Page 1 of 75 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Film 2008

Film 2008

0 Not allowed!
    The Uncle Spielberg's Film Club is being replaced with Film 2008. Place all your film / dvd reviews on here for consideration and debate.

I saw a mental film last night, just out on DVD, Wrong Turn 2 - Dead End. I thought Wrong Turn was a decent enough little horror , a good addition to the genre so was looking forward to Wrong Turn 2. It did not dissapoint let me tell you. For a straight to DVD release it was one of the best I have seen.

The premise was of course 6 twenty somethings in the Woods for an American survival reality show which became very real indeed. The mutants were very well done . bit like a day out in Croydon and the slayings were highly entertaining. All in all a little gem really.

Anything decent at the cinema now, plan to go tomorrow.
    Spielberg is GOD.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Saw a weird Robin Williams film last night - he played a gay New York dj who went to Wisconsin to visit a blind woman and her dying son, both of whom were regular callers to his radio show, only the woman wasn't only pretending to be blind (and very scary she was too) and the son didn't exist, she'd made him up. Sounds crap but was actually a total head fug of a film, or "Very Schpooky" as Sean Connery might have said.

0 Not allowed!
      4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days is getting good reviews. I've yet to see Control. No Country For Old Men looks good.

0 Not allowed!
      Plumped for Enchanted in the end. Went to the multiplex at 3pm and after a 6 weeks run I was expecting the cinema to be quite empty , it was packed. word of mouth has got out about this one.

It was simply a wonderous and joyous 105 minutes entertainment, made me realise why I love a trip to the cinema so much rather than watching something on your own on a 30 inch tv set, its the collective and sharing joy of watching such a great family film.

Amy Adams give a bravora performance a real tour de force as Giselle the princess transported from fluffy cartoon land to harsh today New York to find her Prince. Nominated for a Golden Globe she should see an Oscar nomination follow. Others follow from cartoon land with a great turn from the Prince and the Chipmunk and Timothy Spall.

It had 2 stand out scenes amoungst a plethora of fun, the animals cleaning the flat and the song and dance routine in Central Park.

Everyone from 8 to 80 should love this film and it will become a future classic thats a guarantee.

Seen any recently ?.
      Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      I have a preview ticket for No Country For Old Men tonight. Not been excited by a COen Brothers release for a good few years, but i am rather thrilled about heading to an Odeon to see this one.

Saturday was a great day for films. An early showing for a Beau Bridges brain-damage drama alongside the elderly, charmless Pam Dawber (whose relationship with Mork has obviously ended). His memory returned after time, his wife before the accident arriving at the same time. Dawber's heart was broken, but justice was maybe done.

In the evening there was a showing of Fantastic Voyage. What a beauty of a film. The briefest of religious debates betwixt paranoid scientists shrunken into the tubes and decaying lumps of the human body in order for them to laserbeam the fatty cork that hinders thought in one cranial avenue of a man they need alive and mentally active.

An hour later was Fateless. A Hungary/German sepia-centred tale of concentration camps until the Americans save the day. It simply follows the seemingly quiet, curly-haired boy who is tortured by the Nazis in various camps, all his inmates forced to stand still from dusk until dawn as punishment for one unnamed gentleman stealing rations from the unguarded kitchen one evening. It was an unpleasant tale, obviously, but quite prettily changed in colour at times, seasonally and acidically.
      Milk, milk, lemonade
      Round the corner chocolate's made

0 Not allowed!
      World Trade Center

Oliver Stones true portrayal of two port authority cops buried in the rubble following the collapse of the WTC. The first half an hour of the film is the most transfixing, as a normal day dawns in New York, only to be shattered by the terrorist attack. Nicolas Cage slips comfortably into his normal "everyman" persona and gives an understated and (as a result) convincing performance as John McLaughlin, the sergeant in charge of a handful of cops who enter one of the Towers shortly before it collapses.

The rest of the film flits between the anguished families of the cops and the cops themselves as they lay trapped in the rubble, facing up to the fact they may never see their loved ones again. Touching but without getting overly schmaltzy, it did perhaps go on for half an hour too long. But its a well made film that left me pondering on what must have been the unbearable torture of those families who, in the absence of any other information about their loved ones, were left glued to CNN and the news broadcasts as their only source. As the evening of September 11th drew in with no news, you could feel the hope ebbing away from them.

One fact I didn't realise before I saw that film - only 20 people were pulled from Ground Zero alive (these two cops being numbers 18 and 19).
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

0 Not allowed!
      Easy, I rated World Trade Centre. It got a mixed bag reviews but Stone was very restrained and it concentrated on the good in people that the terrible day brought out and not the ******* terrorists and why they did it. It was a responsible and worthy piece of work as was United 93. Both well made and worthy films about the one of the most terrible days in the notebook of Mankind.

Spielberg is GOD.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spielberg View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Giselle the princess transported from fluffy cartoon land to harsh today New York to find her Prince.
      No she wasn't! She was pushed down a wishing well by her evil mother-in-law-to-be. She certainly didn't jump in order to find her knight in shining armour.

Otherwise, I completely agree - a wonderfully charming film that is full of Disney schmooze but in the best way possible. Great heart-warming stuff.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Saw Charlie Wilson's war yesterday. As it is only 'based' on a True story you can't be sure what is fact and fiction, fascinating story though. Tom Hanks on great form as well

Last edited by S'hampton Seagull; 14-01-2008 at 13:46.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      No she wasn't! She was pushed down a wishing well by her evil mother-in-law-to-be. She certainly didn't jump in order to find her knight in shining armour.

Otherwise, I completely agree - a wonderfully charming film that is full of Disney schmooze but in the best way possible. Great heart-warming stuff.
      Mr Picky

It was a complete Joy though Bozza wasn't it. Amy Adams gave a superlative performance in a difficult role. It is a cracking good film and the song and dance routine in Central Park almost had me jump to my feet and applause such a wonderous bit of film making. I loved every single second of it.
      Spielberg is GOD.