Botham Now - Yes or No?

• Immortal Super Hero - Should be Chairman of Selectors

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Opinionated Has-Been Journalist Who Knows Nowt About the Modern Game

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Given his views and apparent influence on key England players since he retired, from De Freitas, to Gough, to Flintoff ("too drunk to catch"), what do you think?

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/317725.html
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/317554.html

Former coach takes aim at Botham's 'unbelievable' views

Fletcher blasts Botham's influence

Cricinfo staff

October 30, 2007

Duncan Fletcher on Ian Botham: 'He thinks the players listen to him, but they do not' © Martin Williamson

Ian Botham had an unhealthy influence on Andrew Flintoff and has long caused difficulties in the England set-up, according to England's former coach Duncan Fletcher in the latest extract of his autobiography, Behind the Shades.

"It did worry me that Botham influenced Andrew Flintoff far too much on that [2006-07] Ashes tour," Fletcher wrote. Although the pair are good friends - Botham has long been a hero of Flintoff - Fletcher said that other members of the England side don't hold him in the same high regard.

"He thinks the players listen to him, but they do not," Fletcher said. "Often you would go into the dressing-room and hear the players in exasperation saying things like: 'Have you heard what Botham is saying about the wicket?' Botham's commentary has long caused problems."

After England's match against Canada in the World Cup, England were invited by Rod Bransgrove - the Hampshire chairman - onto his boat for a party. "In the dressing room...Kevin Pietersen, who knows Bransgrove well from Hampshire, was asking the other players who was going on the boat," Fletcher wrote. "At least four or five of the senior players asked: 'Is Botham going?'

"Pietersen found out Botham was indeed going and, when he relayed this in the dressing-room, a unanimous call of 'no thanks' rang out. None of the players went.
For once they were standing up to someone in the media."

Fletcher and Botham's relationship "deteriorated over time", and tensions between the pair were constantly kindled by Botham's "unbelievable" views. "Back in 2004 in Jamaica, Sky called a meeting with Michael Vaughan and me, intended to improve the relationship between the broadcasters and the team," Fletcher wrote. "Present at a restaurant, owned by a relation of Michael Holding, were Holding himself, executive producer Barney Francis and David Lloyd.

"It was interesting that Botham was not there because most of the conversation centred around him as he appeared the one obstacle to improving the relationship. Some critics said he was inconsistent in his thoughts and did not do enough investigative work before a day's commentary."

© Cricinfo

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
Given his views and apparent influence on key England players since he retired, from De Freitas, to Gough, to Flintoff ("too drunk to catch"), what do you think?

Cricinfo staff

October 30, 2007

Duncan Fletcher on Ian Botham: 'He thinks the players listen to him, but they do not' © Martin Williamson

Ian Botham had an unhealthy influence on Andrew Flintoff and has long caused difficulties in the England set-up, according to England's former coach Duncan Fletcher in the latest extract of his autobiography, Behind the Shades.

"It did worry me that Botham influenced Andrew Flintoff far too much on that [2006-07] Ashes tour," Fletcher wrote. Although the pair are good friends - Botham has long been a hero of Flintoff - Fletcher said that other members of the England side don't hold him in the same high regard.

"He thinks the players listen to him, but they do not," Fletcher said. "Often you would go into the dressing-room and hear the players in exasperation saying things like: 'Have you heard what Botham is saying about the wicket?' Botham's commentary has long caused problems."

After England's match against Canada in the World Cup, England were invited by Rod Bransgrove - the Hampshire chairman - onto his boat for a party. "In the dressing room...Kevin Pietersen, who knows Bransgrove well from Hampshire, was asking the other players who was going on the boat," Fletcher wrote. "At least four or five of the senior players asked: 'Is Botham going?'

"Pietersen found out Botham was indeed going and, when he relayed this in the dressing-room, a unanimous call of 'no thanks' rang out. None of the players went.

Fletcher and Botham's relationship "deteriorated over time", and tensions between the pair were constantly kindled by Botham's "unbelievable" views. "Back in 2004 in Jamaica, Sky called a meeting with Michael Vaughan and me, intended to improve the relationship between the broadcasters and the team," Fletcher wrote. "Present at a restaurant, owned by a relation of Michael Holding, were Holding himself, executive producer Barney Francis and David Lloyd.

"It was interesting that Botham was not there because most of the conversation centred around him as he appeared the one obstacle to improving the relationship. Some critics said he was inconsistent in his thoughts and did not do enough investigative work before a day's commentary."

