Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Killing Fields (Jack Reacher). Brother’s been on at me for years to read Lee Child’s creation. Four hundred and forty two page-turning pages about Montana Militia!! Completely divorced from my normal (hi-brow) stuff but cracking storytelling nonetheless.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I finished The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro over Christmas. A remarkable book about football and much more. Unique, accessible and well worth the hype.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
“2000 games, a life in football” by arguably the best midfield player we ever had and who could have been one of our best managers if he had hung on long enough.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

(A book club selection, not my choice)

Half way through. An enjoyable and witty read with tiny local references. So good that Spielberg has picked up the film rights. No need to be embarrassed about reading it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Chastise by Max Hastings - the story of the 617 Squadron Dams Raid, thought I knew a lot about it but lots more information presented, including the depressing fact that it didn't actually do much much damage to the 3rd Reich via the raid.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Just finished Dead Simple by Peter James, based on DI Roy Grace who works for Sussex Police in Brighton. 1st book was based on an attempted murder on the Ashdown Forest. For some reason I loved all the local references, so just started book 2 - Looking Good Dead.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Head Over Heel - Chris Harrison

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
James O'Brien - How not to be wrong

His first book 'How to be right in a world gone wrong' was interesting. I remember all of the callers from his radio show.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Just finished ‘I Am C-3PO’ by Anthony Daniels, mein gott what a whiney, messed-up, unlikeable, narcissistic, self-pitying piece of work he is. Reading that, I can understand why so many found him difficult to work with.

Next stop ‘The Midnight Library’ by Brightonian Matt Haig.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Italian Ways - Tim Parks

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Just finished this. Wasn’t sure what to expect but it was a very enjoyable, quintessentially British yarn. You can see why it’s been so popular.

Half way through. An enjoyable and witty read with tiny local references. So good that Spielberg has picked up the film rights. No need to be embarrassed about reading it.

I thought it was fine. Not great but I was happy enough reading it. However, the more I discussed it at my book club the more I seemed to dislike it. For me, it's 2.5 out of 5.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just started Winds of Change - the third in Peter Hennessy's series about post-war Britain. These are fantastic books: extensively researched and so well-written.

This one covers the end of Macmillan and the arrival of the new Labour government so it's set in what looks like a period of change (although, in reality, little did)

What makes these books stand out is that the reader has no idea whether Hennessey is left or right of centre - that's some feat.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Appeasing Hitler by Tim Bouverie

So many parallels to the current political landscape. Worryingly.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Artificial Intelligence: A Guide for Thinking Humans by (Professor) Melanie Mitchell.

A very easy to follow look at the state of AI today. And don't worry. Skynet isn't coming anytime soon. The computer that beat Kasparov at chess can only play chess and the one that won Jeopardy can only play Jeopardy (and that's because the questions and answers are formulaic). They lack even basic common sense; for example, the ones that can recognise a photo of a dog can't comprehend what it is, that it can move autonomously etc. And if they saw a dog photo with the legs cropped by the framing they couldn't visualise what's missing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here