Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Nicks

having a change from thrillers and crime mysteries and reading The Traitor Of Colditz by Robert Verkaik.

Its absolutely brilliant. Written like a story, not like a textbook, but all factual, it really is a brilliant read. Lots of stuff in this book I'd never heard of, and the level of research is evident throughout. Highly recommended.

I'm now going to have to seek out the old BBCTV series "Colditz" again.
Just finished it last week.
Brilliant read

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Collected Stories - Paul Theroux

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Turning Over the Pebbles-Mike Brearley

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
South from the Limpopo - Dervla Murphy

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is hugely entertaining.
Who knew that Douglas Bader was an absolute c*nt ?

Attachments

• 20230623_005237.jpg
    20230623_005237.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nul Points - Tim Moore

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jo Nesbo - Killing Moon. The last in the series.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Should be plural (there were two of them).
One of them was Rudi Vrba, who taught me in Vancouver (and signed my leaving pressy - a football). Amazing bloke.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just started The Escape Artist by Johnathan Freeland.

All about the man who broke out of Auschwitz to warn the world.
Just discovered this book is about Rudi Vrba. Crikey.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just discovered this book is about Rudi Vrba. Crikey.
There is at least one film made of it, really good watch, part documentary, part dramatisation, with Vrba interviewed. I believe the two protagonists fell out in the end as the other guy didn't agree with Vrba's constant publicity seeking over the story.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just started The Escape Artist by Johnathan Freeland.

All about the man who broke out of Auschwitz to warn the world.

1687803420887.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is at least one film made of it, really good watch, part documentary, part dramatisation, with Vrba interviewed. I believe the two protagonists fell out in the end as the other guy didn't agree with Vrba's constant publicity seeking over the story.
Rudi wasn't seeking publicity for himself. And the big row was with people in his own community. He was unbelievably angry about passive gormless complicity. There is a lot of this on the wiki page: "In addition to blaming Kastner and the Hungarian Aid and Rescue Committee for having failed to distribute the Vrba–Wetzler report, Vrba criticized the Slovakian Jewish Council for having failed to resist the deportation of Jews from Slovakia in 1942. When he was deported from Slovakia to the Majdanek concentration camp in Poland in June that year, the Jewish Council had known, he alleged, that Jews were being murdered in Poland, but they did nothing to warn the community and even assisted by drawing up lists of names.[258] He referred to Jewish leaders in Slovakia and Hungary as "quislings" who were essential to the smooth running of the deportations: "The creation of Quislings, voluntary or otherwise, was, in fact, an important feature of Nazi policy" in every occupied country, in his view.[259]"

Rudi was an amazing bloke. Always courteous, always dapper. His one bit of advice to me was this. Never explain. I understand very well what he meant.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
The Romantic by William Boyd, I've enjoyed some of his other novels but this one I find very hard work. I've given up on Hide and Seek by James Patterson but it does have some football content which makes Roy of the Rovers seem realistic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here