Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Step by Step - Simon Reeve

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Armageddon (The battle for Germany 1944-45) by Max Hastings. Re-reading this to change things up after reading a lot of American Civil War stuff lately.

The account of the Red Army advancing into Germany and the pitiless scale of the rape, murder and general destruction is harrowing. Of course this was revenge for similar activities by the SS etc. in Eastern Europe but doesn't make pleasant reading. You can see why the German military wanted to serve on the Western rather than Eastern Front...

An obscure War Book got loaned to me by my ex RAF Pilot mate the other day. Gunners Moon is the story of an Air Gunner on Lancasters who started the War as Groundcrew but for some reason volunteered to become Aircrew on Heavy Bombers. His luck runs out around 2/3rd of the way through the Tour, but you could argue it was good luck as his whole crew survived the Crash Landing to become POWs. Unlike 55,000 of his colleagues.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Nothing Ventured - Jeffrey Archer

The guy might be an arrse, but he can't half spin a yarn

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Been re-reading the Sharpe series during lockdown. Cornwell is such a good story teller.

Has anyone read Phillip Kerr's football books? They get variable reviews on goodreads.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have just finished re-reading The Bridge by Iain Banks. I first read it over 25 years ago, and it had a massive effect on me then.

What a truly magnificent book. Mind-bending, emotional, funny and unique.

I'm gonna have to read some of his other books again now. What a writer that man was.

I was given that as a pressy by Mrs T when we were courting.

It worked.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Reading two at the moment,

Nothing Ventured - Jeffrey Archer, as Barry Izbak said above, the guy might be an arse but he does tell a good story.

TAIL - END CHARLIES
The Last Battles of the Bomber War 1944/45 - John Nichol & Tony Rennel

The title refers to both the battles fought by RAF Bomber Command and the USAAF at the tail end of the war and individual stories from the rear gunners who were also known as 'tail end charlies'. A very moving book that addresses the reality of the decisions made at the time as well as the moral questions that these decisions provoke when viewed retrospectively from both the Allies and Germans.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Under Fire (Le Feu: journal d'une escouade) by Henri Barbusse, it is the story of a French squad in the trenches in 1916 - seems a very good read so far...gives a different perspective on fighting on the Western Front.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Just finished "The Tattooist of Auschwitz" by Heather Morris.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
From Crime to Crime.
Richard Henriques

High court judge on his experiences in court, from the Jamie Bulger case to Shipman, Jill Dando, the Morecambe bay cockle pickers and the Leeds United players.

Interesting content written in the sort of puffed up superior way you would unfortunately expect from such a senior and self important member of the judiciary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here