© Cricinfo

Not a cricket fan myself but I get the impression that the man is a coward and a bully!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Was it not Fletcher who was in charge of the team when the captain turned up to training drunk and then half the squad disappeared on a pedalo during the night?

Perhaps the ramifications of central contracts were not considered when the idea was devised.

Stumpy Tim

Botham may have been a great player, but he knows nothing about the finer elements of the game. Everytime I listen to him commentating I cringe. I remember one game he was moaning about the field selection, and having some on the leg-side boundary... next ball the batsman was out, caught by that very fielder. An example of the rubbish he spouts

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, all of us are happy to give it on here, why should Sir Beefy have to keep his mouth shut if he sees something he doesn't like about cricket. It would be easy to say that he had his day, the early to mid 80's, and knows nothing about the modern game...there are plenty on NSC who hark on about the 60's or 70's being a golden age for the Albion, have they had their day too?...absolutely not, they give opinion based on their experience...substitute watching the Albion for playing cricket for England.

I would tend to agree that if Ian Botham were to have been involved with English cricket at a senior level it should have been about 10 years ago, in that respect maybe his time has gone. However, the behaviour of the England players during the World Cup was frankly an embarassment...you wouldn't see the same from the Aussies, Pakistanis or South Africans...but then, they are professional and tend to win things.

Stumpy Tim

However, the behaviour of the England players during the World Cup was frankly an embarassment...you wouldn't see the same from the Aussies, Pakistanis or South Africans...but then, they are professional and tend to win things.

Is that the Pakistani's who recently had a player sent home for hitting another with a cricket bat? Or who walked out of a test match in protest at a bad decision.

Or is it the South African's whose best two young batsman refuse to play for them - one of whom is doing pretty well for England. The South African's who had 11 players caught taking drugs on tour a few years ago.

Or the Aussies whose captain launched a tirade of abuse at the England crowd after being run-out. The Aussies whose best player ever was banned for a year for taking illegal subtances. The Aussies whose previous captain & best player were fined for accepting money from bookies.

I am thinking of the same people aren't I?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Is that the Pakistani's who recently had a player sent home for hitting another with a cricket bat? Or who walked out of a test match in protest at a bad decision.

Or is it the South African's whose best two young batsman refuse to play for them - one of whom is doing pretty well for England. The South African's who had 11 players caught taking drugs on tour a few years ago.

Or the Aussies whose captain launched a tirade of abuse at the England crowd after being run-out. The Aussies whose best player ever was banned for a year for taking illegal subtances. The Aussies whose previous captain & best player were fined for accepting money from bookies.

I am thinking of the same people aren't I?

Didn't Ponting get sacked from vice-captaincy for drink-related issues as well?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't Ponting get sacked from vice-captaincy for drink-related issues as well?

He did but it's a bit harsh to use that against the Aussie side, or indeed him, considering he was an alcoholic and overcame his issues to become one of the best batsmen (and captains) of his generation.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Cricinfo staff

October 30, 2007

© Cricinfo

Fletcher has become a joke. He lets the England captain arrive for a training session in such a state that he cannot even throw a cricket ball but decides to keep the matter quiet for the umpteenth time.

Ex players always annoy current pros when they turn into analysers. It happens in football all the time.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He did but it's a bit harsh to use that against the Aussie side, or indeed him, considering he was an alcoholic and overcame his issues to become one of the best batsmen (and captains) of his generation.

I'm not using it against him, merely saying that other team's and players have these problems to. I think it's also fairly likely that Flintoff has a drink problem and is not just someone who occasionally goes a little too far

I'm not using it against him, merely saying that other team's and players have these problems to. I think it's also fairly likely that Flintoff has a drink problem and is not just someone who occasionally goes a little too far

Spoke with some Lancs members during their county match vs Hants at the Rose Bowl during the summer and they were very pissed off with Flintoff. His drinking seems to be well known about amongst the supporters; it appears that he's got a local businessman as a 'mate' who leads him astray. Can't remember the guy's name but it sounds a bit like the relationship between Gascoigne and Jimmy ??Bellies.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Hairy muff.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's very difficult to undertake the role of a media pundit whilst, at the same time, mixing and sometimes coaching the players.

Personally, I like Botham as a pundit. I'm not looking to agree with everything he says, but I respect his views because he is a winner and has a proven track record of success.

He'll make the odd gaffe, but then any pundit prepared to put their neck on the line with their views usually will. I'd rather have that than the tedium of, say, a David Lloyd, who I find annoying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here