Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Just watched the last half hour. My opinion remains the same.

I sit back and await US saying I only have that opinion to spite him. Which would be odd as I rather like the chap and suggest I may not know my own opinion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Charlie Wilsons War

Superbly entertaining fact-based drama on womanising congressman Charlie Wilson (Hanks) and his wheeler-dealing during the 80's to fund a covert war against the Soviet Union by aiding and arming the Mujahideen resistance following the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Sharply scripted and briskly paced, the 95 minutes flies by, but good as Hanks is, he is completely overshadowed by the performance of the often underrated Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who plays maverick CIA operative Gust Avrakotos. Hoffman is a brash, wise-cracking, street-talking powerhouse in a performance that (if theres any justice) has OSCAR stamped all over it. The film is worth watching for him alone. Great stuff.

30 Days of Night

Fairly satisfying splatterfest set in an Alaskan town that every year is plunged into 30 days of darkness. This year, the residents get a visit from a band of blood-crazed vampire-type creatures who chomp their way through the town. Decent enough performance by Josh Hartnett who plays the towns sheriff, but the storyline is paper-thin. There's no background to the creatures whatsoever, no explanation of where they come from even though they have their own language and hierarchy in their own little group. But it builds some decent tension, and some of the scenes are truley horrific. Does what it says on the tin.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I saw Jumper last Saturday. Didn't want to but my Brother was very keen. It was not completely shit. 1.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Juno.

Not particularly funny but I had been warned. Lead character was particularly annoying and unlikable which took away from the heart of the story. Also found it dubious that at no point did anyone suggest she might want to keep the baby or indeed did she even seem to have doubts over giving it up. Coupled with some character cliches and contrived dialogue I would say this is probably one of the most overrated films I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
30 Days of Night

Fairly satisfying splatterfest set in an Alaskan town that every year is plunged into 30 days of darkness. This year, the residents get a visit from a band of blood-crazed vampire-type creatures who chomp their way through the town. Decent enough performance by Josh Hartnett who plays the towns sheriff, but the storyline is paper-thin. There's no background to the creatures whatsoever, no explanation of where they come from even though they have their own language and hierarchy in their own little group. But it builds some decent tension, and some of the scenes are truley horrific. Does what it says on the tin.

They really should of stayed in the loft

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Any more plot points you wanna give away? Gaylords.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Off to see There Will Be Blood Tonight. Looking forward to it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just about to watch Wild Hogs which I enjoyed watching on a plane

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Bought the DVD of Funny Games recently. Michael Haneke directing. Before the remake starring Tim Roth hits our screens, I urge you to see the original.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I really liked Juno. thought she was engaging and the whole thing was very warm and fuzzy and made me feel nice on the inside.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here