Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

just how rough is Whitehawk?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I ask this because Asda apparently don't do deliveries of micro-chips and turkey twizzlers to Whitehawk as there have been too many attacks. Only 2 other places in the country have these bans. Moss Side and Croxteth DON'T have this ban.

I must confess, I never go there - why would I? I did rent a room in a flat in Swanborough Drive when I first moved to Brighton but that was over 10 years ago.

So.....how rough is it?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/loca...upermarket_orders_staff_to_snub_community.php

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
gripsround.jpg

This rough!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought Croxteth was quite posh - child-killings aside. Did you mean Toxteth?

My ex-girlfriend lived/lives in Whitehawk, and there are some awful people and some awful places. However, these are a minority, and the vast majority are decent people. The air of the place that comes across is the community spirit - and it is quite strong, sometimes to the point of witch-hunts and lynch mobs... Well, not quite, but be wary of crossing into the path of self-righteousness.

It can get rough, but Blackbird Leys it ain't.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
in a previous delivery job i had, one guy in w'hawk was very helpful to me, changing a burst care tyre (in the rain, late at night). i offered him a feqw quid for his troubles, but it was declined.

i felt more uneasy going to some places, in moulscoomb..

- so, it looks like Lidl will have the monopoly in 'hawk, now?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well if the community is so dismayed, then maybe its time they sorted the problems out. time and again these estates with trouble have a culture of silence and nothing get reported to the poilce and no one "witnesses" anything. if residents reported and followed up every little misdemeanor, one the police stats would soar and they'd get some bobies on the beat and two those who want to cause trouble will get punished.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

There are two Croxteths: the estate where Rhys Jones was killed is quite posh but the old council estate is as rough as arseholes. I've been there many times and it looks like something from the Third World.

My dad was from Whitehawk until he moved up in the world and moved to Moulsecoomb. I've been to Whitehawk several times and it seems all right to me.

The 'danger' of such places is always exaggerated.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It's like anywhere isn't it, the estate, like Moulsecoomb, has its fair share of idiots (being generous there), but there's also a lot of very decent people who don't deserve the crap brought about in their name by the stupid few.

Re Croxteth, I was up that way a few weeks ago and one of the local coppers told me that it was pretty much as Gwylan says: there is a slightly more upmarket bit, but the main estate can be like Baghdad.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

My ex-girlfriend lived/lives in Whitehawk, and there are some awful people and some awful places. However, these are a minority, and the vast majority are decent people. The air of the place that comes across is the community spirit - and it is quite strong, sometimes to the point of witch-hunts and lynch mobs... Well, not quite, but be wary of crossing into the path of self-righteousness.

It can get rough, but Blackbird Leys it ain't.

The Blackbird Leys estate is that in Oxford ?

Nice pub there to pop in on the way to the Kassam ;)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
well if the community is so dismayed, then maybe its time they sorted the problems out. time and again these estates with trouble have a culture of silence and nothing get reported to the poilce and no one "witnesses" anything. if residents reported and followed up every little misdemeanor, one the police stats would soar and they'd get some bobies on the beat and two those who want to cause trouble will get punished.

mate it really unfortunately doesnt work like that, have you ever lived on a rough estate?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It's like anywhere isn't it, the estate, like Moulsecoomb, has its fair share of idiots (being generous there), but there's also a lot of very decent people who don't deserve the crap brought about in their name by the stupid few.

Yep very true.

l

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Blackbird Leys estate is that in Oxford ?

Nice pub there to pop in on the way to the Kassam ;)

Indeed. I ended up in Blackbird Leys by mistake after three or four pints at lunchtime. Not a very nice place, to put it mildly. Burnt out cars, gangs looking for trouble, poverty and destitution. Every girl between the age of 11-15 had at least one baby - I think it was compulsory. I have never met anyone else that has been to Blackbird Leys. Perhaps I am the only one to have survived!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Many moons ago I pulled a girl in a Night Club and went back to her Mums place with her mate and one of mine and it was a good night and she lived in Whitehawk.

Nice lady called Lorraine with ginger hair (all over) suffice to say on the Sunday morning as I walked back down the hill from the flats at the back I became quite scared and thought I might get a kicking.

Nice memories and I am sure it is a reasonable place.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thinking about it, Asda is only at the bottom of Whitehawk. Can't they walk to the shops and back? The Argus have printed a picture of 2 of 'hawks finest honeyz symnolically destroying an asda bag.

image.php

Feel free to make up your own jokes about it

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Had a neighbour who lived there from about 1998 to 2003, and liked it there saying there was only one murder, and described it similar to what others described it. Not bad although she has also lived in Gillingham and Crawley (her home town). LOL

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Willowhayne estate around East Preston is well rough. When I lived there a few years ago there was 3 instances of milk going missing off doorsteps.
Our local vicar said it was probably druggies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here