Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

does anyone remember the Red Arrows plane crashing into the sea off Brighton?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
back in the late 70's.

It was straight in front of us.

He was flying low and I think caught a mast of a yatch between the Piers and he ejected out and landed in the sea and the plane bellyflopped into the sea.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Think I read this post before but no, never seen footage either. Aren't they tring to disband the Red Arrows?

Exmouth Seagull

Sep 11, 2003
Yes, I was there, it happened in a flash. Was dead lucky it didnt hit the Pier or the seafront, which were both absolutely packed. I was only about 12, went to watch with a friend from school called Edric, must have been late 70's. I think the pilot ejected just in time and was uninjured. Did they lift the jet out of the sea, or is it still under there?

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Yep remember it well.

We just happened to be driving thru Brighton for some reason and stooped at the filling station that used to be on Marine Parade, just along from the pier when the crash happened.

we had a really good view of it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember it. I was lying in bed with the windows open in a flat just off the seafront on a hot afternoon and heard a huge bang. I turned on the radio and the local radio (was it SCR back then ?) was reporting on it. :cool:

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Exmouth Seagull said:
Did they lift the jet out of the sea, or is it still under there?

They must have lifted it, would be a very popular local dive site otherwise! If they can they always salvage this kind of thing very quickly.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Heffle Gull said:
According to this site it was 17 May 1980.

There is also a picture of the pilot ejecting, whilst the plane is upside down :ohmy:

Crash bang wallop
Johnson_S.htm

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
sitting on the beach at the time very exciting to watch if I remember the plane pulled up at the last min to just miss a boat and only then did the pilot get out very brave

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dave the Gaffer said:
thakyou for pointing that out

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why the rolling eyes? I didn't say fixtures but thought the info on the other thread might be helpful.

D

Deleted User X18H

it was 17th May 1980 my mum took to great photosof seconds after the impact of the yacht mast she sent them to Steve Johnson the unlucky pilot after he appealed for anyone who had taken any to send them in he returned them with a autograph photo a nice letter and the Red Arrows official handbook again signed. I remember watching the plane crash in to the sea we were on the beach in between the piers a every one stood gasped and then utter silence broken my the remining eight planes flying in formation overhead and curtaling the show.

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I was between the piers, happened real quick, did'nt realise at the time it had hit a boat. Seem to remember that they were doing that fly at each other and that spin away thing. Memories of rushing along to crash (sea) site.

Do you remember at the goldstone when they would fly over real low sometimes. I think it was a Bradford game when one let its blue smoke out as it passed over the game, always thought the away fans must have thought it happens every week.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
i had a work mate who was in a boat and he said he was only yards from the incident.that used to be his claim to fame (sad bloke)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here