Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
68CB1CE1-E699-48E3-917D-7D8F6C96D7B5.jpeg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Appeasing Hitler by Tim Bouverie - saw him talk with Jon Snow and Cressida Connolly at the Charleston Festival yesterday which inspired me to get his book. So far so good - a fresh take on the indecision, failed diplomacy and parliamentary infighting that led to or failed to prevent the Nazi invasion of Europe and the second world war.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The Wise Man’s Fear-Patrick Rothfuss.
Book 2 following on from The Name of the Wind. Given all the hype about this fantasy Series I’m just a touch disappointed. Really needs to move quicker as spending over a book length on The hero’s early University life is not ideal. Now I’ve heard he has written a spin off instead of completing the third in the trilogy. Well written though so I’m pressing on gamely at bath times.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Submission by Michel Houellebecq. Very controversial French literary figure and this book - a satire on a France in which the Muslim Brotherhood gets into power - has ruffled many feathers. It was a bit odd reading the bit about his fictional French election results just as the actual European Parliament results were filtering through. I almost expected to hear that the Muslim Brotherhood had made in-roads...…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just finished the well known novel Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John le Carre, an impulse buy at the airport.

Absolutely brilliant.

Although I now know the twists and ending, I want to buy the BBC (Alec Guinness) series DVD ... I was a bit too young when it was aired.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just discovered a really good crime writer called Tana French. She's an American based in Dublin and her stories are set in that city. Finished the first of hers and just started on the second, really gripping stuff. I love a good whodunnit

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Final Days of EMI Selling the Pig by Eamonn Forde

Great if you like music and finance as it tells how EMI coped (or rather failed to cope) with the digital age and the global financial crisis.

Obviously a niche market

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
If anyone likes sci-fi dystopia, I read the Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin recently and thought it was excellent. I thought the story had a clever structure and was nicely paced throughout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here