Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Los Peladitos. What a great club

Sloth loves Chunk

Nov 14, 2003
As I was visiting New York City I called Gareth Glover to see if I could anything for the REMF. Here's what happened...

On the Saturday I set off with a bag containing Los Peladitos documents and a new uhlsport football. Unfortunately, a bottle of water leaked and covered everything. After successfully drying out the letters over a gas flame back at the hotel it was the bag's turn. I was distracted by a friend chatting and managed to set fire to the bloody thing! I had no contact details for the team but knew they trained on Saturday or Sunday morning and the coach's name was 'Julio'.

I eventually arrived at Flushing Meadow Park around 1pm, fully expecting to be out of luck. I spotted a bloke wearing a poncho with 'Ecuador', in huge letters, emblazoned across the back. He'd never heard of Los Peladitos so I set off to search round the park. I was getting a bit downhearted after spotting a couple of teams and then, as I was leaving the park, I noticed a load of shirts in the distance with big circles across the chest. It was Los Peladitos under 15s warming up!

I met Julio and we chatted while his team took on the Argentine Soccer Club in a friendly. These boys sure can play. Despite an absolutely atrocious pitch, with the only grass on the flanks, sandy gravel down the centre, and tree bark covered penalty areas they strolled into a 3-0 lead penning their fellow South Americans in their own half for the entire first period. My new friend asked if I wanted to see the kids play. As it was gone 1 I assumed I'd missed all the young 'uns. We drove to his hardware store in downtown Queens, met his son, and then walked a couple of hundred yards to the Louis Armstrong Recreation Center.

As I passed Julio's two daughters on the way in I could hear a fair bit of shouting and screaming. The raucous atmosphere was generated by the 200 or so Mums, Dads and kids parked on the 20 rows of wooden terracing. They were watching the Big Apple Youth Soccer League.

A table straddled the half way line and was manned by a portly chap and two coaches. A live commentary over the loud speakers certainly generated some noise, as did the intermittent raffle draws throughout the match! The portly chap was in fact the league's president, Luis. He explained to me just how important the REMF was and what a difference it had made to his impoverished community.

The kids speak Spanish when they play football because, as Julio pointed out, it's important that they know and understand their roots. They are taught English at school so will grow up with two languages, a big advantage when the youngsters eventually go out to work.

After the obligatory photos I settled down to watch the game from the LPFC bench. In the dying seconds, after being 4-2 down, they equalised to send the crowd crazy. Along with the entire team, coaches, and half the crowd Julio's wife invaded the pitch to dance with joy! It was great to see little kids really enjoying themselves in a safe and fiercely community-orientated environment.

To everyone who has helped to raise funds for the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund, you should be very proud of yourselves. This is only just the beginning…

Pictures to follow

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That was really great to read. Thanks

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dan

As said before a superb effort on your part. Thanks for all you have done and I will keep you updated as to future events including local team grants, auction and match 3 due early May 2004.

Also I will see if Roz/Simon can put it on the remf website under Los Peladitos 1 year on.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
That's fantastic stuff. Nice to hear some good news today.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
"Along with the entire team, coaches, and half the crowd Julio's wife invaded the pitch to dance with joy!"

:clap2: :bounce: :flameboun :bounce: :clap2:

Classic post - and such a great effort from all concerned.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
tip top . . . . its nice to know everyones efforts actually were to their benefit . . . . and its still working

this will probably contribute towards England getting stuffed by USA in a world cup group game in about 5-10 years ! :lolol:

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Good report. Thanks SLC.

What's happened to our boys from the NY office? Haven't heard from Zig or NY Geezer for a while.
I met them both last November. 2 fine lads, Los Peladitos were not in action during my visit, but by all accounts were progressing well and really appreciate the help that the REMF has given them.
Robert would be proud.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Zig and NY Geezer have gone awol. If they read this please report in !.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mods - Could you transfer this thread to the remf site before it is lost.

Thanks.

Gareth

That brought back memories of the great time we had when we met Julio and Luis last year.

The footballing skills of these kids are incredible, considering the conditions they have to play in at Flushing Meadow. And the support they have from their families is like nothing I have ever come across in Britain.

The Louis Armstrong Recreation Center has some good facilities, but Los Peladitos struggle to get the use of it that they need. Essentially, it's there to support more mainstream sports like basketball. Football played by latino kids gets very little support from the authorities in Queens, which is why they have to make do with the stony mud flats at Flushing Meadow - almost in the shadow of the World's finest tennis stadium.

If you've supported REMF ... be very proud of what Los Peladitos are achieving.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

After all the depressing posts on NSC this week, a truly heartwarming post that has really brightened my mood. I'm so glad that Los peladitos are continuing to prosper. I'm very proud of everything that the organisers and participants of the REMF have done.

A stunningly good job from all, there is no praise to high for all concerned.

New York Geezer

Feb 4, 2004
Bermondsey
Apologies for going AWOL (see Lord Cornwallis comment & GG response). Been busy and lazy in that I failed to re-register following earlier tech probs with the Board.

I will try and locate Zig, have various 'phone numbers for him both here and in NYC. I'll mention that Dwayne was asking after him, that should lure him out of where ever he is!

Will be in the Apple in a month or so, should be able to visit Los P.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here