Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers the Army and Navy Store?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
...and why was the Airforce not represented? Eh? Eh?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
There was one is Eastbourne I seem to remember.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Downloaded Penguin said:
...and why was the Airforce not represented? Eh? Eh?

Used to get dragged around there on blue ceoss day before goin to the school uniform on the corner opposite side - Broadley Bros, the bearded brothers were so amusing, any else remember?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I seem to recall there was one in the old Churchill Square.

But, I could be dreaming...although If I am dreaming about crappy shops in dilapidated 60's shopping arcades, I need to get out more.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
¤Dã?n¥ §êãGüLL¤ said:
I used to get combat trousers from there back in the day when they were "in".
Combats??? This was the shop like Hanningtons bottom of George Sr in Hove??

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I remembered the MASSIVE one in Bromley that had a closing-down sale when I had a contract there a couple of years back. the building was MASSIVE inside, on a par with Hanningtons or the London road Co-Op. suppose it's contemporary luxury apartments with the wow! factor now. Oh well.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
JJ McClure said:
There was one is Eastbourne I seem to remember.

there was, its now TK Hughes now i think

There's an enormous difference between THE Army and Navy Store and AN army and navy store.

The Army and Navy Store doesn't sell army surplus stuff.

THE store began as a co-operative society, The Army & Navy Co-operative Society Limited, formed in 1871 by a group of army and navy officers. The intention was to supply 'articles of domestic consumption and general use to its members at the lowest remunerative rates'. The store opened on its present site on 15 February 1872 for the sale of groceries and expanded to include goods as diverse as drapery, drugs, fancy goods and guns. Based on the model of other middle-class co-operatives, such as Civil Service Supply Association (Strand, London, 1864), the society issued tickets to its members in exchange for annual subscription. Membership of 'The Stores' as it became known was open only to those in the higher ranks of the armed forces and the widows of officers as well as the representatives of regimental messes and canteens. In later years membership was expanded to a wider audience and tickets were issued free of charge after 1922. The benefits of membership included a dividend from the profits of the business, the entitlement to deal at the store and the free delivery of goods.

These days THE store is part of the House of Fraser group

House of Fraser Victoria is a department store on Victoria Street in London, England. It is situated within the City of Westminster to the south of St. James's Park and is the only department store to trade in the locality.

The store is part of the House of Fraser group (the Head Offices of which are located above the department store) and traded under the Army & Navy name until 2005. Each of the four selling-floors holds a broad range of merchandise including clothing, accessories and cosmetics, furnishing, household and electrical goods. 'World of Food', a new food hall concept in House of Fraser stores (introduced at Birmingham in 2003), was opened on the Ground Floor to coincide with the store's relaunch under the 'House of Fraser' name.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Fraser_Victoria"

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here