Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Football Code

What's your favourite non-football football?

• American

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Aussie Rules

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Canadian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gaelic

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Rugby League

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Apart from association kickball, what is your FAVOURITE alternative football code?

The choices are:

American
Aussie Rules
Canadian
Gaelic
Rugby League
Rugby Union

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For me it's a toss up between Union and Aussie Rules. I used think Aussie rules was pants until I saw it over there and my view changed completely although they definitely shouldn't wear those gay looking sleeveless tops.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Ooooh thats a toughie. Apart from Rugby League, i love them all.

Probably just American, closely followed by Union and Gaelic. Although Canadian is in many ways a slightly improved (and odd) version of American.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ooooh thats a toughie. Apart from Rugby League, i love them all.

Probably just American, closely followed by Union and Gaelic. Although Canadian is in many ways a slightly improved (and odd) version of American.

I like them all, including rugby league. How anyone can dislike league but not American football is beyond me, the principles are almost the same!

Personally I find Canadian the least appealing. For those that don't know, in Canada the end zones are twice is big and you only get 3 downs. Which for me makes it the equivalent of widening the goals in SOCCER in a feeble attempt to make it more exciting and calling it a different game.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Rugby Union, without a doubt (but only because I am in my University Rugby Union squad!).

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I like them all, including rugby league. How anyone can dislike league but not American football is beyond me, the principles are almost the same!

Personally I find Canadian the least appealing. For those that don't know, in Canada the end zones are twice is big and you only get 3 downs. Which for me makes it the equivalent of widening the goals in SOCCER in a feeble attempt to make it more exciting and calling it a different game.

Haha, slow down there fella, never said I disliked Rugby League, just don't have an active interest in it. In fact I played a bit of it at uni. I can see the similarities with American football in the down/tackle system, but I just prefer American football or full on Union, whereas league seems a bit like rugby but with a few American Football ideas integrated in. But I do still quite like it.

As for the CFL, I agree its maybe less of a purists game, but you're guaranteed fun. The wider pitch, extra player (who is a WR/DB) and less down mean its more of an open, passing game, which can be fun to watch! I also quite like the point for missed field goal as a novelty, as it means a good drive doesn't go unrewarded.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
At international level I enjoy Rugby Union more than the rest but I would prefer to watch an NFL game than club Rugby Union.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Union. The rest ... pah (although I may get into league a bit more when I move up to Leeds next month?).

At present I'd personally put union above football, just coz I'm watching a lot more rugby (Albion BADFAN: Bath not quite SUPERFAN this year)

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Aussie Rules: Crap shirts
American: Sport lite
Canadian: Not qualified to comment
Gaelic: Madness, very watchable
League: Good game, only in 3 counties though
Union: Genius, love it
Table: Marvellous scenes in late teens
Blow: Need goggles
Harrow: Jolly good show

Paying the bills