Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reading the last Shardlake book, Tombland. It's a monster book, could do serious damage if dropped on my foot.

Historical fiction is not normally my thing, but I love these books. There's always a good storyline and plenty of factual detail crammed in. I believe that they're being adapted for television soon.

The author, CJ Sansom, lives in Sussex too so there's a bit of a connection there.

Just finished that, excellent book which dragged a little in the middle, but easy and interesting read

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Home - Harlen Coben

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I am just over halfway through The Silmarillion, I tried to read it as youth after I had completed The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but it was so hard to comprehend at that age and much more complicated than the others.
One of my kids got it for me for Christmas so thought I had better give it another go.
Much better to comprehend now I am not in my teens and enjoying it, though why everything has to have half a dozen different names does not help.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just finished that, excellent book which dragged a little in the middle, but easy and interesting read

I agree. It could have done with some editing but it was a compelling read nonetheless. It also shed light on a historical event that I knew little about,

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I’d never buy anything of hers if I were a Brighton fan. Called us all hooligans v York and got the complete wrong end of the stick when we took action against Archer. Damned us all.
Didn't know that but I use the fantastic Jubilee Library, so didn't buy it.

I'm also dragging my way through Tombland. Wished it was half the length!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
nearly half way through this chunk. talbot book.jpg

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
After reading, and rereading The Lacuna I decided to go for something significantly less highbrow. I picked up Ice Station Zebra by Alistair MacLean, absolutely loved it. Decided to try The Guns of Navarone next, great action packed escapism.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Didn't know that but I use the fantastic Jubilee Library, so didn't buy it.

I'm also dragging my way through Tombland. Wished it was half the length![/QUOTE

Seem to recall her giving Donny fans a hard time over the fire their chairman was eventually convicted of. As I said, not a fan of hers and probably about time I forgave but that’s the trouble with football. Memories die hard! ;)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ben Ackintyre The Spy and the Traitor.

A fascinating Cold War story about Oleg Gordievsky a high ranking KGB member who worked for MI6

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just finished Viv Albertine 's Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music etc. Great read especially if you're into early punk.

We saw her talk here in Faversham a few weeks ago. Brilliant.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
William Boyd - Waiting for Sunrise

I really do like his books

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just finished this. Great fun, albeit a tad messy at the end. I have ordered book 2, and book 3 is coming out in the summer.

ro.jpg

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Non-fiction: Just finished Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre, looking at the underhand tactics used by industry and regulators in the medicines industry. It's a few years old but still relevant, parituclarly as it's a sector I'm involved in.

About to start Touching The Void, having read amazing reviews of it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Finch in my Brain, by Martino Sclavi.

Sclavi has been diagnosed with a stage 4 blioglastoma brain tumour, the most aggressive brain cancer you can get - death usually follows within 18-24 months, but after having an op to remove part of the tumour (including part of the op taking place WHILE HE WAS FULLY CONSCIOUS!), he's still alive. The operation removed the part of the brain that enabled him to read, yet he can still write (hence the book), with the help of a computer voice that reads his sentences back to him.

Its an astonishing read.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
William Boyd: Any human heart. Pleased that a friend recommended this great writer to me.

Incredible book and brilliant TV series, I would suggest Restless next

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thanks for that. Was the TV series recent? ... I missed that I'm afraid, but I'm looking forward to your next 'so excited' post ��

Yes it was, very good as well

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here