Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Started 'Stoner' by John Williams a few nights ago.

It's a really nice, languid read.

Much lauded, but left absolutely no impression on me whatsoever (then again not many books do long term)

Currently The Glorious Heresies by Lisa McInerney, a wonderfully written humorous romp through the Irish underworld.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The Blue Afternoon - William Boyd

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Patrick Leigh Fermor - Mani Travels in the Southern Peloponnese

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
51I5TvsvkQL._SX354_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bloody brilliant. Ignore the peevish reviews.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Just finished Full Disclosure by Stormy Daniels, well reviewed book and an ‘okay’ read. For those interested Trump has got a very hairy ball sack, isn’t greatly endowed, is a really bad kisser and his hair routine is something to behold.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
9781784161019.jpg

One of the best books I’ve read in many, many years, the prose so fluid you can’t stop turning the pages, boy can Boyne write. A children’s author as well, he penned The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. Seriously talented.

Advanced apologies for the large image, oops!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Just finishing Congo by Michael Crichton. A fun mix of techno thriller (written in 1979 but talking of how the internet will be a thing in the 1990s) and jungle adventure with a gorilla called Amy who can speak in sign language.

And I’ve just taken delivery of a secondhand copy of Build a Bonfire.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just finished The Killing Habit by Mark Gillingham.
Best fiction I've read in a while

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Just about to start "The Walls Have Ears" by Helen Fry - A history of the WW2 British intelligence operation based at Trent Park which tricked captured Nazi generals into talking freely about German secrets. The fly cover describes it thus:

On arrival at the stately home of Trent Park, high-ranking German generals would be greeted by tha affable Lord Aberfeldy, second cousin of the King. They were shown comfortable rooms and house servants were instructed to look after their every whim. Little did the Germans know that they were in a huge stage-set, that every plant pot and chandelier hid a listening device and that Lord Aberfeldy himself was a fake. They were then given phoney interrogations, wined and dined, and left to talk among themselves....all the while their bugged conversations were being listened to by a team of listeners and translators, piecing together an incredibly detailed and comprehensive picture of the Nazi war effort.

Looking forward to it!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks for the heads up, going to buy it today.

What do you think? I'm about 300 pages in, and find it profoundly moving. The subtext about the conflict between what we think and what we feel is exquisitely fine. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think I'm off to buy " Me " in the morning, the Elton John autobiography, sounds incredible and apparently he has a nice turn of phrase.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck. First read it at De La Salle College in 1969 so thought it was time to reread as I had it on the shelf. A change from my usual diet of detective stories....

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I'm reading: Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee and Walker Evans. Heard about it from David Simon's top 5 books in The Week. Haven't read enough of the book to pass judgement, but David Simon seems to know what is what.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here