Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Gates Of Athens by Conn Iggulden. I am a sucker for his historical books, my favourite of the genre along with CJ Sansom

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Just started Red Storm Rising....for the 4th time!

Clancy's finest (imo)

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Night Ferry - Michael Rowbotham

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Country Girls Trilogy by Edna O' Brien

over 600 pages to get lost in and an easy read. Attracted to the fact it was originally banned in Ireland and branded as filth I bought it when Waterstones reopened.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just finished 'Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup' and can highly recommend it. It's the true story of medical tech company Theranos and its Steve Jobs-wannabe founder Elizabeth Holmes. Think Enron scandal. It's written by two times Pulitzer prize winning Wall Street Journal investigative reporter John Carreyrou and is soon to be A Major Motion Picture starring Jennifer Lawrence and directed by Adam McKay (The Big Short, Vice). Reads like a page-turner thriller, will resonate with anyone who ever experienced a toxic white collar work environment. If the film is anywhere near as good as the book then we're in for a real treat

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just finished 'Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup' and can highly recommend it. It's the true story of medical tech company Theranos and its Steve Jobs-wannabe founder Elizabeth Holmes. Think Enron scandal. It's written by two times Pulitzer prize winning Wall Street Journal investigative reporter John Carreyrou and is soon to be A Major Motion Picture starring Jennifer Lawrence and directed by Adam McKay (The Big Short, Vice). Reads like a page-turner thriller, will resonate with anyone who ever experienced a toxic white collar work environment. If the film is anywhere near as good as the book then we're in for a real treat
the big short along with margin call and the laundromat .....is/are great films and also a heavy underlining of what is wrong with the planet currently.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
"An Appeal To Reason" by Nigel Lawson!! Very dry but reading for research for a play. Unsurprisingly perhaps he is a strong climate change skeptic/denier. Those very terms skeptic/denier are controversial in fact so use them advisedly. Book was written back in 2008 and he has since accepted that humans are affecting climate but he now basically disputes by how much and how we respond from an economic point of view.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Clear Waters Rising - Nicolas Crane

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Blood, Sweat & Tyres - The Hairy Bikers

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Magician by Raymond E. Feist

my undoubted favourite book, if you like this one I recommend the "Empire series" written by Feist and Janny Wurts- its set on the Tsuranuanni homeworld, and whilst it stands perfectly well as a seperate series ,there are several characters that cross over from Magician, reading the first "Daughter of the Empire" will enhance Magician no end. It gives a greater understanding of the reasons behind the Rift War.

The sequel to magician Silverthorne has some dodgy patches and acts as a bridge to the next, but the third book "Darkness at Sethanon" is superb

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Two Thousand Games by Brian Horton

A very odd book. Whole chapters contributed by others like Mullery and Lawro and a truly crap ghostwriter on Nobby's behalf. Reads a bit like he's been given Brian's notebook of memories and tried to flesh out the words in to sentences and sentences in to paragraphs without doing it very well. Clearly has no issues repeating whole sentences and bouncing around the timeline. The unexpected jumps from subject to subject can be a bit jarring. Apparently our Nobby was very impressed by the amount of work and detail Eric Morecombe put in to preparing his routines (no sh1t Sherlock). I'm still waiting for an example to illustrate it!

Nonetheless, a thoughtful birthday present which I am enjoying despite the issues with it. A great read for a Brighton fan.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
my undoubted favourite book, if you like this one I recommend the "Empire series" written by Feist and Janny Wurts- its set on the Tsuranuanni homeworld, and whilst it stands perfectly well as a seperate series ,there are several characters that cross over from Magician, reading the first "Daughter of the Empire" will enhance Magician no end. It gives a greater understanding of the reasons behind the Rift War.

The sequel to magician Silverthorne has some dodgy patches and acts as a bridge to the next, but the third book "Darkness at Sethanon" is superb

Yeah, I loved it. I’ve read a lot of fantasy and only just got round to it. I was missing out. Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll definitely continue the series. Though I’ve got a few other things to read first.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Spanish Steps - Tim Moore

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Judge - Robin Smith's autobiography. I'm not normally a fan of sporting bios but I was interested to know how such a fine player ended up a hopeless drunk.

Haven't reached that part yet

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Just started The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet: Wayfarers 1 by Becky Chambers.

Space Science Fiction isn't my usual beat, but I'm enjoying it so far

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
New Europe - Michael Palin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here