Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice places to live near Brighton

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
Sorry to ask this, I’m sure its been asked on here a number of times…..
I’m looking to move back to Sussex after years away. Any suggestion? If you are still with me here are some criteria..

- village/town outside of Brighton, up to 10/15 miles away
- decent schools
- near a train link to London
- nice, not shit

Other than the local council what’s Lewes like?

I keep telling the wife: of course I know the area, leave it to me, I support the team and went to school in Eastbourne for crying out loud. However, I only really know Preston Park and Gillingham. The wife fancies Redhill to be near her mother, for****ssake. Help me…

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Plumpton fits the bill there nicely !!!

Lewes is strange, I'd avoid

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The answer is one of the villages around Haywards Heath. Excellent rail service from HH, mostly good schools, pleasant countryside.

But be warned it's expensive and you'll be cursed with Tory MPs and councils.

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks for those.

Seriously, what's up with Lewes? I thought it was all friendly butchers and bonfires isn't it?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
at the risk of bigging up my village i think hassocks would fit your bill.

Agreed, I'm in Hurstpierpoint myself. Good area for families and Downlands is a quality school. A few decent (and a few not so decent) pubs around and plenty of shops and restaurants.

Now I'm 23, it's not quite so appealing and moving somewhere sooner rather than later is on the cards for me.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Depends how much money you have and what you are looking for. Lewes is expensive and an absolute bitch to find somewhere in.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Gotta be next to the Sea for me...otherwise could be anywhere !?!

Anywhere Seaford Westward or Worthing Eastward...always be in touching distance of Brighton for me...........you never know when you might need its charms.....Football not withstanding !!!

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Falmer is nice and quiet. Well, for the next 3 years it is.

Very friendly football loving people.

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
Good tips, much appreciated.

I'm essentially a very lazy person so this brief exchange of emails is likely to form my rational for where I live for the next 10 years.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A nice place but slightly further away is Pulborough, it's on a river and does have a train service but there again Arundel is nice too. It would largely depend on where you commute too. I used to Live in Hassocks and wouldn't recommend it personally as it's quite large for a village but has poor facilities such as shops.

Lewes on the other hand is pretty good all round.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
If you want to be right next to the sea, I do lurve the Saltdean & Rottingdean area, which is only 5 miles from the city centre.

It has very good local schools, solid family houses at reasonable prices, and Rottingdean has some excellent village pubs.

It's far enough away from the *cosmopolitan* delights of central Brighton for loads of peace and quiet - incidentally it has one of the lowest crime rates in all of B & H - but the city centre with all its facilities is only 10 minutes drive away if you need it.

:thumbsup:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Any of these suggestions work compared to Redhill. Have you ever been there? I worked there for two years and its a desperate place.

Burgess Hill has got the good points of Hassocks and Haywards Heath without the downside of both. Its big enough to have a choice of more than two pubs but not as stuck up as the Heath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here