most of the time

Then you get the same 2 miserable "crowd dynamics engineer officer technicians" (because they don’t want to be called stewards) in orange jackets telling people to sit down at the first hint of any atmoshpere being generated.

So you can't generate atmosphere sitting down so how did the rest of the stand manage it Saturday?

This whilst the other 6 or seven stewards continue their chat about whos going to win dancing on ice later on, ocassionally pointing at people standing up to put their jackets on, and signalling to their mates to have a word with them for standing during a game.

Following orders from the chief safety officer

There is one steward that winds me up more than any, he thinks he is billy big time, and threatened to throw me out for getting angry at the "Wilkins out" brigade during the Cheltenham game. But I think his greatest achievement ever was during the Gillingham game, when a couple of fans refused to sit down and he said "I don’t care if your fuckin disabled with no arms or legs, Im going to make you sit down"
I asked him why he used that phrase as an example, and he said it was because he has to get to the game a whole TWO hours before kick off, in which time he is not allowed to smoke, so he gets more angry - What a :tosser:

Which block and what does he look like?

RANT over, how great were the team on Saturday, and I cannot wait for t'Huddersfield game.

Bring it on!!!!!

And too right Hopefully win by two clear to go fifth:thumbsup:

There have to be enough to HERD the general public, you know - those of you poor faceless types with no authority or uniforms.
Then, after we have stormtrooped all over the masses, making people SIT and NOT SMOKE - we intend to INVADE POLAND.

woops....cat's out of the bag :blush:

Personaly, I was OUTRAGED that not only did the frightful oiks forget my hamper once again but they also forgot my half-time Pimms and roast badger sarnies, too.

Any more of this DISGRACEFUL attitude on their behalf and I will be forced to tumble down their cottages and have them evicted from the estate.

Sorry, the badger had been lying roadside a bit too long even for the Withdean caterers to prepare. :lolol:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
And I believe there is a hierarchy.

Aspiring students, or SPSOs can apply to start off as a mute part time traffic warden in Tongdean Lane. Work hard, keep your mouth shut and your could get promotion to trainee Nazi at the entrance to the footpath from Preston Park Station.

Although this is only a part time job and you are free to f*** off back to your homework after 3pm, there are opportunities for advancement in this post.
If you manage to send a few dozen people all the way out of their way down to London Road, without laughing as they go, you could get yourself a full time job inside the Stadium.

The pecking order in the Stadium is much more complex, but then you have the chance to get your high viz arse on TV and upset more people as you move up the slippery slope to the pinnacle of every steward's ambition:
Head Nazi Supervisor, Singing Section.

I'd wish you good luck, but whoever is reading this to you will have got bored of my rant by now.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I'm sure I read somewhere it was 1 steward for every 35 fans......

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
There is one steward that winds me up more than any, he thinks he is billy big time, and threatened to throw me out for getting angry at the "Wilkins out" brigade during the Cheltenham game. But I think his greatest achievement ever was during the Gillingham game, when a couple of fans refused to sit down and he said "I don’t care if your fuckin disabled with no arms or legs, Im going to make you sit down"

QUOTE]

Is that the fella who always comes up on the left side of J block? If its the same bloke im thinking of he is a complete tosser.

At the Leyton Orient game he was standing right in front of a bloke in his late 50s early 60s who politely asked the steward to step out of the way so he could see the game, the steward threatened to have him kicked out for "disrupting stewarding within the ground". Total and utter wanker who will say that to the wrong bloke and get a decent right hook one day.

Always seem to take a really aggresive tone with anyone who dare say anthing.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Is that the fella who always comes up on the left side of J block? If its the same bloke im thinking of he is a complete tosser.

At the Leyton Orient game he was standing right in front of a bloke in his late 50s early 60s who politely asked the steward to step out of the way so he could see the game, the steward threatened to have him kicked out for "disrupting stewarding within the ground". Total and utter wanker who will say that to the wrong bloke and get a decent right hook one day.

Always seem to take a really aggresive tone with anyone who dare say anthing.

Yep i know the one your talking about On saturday he told me to sit down, i told him i couldnt because all of the 20 rows infront of me were standing, and he just told me to 'f***ing sit down'. Absolute KNOB HEAD, Complete f***ing jobsworth

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Yep i know the one your talking about On saturday he told me to sit down, i told him i couldnt because all of the 20 rows infront of me were standing, and he just told me to 'f***ing sit down'. Absolute KNOB HEAD, Complete f***ing jobsworth

Don't you think we are just doing a job? If you lot in H & J obeyed the ground regulations stewards wouldn't have to go into the stands at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here